Beware of PG Classics

-

1969dodgedart

Big Block 440
Reaction score
Just a heads up to the A body mopar grp. Had a bad experience with PG classics over a defective steering wheel and want to make everyone aware . Bought a new steering wheel from PG last spring and just put power to the car, the horn stays on . Did some continuity tests and found the horn contact ring was making contact with the signal return ring because of what looks like 50 yr old rust . Called/ emailed PG Classics and they want me to pay to ship back . Brutal , now working on a plan B to save the wheel and make it work at my cost. Terrible quality .
20210812_125637.jpg

Were these the steering wheels that they were selling at a discount? ($275. - 325.00) I almost bit, but after reading about some of their fitment issues with other stuff I decided nah. I see now they're even more ridiculously priced.

The rust actually compromised the rubber barrier gasket on the horn contact ring . Plan B is to do just that wire wheel with die grinder and I have ordered a new horn contact ring kit from Classic Industries to re/ re. Not sure if it was discounted one or not.

I've bought things from PG Classics in the past. I was grateful they even offered the parts for my old Mopar.

Part quality issues aside, I've had to pay for return shipping on defective products. There have been some exceptions, but fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

Good luck on getting what you have to work with a few mods.

I've bought things from PG Classics in the past. I was grateful they even offered the parts for my old Mopar.

Part quality issues aside, I've had to pay for return shipping on defective products. There have been some exceptions, but fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

Good luck on getting what you have to work with a few mods.

Same here. I have several things by them, only had one issue. On one of my tail light bezels the chrome was bare, you could see the copper, I returned it and they sent a new one.

I think that's the way it goes with "restoration" parts. If you think we have it bad look at the Mustang and Camero guys, lots of options, but there are far more crappy replacements parts then good ones for those.

I have learned to inspect the things you order as soon as you get it even if your not installing it right away. I had some bucket seat hinge covers come with two lefts, trim be wrong, bumpers have flaking chrome, a "restored" aluminum grill be broken in 27 places and be bent (no it wasn't shipping damage), get Small block Roller Rockers on Big Block shafts (direct from Comp Cams), and probably more.

Last edited:
Improperly shipped in a shipping container from china. Doesnt take rust long to take hold out in the ocean air.
I have found that most repop parts are garbage.

The rust actually compromised the rubber barrier gasket on the horn contact ring . Plan B is to do just that wire wheel with die grinder and I have ordered a new horn contact ring kit from Classic Industries to re/ re. Not sure if it was discounted one or not.
if you want to get into it hit it with evaporust let it sit over night then wire wheel it.

yeah, missing that little bag of silica..."Do not eat". I read a story about a guy who got some parts produced in China, when he got them they came in 1 big box. All the parts were just dumped in there with no protection or even individual wrap. He said in their defense, he never asked for wrapping or boxing or even moisture control (silica or dried rice). His next batch was ordered wrapped and boxed individually with silica and they came that way. Sounds like an order error ftom China. Fix it and move on.

yeah, missing that little bag of silica..."Do not eat". I read a story about a guy who got some parts produced in China, when he got them they came in 1 big box. All the parts were just dumped in there with no protection or even individual wrap. He said in their defense, he never asked for wrapping or boxing or even moisture control (silica or dried rice). His next batch was ordered wrapped and boxed individually with silica and they came that way. Sounds like an order error ftom China. Fix it and move on.
:rofl:

Everything I've bought from PG Classics has been packed pretty much bomb proof. The door panels were in a box with a layer of thin plywood with the panels wrapped in paper, with foam between them. Not a mark and I was really impressed with the care they took. I'm going to reuse the packaging when I sell my used ones.

I bought three piece dash bezel pieces from them for my 69 Dart. Probably like15 years ago. First set was horrible. They didn’t want to do anything. Told them I was sending them back and if they feel the quality was up to their standards , I would just write it all off as a lose! They sent me another set set that was much much better.

Do you think that the same steering wheels from Year One or Classic Industries comes from a different source??? Somehow I kinda doubt it...

Ironically the deluxe wheel for my 70 dart was delivered from PG yesterday. I'll put it in and see if it works before prying off that damned tension ring to see if it's rusted up underneath... at least if the horn is always on, I'll know where to look!

I recently got an E body rim blow from classic and it was in beautiful condition. Used a discount code and saved $180!
Yeah it would be a safe bet that most of the parts sold by other vendors all come from the same place.

i have never had a problem with them and been impressed with their parts
Maybe i've been lucky....many venders now sell their parts.

-
Back