Best degreaser lab test

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I purchased some degreaser with "PnB" which is propylene glycol n-butyl ether. I was going to degrease the motor/engine bay but there were no instructions on the bottle exempt to rinse it off quickly if used on aluminum and don't get it in your eyes. So now I wonder what would happen if it splashes on the car body (recently painted). So I used a little Simple Green instead. If anyone has a product with "PnB" and can offer me some more information (how to use, where to use, where not to use, warnings) I would appreciate it. In the meantime, I thought I would share the article below that ranks 15 degreasers. Thank you.

Industrial Degreaser Performance Ratings: How the top 15 degreasers stack up

I can tell you from personal experience there is a commercial restaurant degreaser called jolt that is pinkish purple color. Its half price of purple power and literally twice as good. I buy it at a restaurant supply place.

Castrol super clean didnt make the cut. And dont get it on paint. Dribbled some on toolbox and it lifted paint.

I like simple green the most. Hard to find gallons in my small town.

I have used the self serve car wash with a spray wand with good results on motors, transmissions, and engine bays.
For smaller jobs I use Palmolive dishwashing liquid in water. I increase the concentration depending on the amount or age of the grease.

I think PG is edible, it is so safe. It has something to do with water absorption, like it draws water in.
N-Butyl Ether is nasty stuff, but a kick *** solvent for oils and fats. Lots of MSDS on wearing gloves, no flame, and don't breath it....

Ask your local hardware store about B52 Brown Bomber Soap...it is a very good over all product and inexpensive and has directions for use. Can find on internet if interested to read up on it first.

I have been using oil eater in the parts washer pretty good stuff, 50/50 mix

If it has warnings about not exposing it to aluminium too long then it contains an amount of 'lye'.

Gasoline...nothing else comes close

And if you're not happy with the outcome, you can always light them on fire afterwards.... :D

fire.jpg

-
Back