Best electronic ignition for driver 360?

-
pertronics work great.....for up to a yr'ish then fail......

Don't waste the 60+ dollars on one of these pertronic turds
spend the 150'ish+/- on a factory style electronic conversion with new distributor, which btw the old distributor you have now is probably on it's edge 'wear wise', so kill 2 with 1 and skip the turdtronics.

if you were winding 6000rpm and or going for all the hp your mill will offer I would say msd or chrome box + msd distributor mainly.
but it sounds like performance daily driver so...

pertronics=TOTAL GARBAGE

Really.. i can recall at least 3 times a mopar ignition part left me stranded on the road,and now that i mainly do what the car was built for race it,i trust nothing but msd it has NEVER failed me..and running a mopar system and running an msd system is like night and day..msd handsdown the winner :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thats great buy an ignition system you need to carry spare parts for in fear of breaking down:mrgreen::mrgreen:..just buy an msd and be done,my system has performed flawlessly for 4+ seasons of hard racing..mopar quality went out the door years ago..

LOL, I'm just the oposite. I have had a MSD leave me stranded on the road more then a few times. In all honesty, I think it 6 or 7 times there box(s) gave out on me. I'm down to my last box from them. It's lasted a while now.
I have had them purchased brand new only, repaired by them and they all have failed. The current box failed twice. So far, so good, so what, where the wood to knock on?

I've noted the multi spark box's work great on street rides for the added power and mileage. A night and day difference? Only on what is mentioned, not the hot rods though. Preety much for the most part, I'm ignoreing the engines abilty below 3000 rpm anyway, so the multi spark is of no help.

What I'm going to run in my '65 is an MP distributor and I'm hiding the control box. FBO is nothign special and the orange box pulls out timing about 3500rpm so I'm running the Standard Ignition LX-101. That setup is dead stock reliable and all parts can be gotten at any parts store if needed. The harness can be gotten cheap, the distributor is the pricey part. As for a non-factory appearance the MSD with the built in module and electronic advances would be the new hot street setup. It's basically a 6A and pro billet in one part, with three wires to hook up and nothing else. There is little comparison between any factory based distributor and a good multi-spark setup from MSD. The MSDs really are that much better. But the cost is almost 3 times as much and they don't look original. Crane also has some good stuff but no distributors, they are all add-on boxes.

In 20+ years, I have had 1 and only 1 MoPar ignition box fail on me. Now ballast resistors are different. I've had about 3 or 4 go on me. I have found the Standard box to be excellent in terms of reliabilty.

To the OE poster, the "Spare part" mentioned is really only a ballast resistor in the glove box. There under $10. When I first picked up my Cuda, they resistor dumped on me like 3 times. And only once in many years, has one failed on me. Since I learned on the Cuda to carry a spare, I had one with me. (LOL, at the time, they were like 2 bucks, so, no big deal in cost terms.)

I myself run MoPar ignitions. A multi spark box is an excellent add on for power and mileage. It is a worthy addition for the cruiser. I myself plan a Mallory box in the future for the cruiser. There distributors (MP's) have an adjustable vacuum advance and the mechanical advance can be tinkered with. MP has quick advance springs. There like 2 or 3 bucks. FYI, but a cruiser doesn't need it, just a FYI note.

Like said above, Mallory makes them. They makes alot of ignition parts for nearly everybody and have been in biz for a very long time. They have been purchased by Prestolite who have also purchased Jacobs electronics and Accel for there ignition side of there group. Jacobs name was canned and the tech merged into the Mallor and Accel line.
http://www.mrgasket.com/

As noted by some members here, at the track, they have found no difference in time slips with a MP or MSD box being used. A low RPM AKA street engine bennifits most and best from it.

people need to know that old crap wiring in the car and all it's glorious resistance causes many failures of ignition parts, before I re wired my valiant I used to have to change the ballast every 2-3months.
swear to god!

pertronics work great.....for up to a yr'ish then fail......

Don't waste the 60+ dollars on one of these pertronic turds

pertronics=TOTAL GARBAGE

really? the one has been in jamies dart for 4+ years and still starts every time. know a couple other friends using them for more then a year with no issues. guess its like any other electronic device. ya get some lemons sooner or later.

really? the one has been in jamies dart for 4+ years and still starts every time. know a couple other friends using them for more then a year with no issues. guess its like any other electronic device. ya get some lemons sooner or later.

huh, we rev this 440 dart 6800 regularly, maybe that has to do with it.

garbage.jmo/ime

people need to know that old crap wiring in the car and all it's glorious resistance causes many failures of ignition parts, before I re wired my valiant I used to have to change the ballast every 2-3months.
swear to god!

REALLY!? WO! That's crazy. I never heard of such a thing. I beileve you and all, it's just I never heard of so many change outs. WOW!

REALLY!? WO! That's crazy. I never heard of such a thing. I beileve you and all, it's just I never heard of so many change outs. WOW!

yep..crazy but true.

something else friends...make sure you have the right ballast for the coil you are using and also no wether it actually needs one or not.:read2:

over the years i've had ignitions take a crap.

stock- bad pick up in the dist, and numerous ballast, ecu in different cars.
msd- had a 6al take a crap and a digital 6.

sooner or later things go bad. to me these days i'll go with what is the easiest to get parts at the local parts store because i like to drive my car long distances and need to be able to get parts where ever i am. i always carry an extra coil,ecu and ballast in my trunk too.

