Big block hydraulic roller lifters, which ones or whats your opinion on Comps ?

-

braz28

Reaction score
I purchased a set of Comp hydraulic rollers and debating installing them given Comps so so reputation , my first choice were lifters manufactured by Morel, but none are available.

Hughes as their home brand in stock, just not sure if same or better quality as Comps.

given whats available, without comprimising reliability, what would be my best option for hydraulic roller lifters?

thanks

So many things going on here....

To start, comp cams doesn't have a "so so", reputation. There are a few people who insist they cut cams using GM lobes. Insert extended eye roll.

Hughes isn't producing their own lifters. While they may stand behind "their" lifters, they don't exactly have a pristine reputation either. I'd like to know who is producing them, and whose design they are using.

I don't know if the make a hyd roller, but what was recommended to me by two prevalent engine builders and currently in my engine are Crower HIPPO roller lifters.

I find it odd that people have such a fear of roller lifter failure. There are literally dozens upon dozens of threads on this forum of flat tappet failures. I can't say i've seen any about wiping lobes with a roller lifter or roller lifter failure. What I have been told by my engine builder is that some of his older builds developed a squeaky roller lifter, which was replaced and life went on, without failure.

Last edited:
Hughes isn't producing their own lifters. While they may stand behind "their" lifters, they don't exactly have a pristine reputation either. I'd like to know who is producing them, and whose design they are using.

Pretty sure Hughes sells Johnson hylift (actually American made) and they are very good

Something new.

There’s an Indy headed 505 going together locally that I’m hoping gets these:

COMP Cams Evolution Hydraulic Roller Lifters

had a friend use these on an FE 390 and the pin that hold the roller in came loose on three cylinders, one cylinder shifted to one side and started to pound the lifter bore from the bottom, the others were just a matter of time, killed the lifter, cam, caused a tear down and re-do

Last edited:
Pins that hold the rollers in?

That sounds more like the old Elite solid roller lifters they used to sell.

What did Comp say when they saw the damaged parts?

CE2DD57A-BCF6-4AD2-BC8E-51CCA4D779E3.jpeg
Pins that hold the rollers in?

That sounds more like the old Elite solid roller lifters they used to sell.

What did Comp say when they saw the damaged parts?

Im probably using the wrong terminology but the main shaft that the roller rolls on. Looks like a pin? see attached. The part circled in green ( I noticed in my first post I pluralized pin which is probably what made it confusing. Corrected to singular now. Pin. )

They told him to pound sand!

0D93E776-4C4F-439C-AF7C-D56A427C622D.jpeg

edit: I may be wrong, looks like it was a slightly earlier version of the lifter you posted. But still comp and still happened…. Not confidence instilling…. See attached pic at the top of this post. Here is a link tot he kit at summit. COMP Cams K33-422-9 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Retrofit Cam and Lifter Kits | Summit Racing

Last edited:
If the lifters that failed in the FE don’t have the replaceable hydraulic cartridge, they aren’t the same as what I posted the link for.

They’ve only been available since about November.

I believe the Hughes hyd rollers are made by Morel.
Edit-looks like they also offer one for a BB from Howard’s.

Last edited:
AFAIK, they only offer solid rollers.
Yeah, that's my bad, because that's all I've ever ordered from them..
Having said that, the last Comp Hydraulic roller I saw, I was washing out of an oil pan.. LOL

Last edited:
If the lifters that failed in the FE don’t have the replaceable hydraulic cartridge, they aren’t the same as what I posted the link for.

They’ve only been available since about November.

I believe the Hughes hyd rollers are made by Morel.
Edit-looks like they also offer one for a BB from Howard’s.

I agree you are right. It was about 12-18 months before November. Still think that the performance was poor and ownership of the problem from comp was poor.

Last edited:
I agree you are right. It was about 12-18 months before November. Still think that the performance was poor and ownership of the problem from comp was poor.
Yeah, I've had issues with them too..

Built a stroker sb Ford for a gentleman and used Comp hydraulic roller lifters. Couldn't get oil flow from a pair of rollers to the rocker arms. So I called Comp and they immediately sent me another pair of rollers no questions asked. Still no oil flow. So I installed the oil galley plug I had left out and both pairs of roller lifters worked perfectly.

I've had excellent service and reliability from Comp Cams and their products.

Built a stroker sb Ford for a gentleman and used Comp hydraulic roller lifters. Couldn't get oil flow from a pair of rollers to the rocker arms. So I called Comp and they immediately sent me another pair of rollers no questions asked. Still no oil flow. So I installed the oil galley plug I had left out and both pairs of roller lifters worked perfectly.

I've had excellent service and reliability from Comp Cams and their products.
I've never had a cam core failure with them, but they have sent me the odd one with the wrong lobe on it! LOL

I just built a 512 with the standard Howard’s/morals. I wanted to use their high rpm versions but we ordered a set in June and they still aren’t here. oh well…

07D01667-BF8F-4588-BE4C-04B553D68E62.jpeg

-
Back