Best looking hood on 74 Sport, opinions.....

-

19blockhead72

Reaction score
The 74 dart isn't the prettiest thing ever but that being said as far as glass hoods go what do you think looks the best? I'm leaning towards the aar six pack hood. I guess the only others would be a cowl induction or hemi scoop. Post your pictures and opinions please. Thanks folks.

I think the 6 pack scoop fits rather well. Mine has the same nose of yours despite the swinger vs sport.
Here's some older pics i have of my 74 back when it was still in street trim.
I don't mind the beak myself.lol
19466728_10105777287127314_5599831476845227373_o.jpg

254967_10100186363009064_6012012_n.jpg
230746_10100158665629834_6869323_n.jpg

I have thought about a swap but would rather put the money elsewhere. If I did a swap I think I would do something like 67 to 69 Dart to be different.

The 74 dart isn't the prettiest thing ever but that being said as far as glass hoods go what do you think looks the best? I'm leaning towards the aar six pack hood. I guess the only others would be a cowl induction or hemi scoop. Post your pictures and opinions please. Thanks folks.

Aw, come on.
So this is entirely personal taste. But yeah, the bigger bumpers and more stodgy looking nose/tail treatments of the later As are an acquired taste and it takes a bit more finesse to get them right.

So I agree with the idea of a AAR Sixpack hood. It's a bit aggressive but it also looks functional.

Can we see more of your vented hood? This is an idea that I was thinking about a while back but it looks like you're not happy with yours.

For my Sport, I'm leaning towards a flat black fiberglass hood with intakes routed somewhere other than the hood. The hood scoop thing is always a good look but I like to de-gloss and go low key with most mods...purely my personal taste.

Project Yankee (from Speedhunters) is worth a look...not everyone's taste, of course but personally, I love this car.
Project Yankee - Archives Speedhunters
Project-Yankee-SEMA-Reveal-03.jpg

Oh for goodness sake.
Will every one just admit to beak envy?
I'm sooooo tried of the complaining.
You will just have to suffer with small thingies.

Beaks rule.

Did they put this scoop on the beak cars from the factory? I thought this was like the 71-72 scoop? not criticizing, Im asking because i don't know.lol

The snorkel started in '72, and I believe it only came from the factory on '72 Demons and '73 Dart Sports but I could be wrong. This is probably the most informative thread on the snorkel scoops if you want to sift through it. Dual Snorkle Scoop Information

Oh for goodness sake.
Will every one just admit to beak envy?
I'm sooooo tried of the complaining.
You will just have to suffer with small thingies.

Beaks rule.

Lol...my "beak" probably saved me $2K as a 16 year old kid vs a "desirable" year. And it gave me free reign to do whatever i wanted to the car w/o breaking any hearts over "but its a vin code blah blah blah" or... It was a "blah blah blah package" lol

Lol...my "beak" probably saved me $2K as a 16 year old kid vs a "desirable" year. And it gave me free reign to do whatever i wanted to the car w/o breaking any hearts over "but its a vin code blah blah blah" or... It was a "blah blah blah package" lol

Yup! I only paid $2k for my '74 Duster. No rust, disk brakes already, the good K frame, you name it. And yeah, no one's heart is broken that I replaced the /6 and auto with a 340 4 speed and swapped it over to a '71 Demon tribute car. Sure, won't ever be worth as much as a real '71 Demon, but I also don't have to worry about daily driving it either. And even after the front clip swap I think I'm still money ahead over buying a real '71 as far as money out of pocket.
Sorry beak owners, this is my vote for best hood on a (former) 'beak car :p . Although I will say they did a good job with that SpeedHunters Dart Sport. I don't know if I agree with everything they did, but that's a good looking beak car IMO :thumbsup:

img_2058-jpg.jpg

The current look which isn't bad I guess, just not sure I should have cut in the hood vents. Did them more for functionality than looks. I was having heat soak issues but I have corrected that and probably didn't need to cut the hood. So now I might as well loose some weight and find a good looking scoop with a glass hood. I have a 71 rear bumper and sunk the front bumper by and inch and a half which really helped. Also add a chin spoiler to break up that big bumper.

