Big Block Conversion, do it again?

-
Y'all gotta stop this BB talk, I'll have to buy another car and an engine. :banghead:

Lmao, I just told my wife, and she said "knock it off", one project at a time.

I plan the best of both... stroker big block (451) with a single turbo

Ya-umm-meeeeee!

This is by far the quote of the year!

I really enjoy the 408 small block in my Dart. it runs great, but I just can't wait to let the clutch out on my 499" Demon.

Ted

Looking toward that day with ya Ted!

I can't imagine a built 440 in an A body, I've owned many a BB car in the past but they were B and C bodies, and they would run pretty good.

Try me. I love to race and do it a lot. Sadly, the closest race I ever had was a newer Mustang GT. Don't know what he did to his car, but my beak gave me the win ... barely.

I have a little wimpy big block dart that's always up for a race.lol I have my big block dart that soon will be getting the engine put in my 73 duster that i am building. to answer the op question i would i do it again? why heck yea i would. after owning small block A-bodys and now my big block dart. I don't think the 440 in my dart is any harder to work on than the small block 360 i had in my 1973 dart sport back in the day. I don't know how much harder it would be between a small block compared to my big block, but some day i would like to turbo my duster and have a 9 second or faster street car.

Try me. I love to race and do it a lot. Sadly, the closest race I ever had was a newer Mustang GT. Don't know what he did to his car, but my beak gave me the win ... barely.

Well, I guess if you are solidly in the 9's at 5000' above sea level, you would have a chance to walk away from me! Sound good?

Maybe more usable torque would be better put. The torque range in my car compared to some of the big blocks is way different. My brother's 440 had more kick in mid range than I did. I'm 500hp and have run against comparable big blocks and won. As you say, there are not a lot of 500hp street cars, but I am building a 440 now, and it is more expensive in almost every way than my 408. Still, the big block sound and big block mystique is a wonderful thing. That is why my Ramcharger is getting a 440. Gonna have some fun with this truck.

this on the street or at the track? whats your car run at the track? just curious.

big block just looks right in there doesn't it.. :)

Demonmotor.jpg

img050.jpg

I was honestly set on a 360 in my demon for exhaust purposes (easier to fit it) but my
Dad convinced me to go big block - plus I found a complete engine (2bbl core) for $175..

Have both size A727's and a B body 8 3/4 so it was up to just finding a cheaper magnum 360 or 383BB - found the BB after a 5 minute search and went the same day to pick it up..

im on my 3rd. I planned on doing a 5.7 hemi build, even bought a brand new 5.7. I just cant bring myself to do it. I like everything about the BB a body. my duster cruiser just has a re ringed 400 small cam performer intake and headers, with a viper t56. its not fast but it is a fun reliable car. has power steering, my wife can drive it. ive driven it up and down the east coast. handles like its on rails, stops good, and gets decent mpg.
sb can be fun, but they really aren't any easier. I guess they are cheaper if the car already has the whole drivetrain you can use to build. if you are swapping them out it doesn't really matter.
as for the 3g hemi, im at a point where I don't need to spend 3 times the investment to have the same fun.

Good luck changing the sparkplugs... #-o

Why? with the tti full length headers the only plug that is hard to get to is number 6. i just drilled a 1.5 to 2 inch hole in the right inner fender and number six is a breeze now. i use a 5/8 spark plug socket that has the enf that you can put a 3/4 wrench on.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 363
  • 004.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 358
Starting soon - 400 low deck w/440 Source 470 kit, Stealth alum heads massaged lightly on our dyno guy's
Superflow bench, 570 lift hydraulic roller w/beehive ovate valve springs and roller rockers, Performer RPM
intake and an 800 cfm range carb. 727 w/2800 stall speed converter. Easily as light or lighter as a small
block and a lot more room to work around than a tall deck RB.

Good luck changing the sparkplugs... #-o

??? your screen name is bigblockmopar.. ya ever work on one? they were easy to do... some with a wrench and some could be done with a socket.

i think it was #6 plug that i just did with a ratchet through the fender well. like i said they were easy to do.

I can't imagine a built 440 in an A body, I've owned many a BB car in the past but they were B and C bodies, and they would run pretty good.

Look up my thread "The phoenix" in members restorations if u happen to see it at Carlisle or Columbus stop on by ill gladly show you what a built bb can do in a abody

If you ever make it to my neck of the woods i would let you take a spin in my big block duster.

For those of you that have done a BB conversion, would you do it again?

Yes; I'm on my second now. This one is a little more difficult with an early A, but it will definitely be worth the effort it when it's done.

??? your screen name is bigblockmopar.. ya ever work on one? they were easy to do... some with a wrench and some could be done with a socket.

i think it was #6 plug that i just did with a ratchet through the fender well. like i said they were easy to do.

You ever checked my homepage?
I've owned a 440 Dart. Getting to the plugs esp. the rear ones, with the 2-1/8" primary Hooker fenderwells was pure crap. Same as getting to some of the headerbolts. Even had the engine mounted higher than normal to get some clearance. I don't get warm and fuzzy thinking back about that claustrofobic enginebay.

I will never put a RB in a Dart again.

I've owned a 440 Dart. Getting to the plugs esp. the rear ones, with the 2-1/8" primary Hooker fenderwells was pure crap. Same as getting to some of the headerbolts. Even had the engine mounted higher than normal to get some clearance. I don't get warm and fuzzy thinking back about that claustrofobic enginebay.

Meh. My 496 is a raised deck, in my '67 Dart. 2 1/8" Pro Parts headers and D1SC procharger in the engine bay. The plugs aren't that bad to get to. Especially compared to some late model hot rods I've built and owned. Using ARP header bolts with a 5/16" hex head makes getting at those a lot easier as well.

pro parts were great.. easier to work on then a small block.

pro parts were great.. easier to work on then a small block.

# 5 is the hardest one to get at on my 68 b`cuda, w/ the raised port heads-it`s right beside the steering column. hole for # 6 takes care of that one. nothing I can do about # 5 but fight it.

-
Back