big block in 66 dart

-

dart361

Reaction score
Was wondering if the bb mounts for a 68 dart will work in my 66 i still have them from when my 68 got wrecked

Big block in an early A is a custom deal pretty much. I would suggest motor plate and assume you're gonna hack out the inner fenders for header clearance.

Schumacher has the mounts to make it happen, but exhaust will have to be totally custom. If it's a low deck motor, you'll have a little more room for exhaust.

66 and older a-bodys are 1.5 inches narrower on each side in the engine bay. Thats what makes it more difficult.

Yup. Long as it'a an A body rear axle, it'll bolt right in.

Joe how much front tire room do you have with the fenderwell headers?

if i remember the top of the shocks had to be moved towards the front of the car 3/4" toget headers to clear. they where 2" Hookers for a late a body.we raceed this dart like that for 3 years, its now a tube chassis car.lots of work to get it right .the headers were really worked over to get tire clearance. we ran moroso ds-2 front drag tires 23x5x15

You can run c-body manifolds if you want to keep the inner fenders, but if its a race car it would be very restricting exhaust wise.

Ian

The C body HP manifolds wouldn't be too restrictive for a mile engine.......if they'll fit. I know they fit in the 67 and up A bodies.

Years ago there was a '66 Barracuda for sale in my area with a 383/727 swapped in it. It had the B body hp manifolds on it, and they did some clearancing on the steering column to make em fit. Not sure I would want to do that myself...I'd rather just make some custom fenderwell headers if I was doing that kind of swap.

-
Back