Bf Goodrich brown walls

-
Reaction score
I bought Bf Goodrich Radial TA's to go on the Keystone Klassics on my 68 Barracuda (yeah no school like the old school) anyway no matter what I try I can't keep the letters white. I can GET them white with lacquer thinner but it seems to draw the oil out of the tires and within a couple days they are brown again. Any ideas?

Look up BFG or Radial TA on the search function. There are many threads about it. Nothing you can do but buy new and hope they don't do what the old ones did.

There is a white wall cleaner that is some type of acid that works wonders.

I'll try to find it and post.

What happened to those big chalk markers for tires? I recall them from the 70s and 80s but they seem to have disappeared. They looked like a giant crayon

Prep-sol the dewaxing agent for body work will work. Sadly once that white goes brown it never goes back. Like others suggest- white tire paint. Best solution.

i've had good luck with these: Amazon product ASIN B08H8PKF5W
ETA: can't get the link to work. search amazon: concept inks tire marker pen 3 pack
When that happens, go up to the three vertical dots in the top of the window when you're making the post and click them. Then, click in the little chain icon and follow the deestruckshuns.

I've got a pair of BF Goodrich brown letter tires on the front of my car. The rear tires are BF Goodrich white letter tires. I bought them at the same time. I have been using an oil based Magic Marker to make mine appear somewhat similar.

I think, hes talking about Bletche White (spelling? French for bleach).
They changed their formula years ago. It might work for dingy letters but not for the BFG issues. There is absolutely nothing that will brighten them up and keep them white.

What happened to those big chalk markers for tires? I recall them from the 70s and 80s but they seem to have disappeared. They looked like a giant crayon
Harbor Freight has something similar, in yellow and white. I don't know if they would work on tires.kinda like a hard paint stick. (I have some of the yellow ones, haven't tried them on tires of course.)

They changed their formula years ago. It might work for dingy letters but not for the BFG issues. There is absolutely nothing that will brighten them up and keep them white.
I used a lot of that on the wide whites on my Imperial. It doesn't work as well as it used to, I thought it was just the tires getting old (that too! Lol)

Harbor Freight has something similar, in yellow and white. I don't know if they would work on tires.kinda like a hard paint stick. (I have some of the yellow ones, haven't tried them on tires of course.)
i have the yellow ones, they're good for marking punctures and that's about it.

or, marking on the floor if you're mocking something up.

035E34C4-F59F-4A45-A70D-741385B061E2.jpeg

I think this is the stuff lots of warnings.

"Stains concrete" and it does!

PXL_20230310_020120262.jpg

I bought Bf Goodrich Radial TA's to go on the Keystone Klassics on my 68 Barracuda (yeah no school like the old school) anyway no matter what I try I can't keep the letters white. I can GET them white with lacquer thinner but it seems to draw the oil out of the tires and within a couple days they are brown again. Any ideas?
I agree with the old school look.
I’ve read a lot about the problems also and decided to go this route. White letters on the inside.

1392AC63-F03C-4D06-BE73-D310BE4E51D4.png

I have one with and one without. If I would switch it would look stupid I think.

1492195-236824768adaa04e8dd4ce41bf2c70d2.jpg

1490938-b4f95b97a62c0b056444f908e6fac4fe.jpg

I remember my grandpa telling me about the raised white letters going brown/yellow on BFG’s a while ago.

Wasn't there a thread on here where someone familiar with chemistry found that acetone made them white again?

Wasn't there a thread on here where someone familiar with chemistry found that acetone made them white again?
You can try it. It works but the brown will come back.

They used to warrantee them a few years ago.
The ones one my Duster are brown.

-
Back