Big block intake swap questions

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Sorry for the non-A body thread but it's big block related. Anyway, my friend has an old beater '64 880 with a 361 2bbl. He drives it around regularly. He and I decided to convert it to a 4bbl. for a fun project. Last weekend at Carlisle, we got a #2205968 383 intake and a 3251S Carter AFB which is off of a '62 413 to do the job.

Though I am no rookie, I have never done this particular job on a big block. Other than the parts already mentioned, what else am I going to need? I outlined a few things under question below.

I figure I need gaskets but I'm not sure what to get. I have been advised against re-using the valley tray but I don't even know if it has one of those. We don't need anything special, probably a Fel-Pro set if someone has a # they use. There a few to choose from, just want to get the right one.

Which type of silicone sealer do you guys use? I don't think I have anymore of the gray Mopar stuff we used at work so a parts-store alternative is what we will be looking for. Any kind/brand in particular?

I don't know AFB's too well. How is the choke handled on these? I looked into an Edelbrock electric choke conversion but there's no provision on the carb to attach it. The bosses where it would go have not been drilled. Not sure if I want to mess with that either. Do we need a manual choke cable?

AFB rebuild kit - any suggestions on vendors for this? I see them on Ebay, anyone have good luck with one source in particular?

Fuel line - I can make a fuel line for it if needed. Is the inlet going to be different? Does it just come out of a rubber line from the fuel pump?

Throttle linkage - I spoke to a few guys at Carlisle about the linkage. I gather that the 2 bbl throttle/kickdown linkage and brackets can stay but since the throttle lever on the carb is in a different position, we may need a longer throttle rod. Anyone have an idea of what to look for? Should we just get some threaded rod and make something or is there a specific thing I need to look for?

Throttle cable - I know I have one or two on my shelf but I don't know what application they are from. One might be a truck with a 360. Would his original work or do we need a different one?

Please let me know you think I may have missed anything. We will be doing this in about two weeks so we have some time to get the parts we need. Thanks for any input.

If the manifold you have is really off a 413, you can stop right there

B / RB engines are what is called "B" block and "RB" for "raised" block

This includes a fairly rare early 383, not often seen

and 413-426-440

All the low blocks are (I guess) the rare old 350, and 361--most 383s and all 400s

The raised blocks used the same heads, pan and timing cover. But the raised block causes the heads to be slightly "wider apart" so the valley cover and intake won't fit between the two series

Other difference are the cranks, pushrods and distributors. along of course with pistons

I have reused valley trays. Even though it may not be recommended you really can't hurt anything by trying. Your kickdown linkage may or may not work properly...

I have reused valley trays. Even though it may not be recommended you really can't hurt anything by trying.

I kind of thought re-using the valley tray was no big deal but wasn't sure. I may just get one though if it's cheap enough, just in case the one that's under there is somehow toast.

Your kickdown linkage may or may not work properly...

Does the geometry of the linkage change when using a different rod? Do I absolutely need to get a complete throttle/kickdown linkage set from a 4 bbl car?

It really depends on the car on whether the kickdown will work or not. I used the same single rod on my old 69 Polara when I put the four barrel on the 383, but on other setups it hasn't worked.

My answers within the quote in caps

Sorry for the non-A body thread but it's big block related. Anyway, my friend has an old beater '64 880 with a 361 2bbl. He drives it around regularly. He and I decided to convert it to a 4bbl. for a fun project. Last weekend at Carlisle, we got a #2205968 383 intake and a 3251S Carter AFB which is off of a '62 413 to do the job.

Though I am no rookie, I have never done this particular job on a big block. Other than the parts already mentioned, what else am I going to need? I outlined a few things under question below.

I figure I need gaskets but I'm not sure what to get. I have been advised against re-using the valley tray but I don't even know if it has one of those. We don't need anything special, probably a Fel-Pro set if someone has a # they use. There a few to choose from, just want to get the right one.

IN A GASKET KIT, THERE IS NO VALLEY TRAY. I HAVE REUSED THE OLD VALLEY TRAY WITHOUT ISSUE. JUST TAKE CARE IN REMOVING THE INTAKE OR YOULL PAY A WHOPPING 15 BUCKS FOR A NEW ONE. DO SOME ON LINE RESEARCH TO THE HEAD GASKET THICKNESS OF THE HEAD GASKET.

Which type of silicone sealer do you guys use? I don't think I have anymore of the gray Mopar stuff we used at work so a parts-store alternative is what we will be looking for. Any kind/brand in particular?

PERMATEXT BLACK, LOCKTIGHT BLACK

I don't know AFB's too well. How is the choke handled on these? I looked into an Edelbrock electric choke conversion but there's no provision on the carb to attach it. The bosses where it would go have not been drilled. Not sure if I want to mess with that either. Do we need a manual choke cable?

THE OE CHOKE USES A CHOKE WELL. YOU CAN DRILL AND TAP THE BOSSES TO FIT THE EDELBROCK CHOKE. IVE DONE IT BEFORE. YOULL NEED EVERYTHING FROM THE EDEL. CARB

AFB rebuild kit - any suggestions on vendors for this? I see them on Ebay, anyone have good luck with one source in particular?

SORRY, NO ANSWER HERE

Fuel line - I can make a fuel line for it if needed. Is the inlet going to be different? Does it just come out of a rubber line from the fuel pump?

THE FITTING IS STANDARD CARTER. YOU CAN USE EDELBROCK STUFF

Throttle linkage - I spoke to a few guys at Carlisle about the linkage. I gather that the 2 bbl throttle/kickdown linkage and brackets can stay but since the throttle lever on the carb is in a different position, we may need a longer throttle rod. Anyone have an idea of what to look for? Should we just get some threaded rod and make something or is there a specific thing I need to look for?

YOU CAN CONBLE THIS OR GO TO FAVTOR STIFF OR LOKAR OR EQUAL STUFF

Throttle cable - I know I have one or two on my shelf but I don't know what application they are from. One might be a truck with a 360. Would his original work or do we need a different one?

NOT SURE ABOUT LENGTH, SORRY

Please let me know you think I may have missed anything. We will be doing this in about two weeks so we have some time to get the parts we need. Thanks for any input.

Lokar or equal can be the source for the throttle and trans kickdown if factor stuff is not altered to fit. It is possible to reuse the OE linkage with some rework. I just can say I have done it on a Big block. Small block, yes.

When using the single rod kick down, and going from a 2 barrel To a 4 barrel, I had to lengthen it by cutting off the threaded section, and welding a bolt of the same size as the rod.then weld the threaded part back on. You want the length of the rod so when the throttle is fully open, the rod pushes the transaction lever all the way back.

If the intake is cast iron, it is supposed to take the valley pan only as the gasket. If you want to reuse the old one, I would use Copper Coat on it......or a new one either way. New ones are pretty cheap, really.

-
Back