Yeah, MSDs can suffer from wiring issues. I've fixed them twice (once mine, once customer's) because of the 12v signal wire not being fed right over time due to aged harnesses. I've also ben left once by a resistor (I kept jumper wire hand and just bypassed it) and twice by factory ECUs (never MP ones). It happens. But, I've never lost an MSD. The oldest one I have is 16yrs old. I have several including a spare setup onthe shelf. But for my '65 I want simple so like 1Wild said... get a new MP distributor to be able to curve ti easy, and that's it.

I Have a 6AL on the Dart along with an Orange box system sitting there ready to hook up as a backup. Been stranded by an msd box before.

If I was using a a driver car, I'd put a mopar set up on it and have a spare, pick up, resistor, box handy. An MSD goes kaput, you're done. At least with a mopar set up I can usually get parts to get going at most any parts house.

I Have a 6AL on the Dart along with an Orange box system sitting there ready to hook up as a backup. Been stranded by an msd box before.

If I was using a a driver car, I'd put a mopar set up on it and have a spare, pick up, resistor, box handy. An MSD goes kaput, you're done. At least with a mopar set up I can usually get parts to get going at most any parts house.

agreed

I replaced the points in my 66 several years ago with a stock electronic ignition set up I got out of a mid 80's van in the junk yard for $20 it starts easier runs better and has given me no problems in the three years since I did the swap and I drive it year round including to the nats in ohio and back to philly

Really.. i can recall at least 3 times a mopar ignition part left me stranded on the road,and now that i mainly do what the car was built for race it,i trust nothing but msd it has NEVER failed me..and running a mopar system and running an msd system is like night and day..msd handsdown the winner :cheers::cheers::cheers:

My first question to you would be; were those three failures on new (1-3 years old) ignition systems or a conglomeration of new and 40 year old pieces? If it's the latter can you really make any claims as to the reliability of the system? I would say no.

In the reliability profession there is a phenomena that is referred to as the "Bath Tub Curve". All electronic parts display this phenomena where early in the life the product will display a high failure rate that is refered to as "early life failures" the ramps down to low but constant fialure rate for the life of the product and at the end of life the failure rate ramps up, hence the name "Bath Tub Curve".

Manufacturers go through extensive measures to weed out the "early life failures" by performing stress (temperature, bvibration, shock) screening tests at the factory so the product that is shipped is in that low constant failure rate portion of the curve. The designers are the ones responsible for ensuring the basic design will have an acceptable low constant failure rate and that it will last long enough before it starts to wear out.

BTW, I have had two MSD coils fail in the past 4 years (~ 28,00miles). Both had similar internal high voltage break down. I have also put approx 400,000 miles vehicles purchased new with the mopar electronic ignition and had one ballast resistor fail.

By my calculations that is .07 failures per 1000 miles for MSD and .0025 failures per 1000 miles for Mopar making Mopar 28 times more reliable. None of this is statistically valid, just trying to make a point that you need to look at the big picture and really can't make valid claims based on a small sample of personal experience. That being said I would recomend that to everyone make your decision on what makes you feel comfortable with the realization that you are basing it on small not statistically valid sample.

Am I the only guy here who runs a Crane Fireball Digital ignition? In keeping with the "go different, go Mopar" theme, I decided on that one. A. Has worked flawlessly B is digital not transistorized like the MSD stuff C uses dials instead of chips for setting RPM limit.

It uses the stock Distributor. And if you're looking for a "stock looking ignition" then route the wires and unit inside the dash. My 2 pesos.

Ok ok . . . thanks for all the opinions. I know there are many options available for electronic ignition and I know that there are also just as many opinions! What I was really trying to find out was if one system someone used actually stood out the best or if I should be aware of certain things you need for one vs the other.
Hmmm . . . maybe I'll just go with the good ol' Mopar kit and maybe pick up a pertronics set up later on if I want to try something new. Guess I could always run the ignition box wires through the spedo cable hole in the firewall and mount the actual box up under the dash.

I don't have any personal experience with aftermaket ignitions, but A good mate of mine had all kinds of trouble with his holden 308. Car ran like crap, so he fitted a pertronix. It ran better. The he fitted an MSD, and it ran a milloin times better. but after a few weeks it stopped working. Because he'd bought it off them online, it was gonna cost him $50US (Each way!) to return it to them to get it fixed. So he never did. and went back to the pertronix.
So the previous comment about MSD not being what they once were I would believe. That said, I'd still like one if I could afford it. (They aren't cheap here!)

I've Run one of the original Direct Connection Kits for about 30 years with no problems. Can you imagine when I bought it, I got a New chrome box, New quick curve distributer, new ballast resistor and wiring for $100. I tried an MSD 5? box made for the Chrysler standard electronic ignition plug. It worked fine for years, and one day for grins, I plugged the old chrome box in, and the Barracuda ran better. Sold the MSD box and it's been a Chrome box ever since. I have seen one of the Orange box's fail pretty fast though. I have not run any other system for decades probably.

Is this a site for people who like mopar products ? Lol some times I wonder.Ive had several a bodies that I used as daily drivers for years and never had trouble with the ignition systems . My experience is that its usually the guy working on them not the mopar with the problem. If someone fried and jerry rigged the ignition system or if it's been damaged by the elements your gonna have problems but that's the case with any brand.

Had a petronix on my car when I bought it , worked trouble free for 2 years , switched to mopar electronic when I put in the spare motor , have had no troubles in over 100,000 miles . Both are good , performance wise I see no difference , time slips are the same .

-
Back