Best Gravy

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I love gravy.
What’s your secret recipe? Or is it too much of a secret? I know it matters on what you’re making. Thanks. Kim

My mother made the best beef gravy I have ever had. I love to cook so I tried my hand at making beef gravy. It tasted like I put to much laquire thinner in it. Man it was bad.

I use flour and water for my gravy. I get it to the same consistency in my shaker that I want my gravy then I add a little splash of this to season and get a nice rich dark color. My Grandma used it and my Mom still uses it

1713891313422.png

Depending on what I am adding in, or not you have to start with real butter, flour, seasoning, and whole milk.

If I am making chipped beef gravy I put very little salt in when making the roux because it's already a super salty meat.

The super top secret to making great gravy is, you need a big cast iron skillet to get it done right.

Tom

Isn't it a bummer that something that taste so good is actually bad for us to eat because of the high fat and salt content and too it has no nutritional value to it,but it has flavor

I love gravy too, good gravy.
All the flavor and good stuff is in the drip pan.
My gut won't take a lotta spice, but whatever's in the drip pan, has water added, the bits and black stuff get dissolved as possible, let the grease settle, pour off all the stuff above the grease on the bottom thru a screen to catch the chunks.
I boil up the fluid, add salt etc to taste, thicken with flour/water rue/slurry till thick enuff.
Add all the juices from the cutting board !
I often add a browning made by Cross and Blackwell, adds rich color minimum flavor.
Good luck

IMG_20240423_100139_764.jpg

Last edited:
Now how many of you are picky about what you put the gravy on?

If I am making chipped beef gravy I like it on toast, but if I am making sausage gravy I like it on biscuits.

Tom

Now how many of you are picky about what you put the gravy on?

If I am making chipped beef gravy I like it on toast, but if I am making sausage gravy I like it on biscuits.

Tom
Chicken sausage is the best for gravy then turkey sausage, pork is slop.

I've come to think that every post you make is intended to try to piss someone off.
No, not at all. I have noticed that I'm not supposed to voice my opinion on anything requiredless of what it's about but others can say what they please and nothing gets said. If I made you mad I apologize for it. As far as the comment about pork don't take my word for it simply ask your doctor or heart doctor. Pigs ate scavengers they will eat anything and what they eat you eat

No, not at all. I have noticed that I'm not supposed to voice my opinion on anything requiredless of what it's about but others can say what they please and nothing gets said. If I made you mad I apologize for it. As far as the comment about pork don't take my word for it simply ask your doctor or heart doctor. Pigs ate scavengers they will eat anything and what they eat you eat
No need to apologize Dan,nothing wrong with your opinion.

Grandma Beatrice Alder's "sawmill gravy." You have to make a good lot of pan fried chicken in lard. Save all the drippings including the pieces of fried skin that fall off in the pan. When you save enough of this artery clogging juice and fried skin pieces mix with real butter, milk, salt with flour to thicken and peppermill ground pepper. We do it without specified amounts so you have to do it to taste. It will be very creamy light brown and slightly thickened when you have it right.

Same goes for your beloved chicken. Filthy bird.

Same goes for your beloved chicken. Filthy bird.
I don't know all of the technical details but chickens have a different digestive system than what pigs have, making their meat good for human consumption. I'll will say that if you were to take the time and research out pigs you would find that pork isn't healthy for us to eat. I'm not saying that I've never had pork cause I have. We stopped eating it for health reasons and other things that I won't go into. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, it's a option based on medical research and talking to various doctors and too I'm a heart patient. If we were to get really picky about it both red meat and pork is bad for people, which leaves you with chicken, turkey and fish.

my wife makes the best bacon or sausage gravy in a black iron skillet.with biscuits made from scratch

my wife makes the best bacon or sausage gravy in a black iron skillet.with biscuits made from scratch
Sounds good. Biscuits from scratch are the best and cooked in a black iron skillet is awesome, we use them as well

Way back when, I pretty much lived on "hillybilly steak", bologna gravy was one of my favorites.

Chicken sausage is the best for gravy then turkey sausage, pork is slop.

Where in my post was there any reference to pork?

You just assumed it was pork, and took it apon yourself to make a comment based on your personal dislike for it.

What people do or do not eat is their personal business. The thread is about making gravy. Not what you personally eat, or do not eat.

Tom

Where in my post was there any reference to pork?

You just assumed it was pork, and took it apon yourself to make a comment based on your personal dislike for it.

What people do or do not eat is their personal business. The thread is about making gravy. Not what you personally eat, or do not eat.

Tom
I know that. I was just simply making a comment. I don't care what folks eat. And gravy is awesome. I do know that most on here like to make a mountain out of a mole hill, they complain about pretty much anything. I understand what you're saying and if you ever decide you want to learn something about the clean and unclean foods I'd be glad to tell you about those

-
Back