best songs ever made?

-
I mentioned Rush on page 5..Only 1 song I know there is more. Jim

My bad.... but still: page FIVE?!?

Then again, Madonna is already in the "Rock & Roll" hall of fame, and Rush hasn't even been nominated. THAT'S the reason I shy away from "Classic Rock". It's just the same old crap that was force-fed to you as a kid. You just didn't realize it was all marketing and, mostly, no substance. How else can you explain today's popular music that has no musicians on the recording? And please don't try the argument that it's music because somebody cut & spliced sounds into a musical arrangement. They did that with barking dogs YEARS ago for a Christmas song! Today's "pop" is no better. Open wide... here's some more crap for us to sell you. And it's human nature: we see a line, and we go stand in it. Music is not what it's about. It's a numbers game, like everything else in life. And it sucks for us.... You have to really look for it, but good music is out there. Just gotta open your eyes, mind, and yes.... ears.

I enjoy music too much to sum it up with a 10 song list. And to pick a favorite? I better quiet down or this rant is gonna earn the shovel and end up in the Politics forums...

Some of favorites:

Kansas "Dust In The Wind"

Foreigner "I Want To Know What Love Is"

ASIA "Days Like These"

Alan Parsons Project "Sooner Or Later"

Music is art and is so subjective that it`s impossible to say what is the best song ever written. All one can say is in their opinion what is the best. What, nobody`s mentioned Beethoven`s 5th Symphony, Rossinin`s William Tell Overture, or Ravel`s Bolero? Hmmm.........

"Tool"? "classic"? LMAO

Ummm... this thread started as your favorite song, NOT what people perceive as a "classic". But then again, the song IS more then 10 yrs. old, MUCH older than some stuff posted, and yes, it will stand the test of time.

Second: David Gilmore is a genius.... his work on Paul Rogers' album Muddy Water Blues (HIGHLY recommended for anyone whom appreciates musicianship) is nothing short of brillant. But please, there's more out there than the same old over-played tunes.

Some music IS timeless, but I can't turn off the radio fast enough when Stairway to Heaven comes on...even though it's a runner-up for one of the best guitar solos ever recorded too.

I've been playing in bands since I was a teenager (and still do....) and I know what music is and isn't.

And if anyone is interested, I can explain WHY todays "pop" music sucks..... and yes, there is a reason. Not an opinion.

Music is art and is so subjective that it`s impossible to say what is the best song ever written. All one can say is in their opinion what is the best. What, nobody`s mentioned Beethoven`s 5th Symphony, Rossinin`s William Tell Overture, or Ravel`s Bolero? Hmmm.........

What, Hanson didn't do it for you? 8)

Go play some Pink Floyd.... you'll feel much better
:toothy10:

Oh boy..... I've been avoiding this thread like the the plague. Seven pages before anything RUSH is mentioned, but yet the same old Zeppelin & Skynard songs are repeated. Tsk-Tsk.... I'm, surprised at you guys.

Picking a favorite song is like picking the favorite hair on your head. While I'm not particularly interested in "classic" rock (heard it, know it, what else ya got...) I do enjoy talent in my music. Hotel California: overplayed (like all classic rock...) but that song has probably THE best written, phrased, and recorded guitar solo ever. The Steve Vai mention caught me by suprise, as did the Les Claypool references. But really.... In-A-Gadda-Divita? Even in my drug-fueled youth that song sucked. Doesn't sound any better sober.

My opinion on a favorite song... does it matter? Someone will hate it too!

But here's one anyway. No fancy video..... just an explanation of who we are, and who we can become.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

I gotta agree - that is one AWESOME song. Tool are true musicians.

As far as my favorite song - if I had to name it down to just one - Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb is it for me. Especially the live versions. David Gilmour's solo's hit me deep in my soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnapx502uQ

I guess I must be old enough to be AdamR's father too - The Wall was the first album I ever bought as a kid when it first came out...

OK The best song ever written would have to be a song that anyone can sing. Paul Macartneys Yesterday is the most covered song ever written.
Even Leonard Macoy ( Mr. Spoc ) sang it so logic confirms this to be the best song ever written. LOL

1. Good Vibrations- the beach boys, 2. Once In a Lifetime- Talking Heads, 3. Pink Floyd Mother

-
Back