Best LA Valve Covers for Fewer Oil Leaks

-

cudaracer

Reaction score
I recall the stamped steel covers leaked bad, and my aluminum MP covers leaked too. Fewer fasteners in the LA heads/covers means more potential for leaking, but has anyone had any good experience with covers that don't leak as much....perhaps due to more stiffness at the flange face?

Oh, and if anyone suggests getting Magnum heads, I will scream....lol

Thanks

I have NEVER had a problem with leaking MP valve covers. Chrome, cast aluminum or OE.

I have used the following gaskets:

MP's rubber coated steel. 28 years on and off. Yup, still working!

Mr. gasket Ultra Seal.

Secure with even torque. NO! I do not use a torque wrench on the valve covers.
:lol:
And no gasket sealer!

The problem is every body over tightens them, I never had leaking gaskets ether but I do glue them to the cover only, that way when I check valve adjustment the gasket never falls off.

Over tightening is almost certainly my problem, combined with what was probably the cheapest gasket offered at Summit. Whenever they leak, I tighten them more as well. Probably not a good idea, but then again, it is consistent with the plethora of bad decisions I have made thus far.:mad:

Time to wise up.

Thanks

Yea, just get good gaskets and tighten them properly

I snug them pretty good. I also use a 1 piece "t" handle. While my hands are no longer even close to being strong anymore, I give'em a good twisting.

The 2 gaskets I mentioned above are the only ones I have ever used and never had a problem.

I RTV the gasket to the valve cover (OE stamped cover) , as long as the head surface is true you should have no leaks. I've used the cheapest cork, to the most recent set from Superformance ...

I just picked up a set of the Superformance valve cover gaskets. There was a small fitment issue with them and my set up. I put them down for some intake grinding, & then, LMAO! I couldn't find them. On went the MP gaskets.

Skip the gaskets and glue them on with a thick bead of RTV. They won't leak, but you'll have a devil of a time getting them off (hydraulic cams only).

If the gasket surface is distorted from over tightening, you can straighten them with a body hammer and dolly. Use a torque wrench if you have to. Retighten after first drive.

I just picked up a set of the Superformance valve cover gaskets. There was a small fitment issue with them and my set up. I put them down for some intake grinding, & then, LMAO! I couldn't find them. On went the MP gaskets.
I had to trim the corners on mine, but that was using factory valve covers. I imagine with an aftermarket cover it wouldn't matter due to the mounting surface being flat ...

Cal Customs for me. Weather strip adhesive gaskets to covers and fasten with SS Allen head screws & washers. I had to add the baffling and they won't take a lot of cam lift but they are retro cool.

Cast Aluminum valve covers and Grey MP gaskets. A rigid flat cover and a great gasket.

IMHO, your issue is uneven cly head rails that the cover mates to. I know you don't want to go with magnum or other aftermarket heads... so you have to fix what you have.

So go around the cly head with a flat edge. File high spots and you'll have to fill the low spots with whatever your are comfortable with.

Last edited:
If the gasket surface is distorted from over tightening, you can straighten them with a body hammer and dolly. Use a torque wrench if you have to. Retighten after first drive.
Yep, the stamped covers get distorted right around the bolt holes from over-tightening; flattening and straightening the the covers' gasket surface is the first thing you do.

I bought a set of fabricated aluminum valve covers for $70 new. Came with baffles and Allen head bolts. Taller then stock and they haven't leaked a drop. But then again I've never had a sealing issue with any Mopar valve cover.

-
Back