Big Block Gear Drive On A Slant?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put a big block camshaft gear drive on a slant? If you've done it with no pictures, don't worry about it. But If you have and you have pictures, I would like to see it.

I am GOING to to it. And I WILL post pictures, although it may be awhile. It takes the gear drive for the 3 bolt big block camshaft. That much I know. If no one's done it or has pictures, I will have them eventually. Please post pictures if you have done it.

Thanks.

Is the distance between the cam and crank the same ?

Is the distance between the cam and crank the same ?

No. The big block camshaft gear will require a spacer to bring it out. Not difficult to overcome. The crankshaft gear and chain are the same.

If you do it then I will too.

I like it and I have a slant that is built to be bad *** enough to justify it

i always thought the bb timing set an /6 were the same, oil pumps an oil filters to...read it some wheres i thunk!!

i always thought the bb timing set an /6 were the same, oil pumps an oil filters to...read it some wheres i thunk!!

The crank gear and the chain is the same. The camshaft gear is a little different.

RRR, if you think the double roller timing chain needs improvement, why not see if you can do a belt drive?
PS: Do a web search for pics of a gear drive slant. It has been done and there are pics somewhere.

i'm sure I had a gear drive slant out of a 66 Fargo it may have been a 198 or am I dreaming ?I bet I still have the parts .

bb timing set an /6 were the same, oil pumps an oil filters to
Oil pumps between BB and slant are completely different, although they are both externally mounted.
I picked up a BB gear drive with the same intentions, to see if I could mount it on the slant. I never found the time to try it but it certainly looks doable. You will likely need a cam stop to keep the cam from moving forward without the chain to keep it in place.
Keep us posted.

I got this tidbit from a post by "Team Green" over on the .org site.

" The crankshaft to camshaft centerline is the same with the big block MoPar and the slant six. You have to machine the front of the crank to get the crank gear back so it will line up with the cam gear. We ran a gear drive on the Lancer and also had to take a little off the block for the bar that holds the center gears on the gear drive."

jus sayin...........

:popcorn:totally ridiculous.... I can hardly wait to see you waste your time...lol...
Screenshot_20190306-214711.png

That's not the point. We all do things some else thinks is rediculus. Hell, I race a slant six. It also has a fogger system on it.
I totally get the point of mostly doing it because you can do it. I've done that many times. but also you got to look at all of triple R's comments on my post and you'll know why I give him some s***...
He'ed think I didn't like him if I didn't...

That's not the point. We all do things some else thinks is rediculus. Hell, I race a slant six. It also has a fogger system on it.
Also as someone just said taking the crank out and having it machined! I got to see what the budget is on this one especially for its intended purpose not like someone's going to class race this or something...

EXTRA WEIGHT, MORE NOISE, MORE HAMONICS CARRIED INTO THE VALVE TRAIN .

Not only does the crank produce it's own harmonic's so does the cam that's why the chain has always worked so well, now you put a gear drive on it and the cam harmonic's get transferred to the crank and crank to the cam now you have a hole new set of vibrations going on. Jesel belt drive's are the best thing going because they absorb all the vibration's

The harmonics stuff has been debunked a long time ago. I have no worries there anyway.

I got this tidbit from a post by "Team Green" over on the .org site.

" The crankshaft to camshaft centerline is the same with the big block MoPar and the slant six. You have to machine the front of the crank to get the crank gear back so it will line up with the cam gear. We ran a gear drive on the Lancer and also had to take a little off the block for the bar that holds the center gears on the gear drive."

jus sayin...........

That's not true. You can make a spacer to sit behind the camshaft gear, which is what I intend to do. I'll do whatever is necessary to make it happen, unless I see something that requires a big expenditure of cash. I'm sorry, but I just don't think 1/4" difference is enough to bring out the big wallet. I'm going to find out.

-
Back