Best Intake for a 408

-
You have it the Performer RPM is the best intake.Period.If you have the room a 1" 4 hole tapered spacer.

If anyone local to Pa. 16229 had one of these intakes I’m curious enough that I would gasket match it to the gasket I use on Edelbrock heads and flow test it for free. And give everyone the results.

In my experience and observing dyno pulls on YouTube (such as Nick's Garage), it is HP under the curve that is most important. Peak HP is for bench racing, torque under the power curve makes the vehicle move. That being said, look at a few of the articles on intake selection such as DIY Mopar. Building Mopar Engines for Performance: Intake Manifolds - Mopar DiY Or the Steve Dulcich article on manifolds. Mopar Small-Block Intake Manifold Flow Test This 340 build article is also interesting showing how different components impact HP. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0102_1970_340_high_performance_mill_dyno/index.html
This article has some dyno pulls which if analyzed will give HP under the curve data. Excel will do this easily. Modifying And Testing A Dodge 360-Cube LA Small-Block On The Dyno
There is one more article that I remember that compared many manifolds with dyno numbers. the RPM Air Gap had the most area under the curve in that analysis so would provide best overall performace although another manifold did have more peak HP.
But some of the selection is all about image too, so chose what you think works best and runs hard. Most selections will be within 5 HP of each other anyway.

As I read all this I wonder about the new TF single plane.
Has anyone tried one ?
I have both an air gap and a trick flow.

Has anyone tried one ?

I know I’d love to try one. But you’d have more luck finding a virgin in a French ***** house than one of those buggers.

And if you do find one, the virgin French ***** would be cheaper.

I know I’d love to try one. But you’d have more luck finding a virgin in a French ***** house than one of those buggers.

And if you do find one, the virgin French ***** would be cheaper.

I really liked the little I saw of that speedmaster single plane intake but they must be pretty rare too.

I have a 410 stroker in my car and I had an air gap intake and it made 390rwhp on the dyno. I changed cam to afew degrees bigger(from 238 @ 50 with 110 l/sep to a 241 @50 with a 112 l/sep) and changed to a Victor 340 manifold . It now made 425 rwhp but lost a bit of torque on the dyno but in real world driving (5 speed manual) I cannot notice any difference. I feel it is noticably quicker especially as when you just put your foot into it in second gear it just goes mad with wheelspin immediately to 6500rpm. Lets face it with a stroker 410 how much torque do you need in a 3000lb car?

Has anyone tried one ?
I emailed TF back in October asking about projected availability. They replied there was no date. Pretty much letting life slip on by waiting for one from them.:rolleyes:

Lets face it with a stroker 410 how much torque do you need in a 3000lb car?

Very subjective. Depends on how one uses it. What they want. I, ATM, prefer a happy medium. For the street my answer is all you can get and still run great at the track. If you're not running for money, and/or points it being a 10 or 9 second strip car that sees a scant few miles on the street, not a dedicated strip car what's wrong with that? Some may like to go out and blow the tires off and wring things out on the street. Me, I like hammering it from a roll at whatever the traffic speeds are, which is typically cruising around at 2800-3500 rpm range and (so long as it hooks) feeling the power, the pull is addictive.
I've read here to the effect that if you have a stroker and run a DP then it must be in a dump truck, otherwise run a single plane. LOL. Please. 100% depends on the application. It's all subjective.

Last edited:
I really liked the little I saw of that speedmaster single plane intake but they must be pretty rare too.
I think these would actually be a pretty decent manifold with a little work with a die grinder.
A mob here had them on sale for around $200US a few weeks back - I was pretty temped to buy one just to confirm my suspicions but I have no use for a single plane at the moment.

I have a 410 stroker in my car and I had an air gap intake and it made 390rwhp on the dyno. I changed cam to afew degrees bigger(from 238 @ 50 with 110 l/sep to a 241 @50 with a 112 l/sep) and changed to a Victor 340 manifold . It now made 425 rwhp but lost a bit of torque on the dyno but in real world driving (5 speed manual) I cannot notice any difference. I feel it is noticably quicker especially as when you just put your foot into it in second gear it just goes mad with wheelspin immediately to 6500rpm. Lets face it with a stroker 410 how much torque do you need in a 3000lb car?

