Best way to pack rear axle bearings?

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
I've got an 8 3/4 rear and I need to repack the axle bearings. What's the best method to make sure they are greased well?

I assume you're talking about the factory style tapered bearings and not the "green style" sealed units... I use a "grease needle" on my grease gun and poke it into the end of the cage and pump the cavity full between each roller. Then spin the bearing a couple of times and repeat. After it's in and running, like Locomotion said; they're lubed by the gear oil. I just like to grease them on assembly because my stuff tends to sit around a while before it gets used... :)
Edit: Oops, yeah there are seals in the 8 3/4. pack 'em and pack grease behind the seal lips.

Last edited:
I'll add be sure you have all the seals in place including the foam one for the backing plate. If the rear lube get on the brake shoe it will cause it to crack and come apart.

Yes, OEM tapered bearings are what I have. I thought the inner axle seal keeps diff fluid out of the bearing and they are only lubricated by wheel bearing grease?

I assume you're talking about the factory style tapered bearings and not the "green style" sealed units... I use a "grease needle" on my grease gun and poke it into the end of the cage and pump the cavity full between each roller. Then spin the bearing a couple of times and repeat. After it's in and running, like Locomotion said; they're lubed by the gear oil. I just like to grease them on assembly because my stuff tends to sit around a while before it gets used... :)
Plus the FSM DOES instruct you to grease the bearings... so you're wise to do it!

Bearings are sealed against the diff fluid with an oil seal. Grease with normal packing procedures (grease palm of hand and scrape it in there like your frosting a cake).
16794d1501541797-axle-schematics-dsc04463.jpg

Yes, OEM tapered bearings are what I have. I thought the inner axle seal keeps diff fluid out of the bearing and they are only lubricated by wheel bearing grease?
Yes the inner seal should keep the differential gear oil from getting to the bearings, if you have the axles out you can also use the needle to grease the bearings

Bearings are sealed against the diff fluid with an oil seal. Grease with normal packing procedures (grease palm of hand and scrape it in there like your frosting a cake).
View attachment 1715486422
Yeah, I misspoke in my first post- senior moment having just done a friend's "Brand X" rear... No excuses. Regardless, pack 'em. I like to use the needle if the bearings are already pressed on- the "palmful of grease" is tough to do on a mounted bearing. Or maybe I'm just lame... :)

You don't pack them. The OEM type axle bearings are oiled from the rear end fluid. Make sure you fill the rear end to the proper level with quality gear oil. Then there are the sealed type bearings that have the lube self contained.
Nope! They get greased.

That’s correct. Kim
If they were dry or new , we just worked/poured a little rear end grease in them ,they are lubed by the diff grease , thats why their are seals outside them ----------

If they were dry or new , we just worked/poured a little rear end grease in them ,they are lubed by the diff grease , thats why their are seals outside them ----------
How does the axle lube get past the inner seal?

axle seal.jpg

sorfry, but the h
Wrong. They are not lubed by the diff grease.
Sorry , but the Hemi I ran for 14 years was .
With stock bearings , Just leave the seals out and see how fast lube will get on ur brake shoes.

-
Back