Big Block Conversion, do it again?

-
Apples and oranges maybe, but I did it to my 71 B'cuda back in the 80's... Can't wait to get my 68 B'cuda ragtop project going - she'll be a mild 383 when she hits the street. Over all, I think a big block is easier to work on.

Apples and oranges maybe, but I did it to my 71 B'cuda back in the 80's... Can't wait to get my 68 B'cuda ragtop project going - she'll be a mild 383 when she hits the street. Over all, I think a big block is easier to work on.

i think our a-body's have about the most user friendly engine bay of the era. about as wide open as they come.

Handling is easy. Cast iron manifolds make the best driver exhaust (in my opinion). Also, I have had power brakes in one A-body. It all came out. PB are completely unnecessary in an A-body.

The '68 Barracuda that I want to put the BB in, had a 318 from the factory and had the floor shift automatic. I would like to keep the floor shift auto. Am I going to run into any problems when using the BB trans?

The '68 Barracuda that I want to put the BB in, had a 318 from the factory and had the floor shift automatic. I would like to keep the floor shift auto. Am I going to run into any problems when using the BB trans?

Absolutely not, it is a bolt in. Just be sure that the big block trans has the two ears on the bottom of the tailshaft for the lower linkage pivot to mount to, not all tailshafts have them.

I am going to start mine when it gets warmer, engines done, Schumacher install kit and headers, car is prepped for it sub frame, 103 torsion bar, 3.55's etc. I think I have all the parts except the driveshaft. Hope it goes smooth.

Love big block A bodies. I would never spend the money on a stroker. I'd just put in a big block.

I walk away from big blocks every day with my stroker. Lighter and more torque, and then I have overdrive. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar a stroker will take most big blocks. That said, I'm building a 440 for my Ramcharger.

I walk away from big blocks every day with my stroker. Lighter and more torque, and then I have overdrive. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar a stroker will take most big blocks. That said, I'm building a 440 for my Ramcharger.
I plan the best of both... stroker big block (451) with a single turbo

If there is a square inch of the engine bay that is not covered with motor then space is being wasted.:D

Mop

This is by far the quote of the year!

I really enjoy the 408 small block in my Dart. it runs great, but I just can't wait to let the clutch out on my 499" Demon.

Ted

simple, I don't know how to install a small block into an Abody.
never drove a small block car, probably never will.

Yes, I would do another one. I love the big blocks in an A-Body.

Attachments

• IMG_6373.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 355
  • r6.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 374
Absolutely not, it is a bolt in. Just be sure that the big block trans has the two ears on the bottom of the tailshaft for the lower linkage pivot to mount to, not all tailshafts have them.

Does anyone have a picture of where the bolt holes are? It doesn't look like mine has any provisions for it. So if someone has a pic that will help me verify.

Some of you have mentioned about headers. That Schumacher headers aren't the best for flow. They should be better than Stock exhaust manifolds, but not as good as fender well headers, correct?

Also about weight, Small block 318LA- 525lbs., 383B- 620lbs. Difference of 95lbs. Since a small block has a aluminum water pump from the factory, the only places to shed weight on a small block are the heads and the intake manifold. On a Big Block, heads, intake, water pump and housing can be switched to aluminum.

Anyone have an aluminum pump and housing on the shelf that they could weight. I have a cast iron pump and housing and that weights 18.4lbs. Mancini Racing an aluminum housing will shed 8-10lbs. So with all that aluminum it should be about the same as a Stock Small Block. And with manual steering, manual brakes with the aluminum master, headers, and battery relocate to the back it should be lighter over the front end than your typical Small Block powered A-body.

Lighter yes but not by much especially after you start adding aluminum parts..... You can put an overdrive on a big block...dollar for dollar, it seems like big blocks have better support in the after market, parts seem on par or cheaper..... More torque, 440 and strokers are larger and there for will make more torque than a 408 a rebuilt 400 is same size and a rebuilt 383 comes to 389-396 not much smaller and a lot cheaper....smoking big blocks,
I don't know your combo but if you got a well setup 500 plus hp 408, there ain't that many 500 hp cars running around big block or not, I could build a 700 hp 273 and say other engine are lesser than 273's cause they can't touch it. But don't make 273 better in general.... Anything you can do to 340/360 you can do to 400/440 and gonna make more power dollar for dollar.... I can see the appeal of the 408, and may build one, one day for my 65 Cuda since big blocks don't fit to well in early A bodies, but to me if a 340/360 don't fit your needs, time to go big block.

Does anyone have a picture of where the bolt holes are? It doesn't look like mine has any provisions for it. So if someone has a pic that will help me verify.

Some of you have mentioned about headers. That Schumacher headers aren't the best for flow. They should be better than Stock exhaust manifolds, but not as good as fender well headers, correct?

Also about weight, Small block 318LA- 525lbs., 383B- 620lbs. Difference of 95lbs. Since a small block has a aluminum water pump from the factory, the only places to shed weight on a small block are the heads and the intake manifold. On a Big Block, heads, intake, water pump and housing can be switched to aluminum.

Anyone have an aluminum pump and housing on the shelf that they could weight. I have a cast iron pump and housing and that weights 18.4lbs. Mancini Racing an aluminum housing will shed 8-10lbs. So with all that aluminum it should be about the same as a Stock Small Block. And with manual steering, manual brakes with the aluminum master, headers, and battery relocate to the back it should be lighter over the front end than your typical Small Block powered A-body.

The mounting ears for the linkage can be seen in this pic, they hang down a the forward end of the tailshaft housing. BTW, the housing can be changed fairly easily and is the same on bb and sb727's, 66 (I think) and up.

Attachments

• 727.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 370
Lighter yes but not by much especially after you start adding aluminum parts..... You can put an overdrive on a big block...dollar for dollar, it seems like big blocks have better support in the after market, parts seem on par or cheaper..... More torque, 440 and strokers are larger and there for will make more torque than a 408 a rebuilt 400 is same size and a rebuilt 383 comes to 389-396 not much smaller and a lot cheaper....smoking big blocks,
I don't know your combo but if you got a well setup 500 plus hp 408, there ain't that many 500 hp cars running around big block or not, I could build a 700 hp 273 and say other engine are lesser than 273's cause they can't touch it. But don't make 273 better in general.... Anything you can do to 340/360 you can do to 400/440 and gonna make more power dollar for dollar.... I can see the appeal of the 408, and may build one, one day for my 65 Cuda since big blocks don't fit to well in early A bodies, but to me if a 340/360 don't fit your needs, time to go big block.

Maybe more usable torque would be better put. The torque range in my car compared to some of the big blocks is way different. My brother's 440 had more kick in mid range than I did. I'm 500hp and have run against comparable big blocks and won. As you say, there are not a lot of 500hp street cars, but I am building a 440 now, and it is more expensive in almost every way than my 408. Still, the big block sound and big block mystique is a wonderful thing. That is why my Ramcharger is getting a 440. Gonna have some fun with this truck.

You ain't walking away from my big block Dart, buddy! 😉

Best approach is to have one to start with !! :blob:

Now that mine is done I would definitely do it again. If you asked me while I was doing it I'd say never! It totally transforms your car. And I honestly didn't notice much of a handling difference, but I did change torsion bars. But it was a huge job! If I did it again it would be a lot easier for sure.

67 Dart convertible, 440 pretty much stock build motor. 5 speed tremec,overdrive 5th. 355 gears. Love it. Carlisle this year.

-
Back