But getting this through to someone who hasn't done it is difficult. Like you say, mash it from a roll in second and it incinerates the tires, what more does one want?

Hello, I’m changing up my 408 a bit and need an intake manifold. Probably 6-8 years ago the “go to” was the rpm air gap. This is a street/strip car, it’s a 408 with 10.5-1 compression, auto 3800 stall and a 3.91-4.10 gear. Looking for opinions on the best all around intake manifold before I just jump on another air gap.

Keeping this thread active, I wonder if @flyfish had to make changes on this engine in order for the Victor intake to come out on top?
In his case, at that time the AG was the better intake for his 408. Can’t dispute it can you? Lots of people want the single plane such as the Victor to be the best, come out on top but here we have evidence contrary.
I like how he mentions: Everyone was telling him......
7C7D9DDA-2A9B-4F05-94A7-9205D3257146.png

79E7FC49-1D45-46E7-8A1A-A6A00B8C19F6.png

And we have a knowledgeable poster mention:

81974E34-8AA8-4E5C-9617-8B064B9054D8.png

Last edited:
@12many
@Demonx2 There was a fella here some time back that was at a similar point as yourself. His 408 was in a Starion or some weird car like that though only a little lighter. He went back and forth with the RPM-AG & the M-1 single.

His cam was right around your duration @050. The single mph was better, the ‘60 worse, a hair slower than the RPM, IIRC by tenths.
The best dual purpose all around intake is the RPM.
Depending on the camshaft and the head flow specs, or AKA, a well ported head over a stock or mildly modified head, the single plane intake would be the better choice for the top end and probably not a loss down low ether. There could be a 40+ hp gain.

But again, how well the heads are ported and the cam being used has a ton of say in that.

My thoughts and comparison. I was remembering the 408 in the import mostly. Noting that there seems to be a point in where a single plane is better than a dual plane right around the mid to upper cam durations of 255@050 and bigger seem to be that point. A bunch also depending on build and actual car duties. Street or street strip or race car.
Rpm/Airgap or victor340.
If you street drive or hang at/under 6000rpm, the rpm.
That ^^^^^ pretty much nailed it I think.

I would like to interject this if I may, the Eddie Victor 340 is the best intake for SB Chrysler at this time according to Wilson Manifolds as well as PBR on this site. Now with that said, the Victor 340 requires a lot of work to make it good, so if you plan to just bolt on an intake to your engine as received from the manufacture the Eddie RPM would be better suited for this type of enthusiast.
According to J J at Wilson Manifolds the plenum on the Mopar M1 is to big for Street/Strip use and even for race only the Victor will make more power, but again needs a lot of work. Just wanted to throw this out there.
BTW, I did not speak to Wilson about the RPM Air Gap.

^^^^^
Well that is subjective.
Depends on combo and desired use.
The best for all out racing maybe so with high rpm and total track car with right combo.
Otherwise there are better options.

I would like to interject this if I may, the Eddie Victor 340 is the best intake for SB Chrysler at this time according to Wilson Manifolds as well as PBR on this site. Now with that said, the Victor 340 requires a lot of work to make it good, so if you plan to just bolt on an intake to your engine as received from the manufacture the Eddie RPM would be better suited for this type of enthusiast.
According to J J at Wilson Manifolds the plenum on the Mopar M1 is to big for Street/Strip use and even for race only the Victor will make more power, but again needs a lot of work. Just wanted to throw this out there.

So what was JJ comparing the Eddie Victor 340 to call it the best?....M-1? others?

So I have an old portosonic intake that's had extensive work .
I got it from my neighbor who was a super stock racer .
He said it was a couple tenths faster then the touted ld340.

So I have an old portosonic intake that's had extensive work .
I got it from my neighbor who was a super stock racer .
He said it was a couple tenths faster then the touted ld340.

I can agree on that because the LD340 and other dual planes run out of snuff

I thought I posted pics of it here once ?
I had some w2 heads and intake that had a bunch of work as well.
I remember popsicle sticks with epoxy on the bottom .
I sold that setup to a friend.

Pretty hard to get too much plenum volume with any single 4 IMO.

-
Back