Big block guy needs small block information

-

fredmopar

Reaction score
I am wanting to install a 360 in my 66 Barracuda. I don’t know small blocks well. What would be best choice if I want to keep distributor type ignition? Do not want computer controlled engine. Will a LA roller engine work? What about a magnum? All advice is appreciated. Please educate me.

My favorite best bang for the buck doing this the easy and inexpensive way is to use a 5.9.

I did mine the following way;

Edelbrock 600 AFB, RPM intake, headers and an upgraded ignition. A ready to run distributor is really nice. An electric fuel pump was used since there is no mechanical provision for one.

I used a B&M flex plate to mate the 727 to it. Lokar cables for the throttle and trans kick down.

This is a really good swap in engine.

You can buy a camshaft extension that drives a mechanical fuel pump on a 5.9, that is what I did.

Magnums have better heads, LA's had better valvetrain. Either can be had in a roller version and both can take the same distributor. Pre '96 Magnums had the balance weight on the converter after that it was on the flexplate for the rear with the same balancer. Magnum valve covers are ugly.....just put the LA's back on!

My 5.9, now a 408 with Engine Quest heads, LD 340 intake, and LA Mickey Thompson valve covers. I just completed a Holley Sniper EFI and Hyperspark conversion. Rod

IMG_4667.JPG

I guess it boils down to how much power you want and how much money you're willing to spend.. just about any combo of smallblock is doable with the money.

Magnums have better heads, LA's had better valvetrain. Either can be had in a roller version and both can take the same distributor. Pre '96 Magnums had the balance weight on the converter after that it was on the flexplate for the rear with the same balancer. Magnum valve covers are ugly.....just put the LA's back on!

I prefer the look of the magnum valve cover.

5.9 magnum all day long
if ex does not line up try Jeep or others
I'd keep the FI but that's just me
at least in Texas you do not have the cold

Luv that state song
The Ice of Texas are upon you

seriously
late LA roller 360 with 308 heads
or Magnum -magnums seem to have tighter tolerances and heads are even better - unless they are cracked
EQ heads are good in either case
closed chamber heads are best especially with tight quench

Last edited:
Since you do not yet have an engine, consider the tire limitation of that bodystyle, that it is sub-3000 pounds, and the long-stroke 360 will annihilate any street tire you can fit in there, from just about right off idle.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, (my combo is built to do just that); I'm just saying.

I like the LA roller because you can run a roller without the fear of oil pressure loss from uncovering the lifter oil band. Plus you get the shaft rockers. CI? What is intended use of the car? I like a 4” crank, a well ported head a good intake and headers will get you a bunch of power. I understand the argument of to much power for the tire, my car is a death trap on the street!, but you can put a bunch of power through a 7” tire if the suspension is dialed in. I always come down on make the power, then figure out what to do with it.

Since you do not yet have an engine, consider the tire limitation of that bodystyle, that it is sub-3000 pounds, and the long-stroke 360 will annihilate any street tire you can fit in there, from just about right off idle.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, (my combo is built to do just that); I'm just saying.
So will a mild 318.
:lol:

My mild 340 in my 71 Cuda back in high school would barely spin the tires, but ran like crazy at around 3k. My 408 in my 71 Barracuda roasts the tires at will.

My mild 340 in my 71 Cuda back in high school would barely spin the tires, but ran like crazy at around 3k. My 408 in my 71 Barracuda roasts the tires at will.
What year did you graduate?
2.94’s are hard to spin on a old &/or neglected engine.

1981, The Cuda had 3.23s and my Barracuda has 3.54s. My Cuda would lose to my friend's 69 383 Super Bee by a car length in the 1/4 and it could light up the tires across an entire parking lot. The Cuda had no low end torque, but would sure rev up and pull hard after getting into the cam. Rod

Ahhhhhh, a swapped cam is probably the culprit I bet!
Nice picture, ahhhh, back in the day when a 10 year old car could be bought by a hard working kid.

Man I miss those days.

Ahhhhhh, a swapped cam is probably the culprit I bet!
Nice picture, ahhhh, back in the day when a 10 year old car could be bought by a hard working kid.

Man I miss those days.

Yep, borrowed the money from my grandma and paid her back fairly quickly. Looking back, a spring change would have kept the secondaries from opening too soon. That would have helped the throttle response. The car was a riot to drive and I drove it like I stole it, basically a menace to society. :)

-
Back