Big Block Ring Compressor - Which one?

-

royslead

Reaction score
I'm assembling my engine, it's a 383, bored .060" over, to 4.310." I have a couple of the older band style (BluePoint / Lisle) compressors, and always had good luck with them; but none of the the ones I have, seem to fit properly without a struggle. What's the consensus on ring compressors that fit / work well? I've seen the tapered, one-bore size, the pliers type, and the band type, what are you all using?

In my opinion, the tapered ones are the best. However, you obviously can only use it on one size. The old school spring steel wind up ones have always worked good for me. They just take a little longer to use than the tapered ones.

@RustyRatRod I've wondered how well those work that was a set I had my eye on. Do they hold pretty well or are there issues like the compression sleeve type I have, where the rings sometimes pop out the bottom and hang up?
@RatBastid and @MoparMike1974 from what I read the adjustable (and non adjustable) tapered styles are best suited with a studded block (to hold the heads on), as the studs help "place" the ring compressor. It makes sense, but does anyone have experience using them on an open deck?

@RustyRatRod I've wondered how well those work that was a set I had my eye on. Do they hold pretty well or are there issues like the compression sleeve type I have, where the rings sometimes pop out the bottom and hang up?
@RatBastid and @MoparMike1974 from what I read the adjustable (and non adjustable) tapered styles are best suited with a studded block (to hold the heads on), as the studs help "place" the ring compressor. It makes sense, but does anyone have experience using them on an open deck?
Always works fine for me. You have to keep tension on the pliers with your hand as you tap the piston into the bore. I always go gently because every now and then one does hang up, but I just back it out and do it again.

The link finally worked for me. I bet I’ve installed 1k pistons using that exact set.

Works perfect every time. The only thing about that particular ring compressor (and all those types where you have to grab the pliers or use the hex wrench on) is its considerably slower than a tapered ring compressor.

If you have the adjustable one, once you set the diameter you can almost stand three feet back and the piston falls in the hole.

Other than being faster the one in the link is a great tool.

The link finally worked for me. I bet I’ve installed 1k pistons using that exact set.

Works perfect every time. The only thing about that particular ring compressor (and all those types where you have to grab the pliers or use the hex wrench on) is its considerably slower than a tapered ring compressor.

If you have the adjustable one, once you set the diameter you can almost stand three feet back and the piston falls in the hole.

Other than being faster the one in the link is a great tool.
Yeah, I never get in a hurry anyway. lol

-
Back