20170604_163728.jpg

20170413_160055.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-03-06-52-35-1-1.png

20170204_113927.jpg

Last edited:
Did they put this scoop on the beak cars from the factory? I thought this was like the 71-72 scoop? not criticizing, Im asking because i don't know.lol
Yes, it was factory.
They were available from '72 to '74 on Dodge A-Bodies.
The '72 version was different than the '73 and '74 version because the hood was a different contour on the Demon/Dart than the Dart Sports.
A lot of people will call B.S. on this, but there were some Canadian built (and only available in Canada) '72 340 Swingers that had the same scoop on them from the factory as an option. (Same as the '72 Demon hood).
I'm not sure if the scoop was available in the U.S. marketed Dart Sports for '74, but they were up here for sure. I have personally viewed the cars and fender tags of 4 of them. All of the cars i saw were factory 360 cars, but i'm not sure it wasn't available on others.
I do know that the '73 Dart Sports had the scoop available on them for at least 318 and 340 cars, as i have a 318 car that came with it and had a 340 Dart Sport that also had one.
As a matter of fact, this particular scoop that i have on my car came off a '74 360 Dart Sport and the fender tag was coded for it.
I have not seen a Plymouth with this hood scoop from the factory, which is sad, because it looks good on them especially the '73 and up Dusters.
Yes, i like the ''Beak'' cars and always have, including the '67 to 69 Barracudas.
Actually, the hood off a Dart Sport has the same contours as a '69 Barracuda, so i consider these cars ''Beak'' cars as well!

I won't quote your whole post, but yep, i sold my stock 74 hood to a guy with a 69 cuda.

The current look which isn't bad I guess, just not sure I should have cut in the hood vents. Did them more for functionality than looks. I was having heat soak issues but I have corrected that and probably didn't need to cut the hood. So now I might as well loose some weight and find a good looking scoop with a glass hood. I have a 71 rear bumper and sunk the front bumper by and inch and a half which really helped. Also add a chin spoiler to break up that big bumper...

I'm still digging the look of that vented hood.
Which inserts did you go with? Was the location dictated by the under-hood bracing? In any case, subtle and clean...nicely done.

Yes, it was factory.
They were available from '72 to '74 on Dodge A-Bodies.
The '72 version was different than the '73 and '74 version because the hood was a different contour on the Demon/Dart than the Dart Sports.
A lot of people will call B.S. on this, but there were some Canadian built (and only available in Canada) '72 340 Swingers that had the same scoop on them from the factory as an option. (Same as the '72 Demon hood).
I'm not sure if the scoop was available in the U.S. marketed Dart Sports for '74, but they were up here for sure. I have personally viewed the cars and fender tags of 4 of them. All of the cars i saw were factory 360 cars, but i'm not sure it wasn't available on others.
I do know that the '73 Dart Sports had the scoop available on them for at least 318 and 340 cars, as i have a 318 car that came with it and had a 340 Dart Sport that also had one.
As a matter of fact, this particular scoop that i have on my car came off a '74 360 Dart Sport and the fender tag was coded for it.
I have not seen a Plymouth with this hood scoop from the factory, which is sad, because it looks good on them especially the '73 and up Dusters.
Yes, i like the ''Beak'' cars and always have, including the '67 to 69 Barracudas.
Actually, the hood off a Dart Sport has the same contours as a '69 Barracuda, so i consider these cars ''Beak'' cars as well!

I had an all original #'s, triple black sunroof, folding seat, all power, a.c., 8.25S.G., 73 Dart Sport 340 with factory scoop.

1-jpg.jpg

9-jpg.jpg

I'm still digging the look of that vented hood.
Which inserts did you go with? Was the location dictated by the under-hood bracing? In any case, subtle and clean...nicely done.
The vents are off a 80's Lebaron turbo, really nice pieces. I installed them to draw hot air from behind the radiator and they do it well. Also the hood structure had a part in it too.

The vents are off a 80's Lebaron turbo, really nice pieces. I installed them to draw hot air from behind the radiator and they do it well. Also the hood structure had a part in it too.

Now you point that out, they do look familiar!! Very cool.

Do you have any data showing cooler temps or is it just a hunch? I have no doubt that they work.

Now you point that out, they do look familiar!! Very cool.

Do you have any data showing cooler temps or is it just a hunch? I have no doubt that they work.
They definitely make a difference. When it was at peak temps this summer I would watch the cars temp creep up while sitting in traffic. After installing the vents it topped out at 185 and stayed there. Also when in motion my electric fan barely runs but before the vents it ran all the time.

-
Back