Big block / small block

-

Farmall1938

318 poly owner
Reaction score
Whats the difference in the bell housing area/crankshaft flywheel plate between the small block and the big block mopars ? Im having a hard time finding a 360 reasonably priced thats close, but there is a 413 wedge motor close to me, as well as a couple 440's. I plan to make an adapter to bolt it up to my 1960 dodge tranny......if possible. Id like to keep the old thing all mopar.....but if forced, I will have to stick a bowtie in there.....since they're easy to find.

where in NY are you?
JVC is a company that does this. Perhaps TransDapt?

You can find almost anything. Plus, with a name like "Farmall1938" I'd figure you'd be used to it ;). I was at the first fair of the season yesterday, watching a couple Farmalls, and a few Olivers pulling it out with the Internationals and Deeres.

Anyway, If you have a clutchflite, I dont know which would be easier, but i'd think a larger engine, smaller bell might be the best way to start... So I'd look for the 440s.

Well the truck had a 318 poly in it..... and it is broken beyond repair.... I wanted to adapt a 360, but they're tooooo pricey around here (western NY) though I don't see why..... There is a 413 near me, that needs some work, but I think it would be cool to make it fit! I have access to milling machines and a lathe, and know how to use them (well most of the time anyway) and wanted to make a bell housing adapter to make either the SB or BB mopar fit my poly bell housing. Doable ?

340mopar said:
The poly bellhousing pattern is the same as the later small block engines like the 360.

No its not- I've already went down that road....... THis is a pre 1961 poly, which supposidly has the same pattern as the older 50's engines (I think the old hemis but not sure....) One thing is for sure, it is NOT the same as a SB mopar block.... I looked as a SB bell and the pattern is obviously different.

Thanks though

I missed the 1960 part. Is it a manual trans or auto. If it is a manual does it have a hydraulic slave cylinder on the pass side of the bell?

Farmall1938, My dad has a '66 poly318 with auto-trans for sale. We also live in WNY. Let me know if you need more details.

S.

He pulled the motor and trans after the big block bug hit him. :evil2:

'66 poly is not the same as mine..... besides, I already sourced a 360, and have also found the bellhousing..... Thanks though

Ryan

Well I got a 360 to shove into my truck. Im waiting for a bellhousing that I bought on ebay. Then all I need is the right flywheel.....and I should be ready to stick it in, and figgure out the mountings.

The 360 is from a camper, and the odometer said 62,000 miles. The engine looks clean inside, and I hope the 62k is accurate. The engine has a 2bbl carb, but I want to stick a 4bbl on it. I have a holley 650 spreadbore. Will this mate up to the spreadbore manifolds I see on ebay for mopar SB engines ? Will the engine accept the extra fuel/air OK ? I would guess it has an RV cam in it, but maybe not. It appears completely stock 1976, as installed in the camper.

-
Back