Big Block Gear Drive On A Slant?

-
It should not make a difference (the number of teeth on the idler) as long as the tooth pitch is the same. As long as the ratio is 2 to 1 on the crank and cam, the number of teeth on the idler is not relevant.
Well, it's 2 to 1 no question!

Well I blew up the picture, and I don't think this will work. the crank gear and idler gear must have the same amount of gear teeth. Crank gear has 24 and the idler gear has 23, so it may start but will not run long afterwards. But the picture leaves little to desire, I could be wrong on the count, hope I am......

View attachment 1716122284
You are correct on the tooth count, but let me ask you this. This idler and crank gear were designed to run together in the set. Why is it different leaving the one gear out? This larger gear was going to mesh with the crank gear anyway.

Rusty give me the model # of the timing set and let me check it out. For all I have ever seen cam gears are always double the count of the crank gears. A 2:1 ratio, whether its chain, gear(s) or belt. I am pretty sure timing would be off more and more for every crank revolution it makes.

I quick test would be turn the crank a couple of times and see if it lines up again. Or let the masses decide, (that you call the drive through). lol

Rusty give me the model # of the timing set and let me check it out. For all I have ever seen cam gears are always double the count of the crank gears. A 2:1 ratio, whether its chain, gear(s) or belt. I am pretty sure timing would be off more and more for every crank revolution it makes.

I quick test would be turn the crank a couple of times and see if it lines up again. Or let the masses decide, (that you call the drive through). lol
It lines up every 180 and every 360. I've already checked that part out.

This is it. CAT GD440.

Crank gear has 24 teeth, cam gear has 48. So that much is "right".

It should not make a difference (the number of teeth on the idler) as long as the tooth pitch is the same. As long as the ratio is 2 to 1 on the crank and cam, the number of teeth on the idler is not relevant.
This is true, it makes sence to me now... thank you Rusty have a good day and thanks.

-
Back