BEWARE. 67 Barracuda

-

old dog

Reaction score
Am looking for a Cuda to work on as next project and found one for sale(not on this site) emailed the typical questions to owner and got a reply that if I wanted to know anything to call him. He assured me over the phone that there was no rust thru except for a 2" long spot at top of rear left fender. Other rust visible in pics was surface only, underside was solid no rust, or so I was told. Just got back from 775mile goose chase to Savannah Ga. to find every panel on it with bondo or rust thru and repainted to look ok in pics. The biggest surprise was underneath. Driver side rear floor pan completely missing to the point that an old license plate was laid across it still leaving a couple of inches on each side and that is all that held up the carpet. Frame rails rusted, just a mess The verbal description was way off and to think that I was very close to sending him money based on his word to have it shipped to me. BEWARE. 67 Cuda in Savannah supposed factory grey color.

sounds like when I went to look at my 64 Dart. Any major frame rust? He says no. 2 hour drive and the rear spring mounts were swiss cheese. Pull off chucks with your fingers gone. I mean, he came down to 500 so I bough it anyway but why do people so blatantly lie. He knew about it too he had safe t caps bookmarked.

Well, if that's it, he's got picture's, however know undercarriage. I don't see 9.5K though, but the owner say's it's a Beauty!

one man's diamond is another man's turd! yes I would be highly pissed too!

remember Savannah is on the coast. Ga has high rainfall and humidity, and down there to some, a license plate is acceptable floor material!!!! I know, Ga was my home state for 30 years...

Go west young man!!. If you are serious about a project check the western states Craigs List. I'm a CL junkie and you just might find what you are looking for. Just a thought..

The body doesnt look too bad from the pix, however frame rot is a ***** to fix. $9,500 is too high even for a connie IMHO. Now for a good auto sheetmetal guy no problem. Trunklids the same as a notchie. Undercarriage same as a coupe. Framerails same as a dart, 108" wheelbase, same as a duster. Floor pans are available. lots of pieces available. I have seen worse fixed, higher end versions though. Fixible? Yes. Not for the faint of heart if rot is bad .

They're 50 years old. Rust under carpet should not be a surprise even at 20 years old. Same applies to lower rear quarters. Nature of the beast.
Frame rails rusted away is more often those without OEM undercoating. And yes those are the ones that we should walk away from unless they are/were special builds like bb 'S' etc...
The bible states they jostle one against another in the broadways ( Nahum 2;4 ). I see very few front fenders that haven't been punched in the nose. This, like the typically beat up trunk trim, is simply the lack of protection from their bumpers. Again nature of the beast.
Most of the time I cant imagine one being disappointed in what they'll find here. For every little thing they see is needed, they'll see other things that more than compensate.
Other times I realize that some have higher expectations.
I hope you find the one you're looking for.

They're 50 years old. Rust under carpet should not be a surprise even at 20 years old. Same applies to lower rear quarters. Nature of the beast.
Frame rails rusted away is more often those without OEM undercoating. And yes those are the ones that we should walk away from unless they are/were special builds like bb 'S' etc...
The bible states they jostle one against another in the broadways ( Nahum 2;4 ). I see very few front fenders that haven't been punched in the nose. This, like the typically beat up trunk trim, is simply the lack of protection from their bumpers. Again nature of the beast.
Most of the time I cant imagine one being disappointed in what they'll find here. For every little thing they see is needed, they'll see other things that more than compensate.

If someone states its virtually rust free, then it better be damned near rust free. If this is the car, they flat out lied. I don't give a crap how old it is.

This

If someone states its virtually rust free, then it better be damned near rust free. If this is the car, they flat out lied. I don't give a crap how old it is.

X2!! Look, the guy mis-represented the condition flat-out, and if he knew you were going
to make a 7.5 mile trip, maybe he could justify the fishing hook cast. But knowing that the
potential buyer was coming that far? That's just a sh*thead move IMO, for a car thats not
worth more than $1950 in reality. Saying it's not uncommon doesn't mean one should ex-
pect to pay condition #3 prices for a condition #5 car, or to see one when they've just
logged a 775(or1500mi.?) round trip. :wack:

That's the beauty. The pics do not tell the whole story. Yes I would expect defects at fifty, God knows I have enough of my own that is why I asked the questions. For instance, he says in the description "one owner". He told me he has had it for 1 1/2 years. Then when we get there he tells us he has had it for less than a year and he got it from the son of the original owner. I asked about rust thru and was told the spot on the right rear fender was the only rust on the car other than light surface at the trunk. He told me the front fender was not damaged just "funny shadows" from the angle of pics. Did I expect to much from this car, I do not think so, what I did expect was the truth and that the biggest defect in this whole thing. Yes parts and pans can be bought to fix most anything but that is not what I am after and what I tried to avoid by making calls to him. Thanks for your comments. I only share this so others don,t make the same mistake

That there's the problem sir, in the "virtual" world, it can be rust free, just not in the real world!!!

Lying is lying. Superbirds are 45 years old too, but dont tell me its solid if its is not and you know I am driving all day. That is flat out deceitful all day long.

The things that drive you crazy!! What to people think the outcome is going to be when they lie like this? Hoping for a naive and ignorant buyer or what?

I looked at 68 FB back in the late nineties, (but only drove an hour) and the guy told me on the phone that "the floors are so clean you could eat off them." I got there and weeds were growing up through rust holes in the floor.

Hope you find the car that's right for you.

I know what you mean. I went to look at a 64 impala a few years ago. about a hour north of me. The seller says its rust free.. Not a bubble or so, but rust free. Just needs paint. He was asking 13,000. I get there and immediately before I even get out my truck see cracked bondo on the rear quarter. I was already pissed. But since I was already there I looked it over. It had rusty frame rails a blind person could see. Rust bubbles through out. Very bad paint. Dry rotted tires etc.. Most things I asked and he said ws all good. I opened the hood and it looked like a tornado went through the engine bay. Wires hanging all over.. However he fixed up the interior a bit. Then he ask's me if I like it. I just turned around and got back in my truck and angrily drove home.. Those people really piss me off!

-
Back