big cam in stockish 318

-

x340Dusterx

Reaction score
Ive got 73 duster 318 727 3.55 gears with 8 1/4 rear end
its got a 318 bored .30 over with stock heads ported to fit intake manifold
holley 750 vacum secondaries, edelbrock performer intake, headman headers, flowmasters, and a mopar purple shaft cam 292/292 duration with .508 lift for both intake and exhaust
Car sounds gnarly idleing but has weak low end power (barley spins tires) and mild high end power

Does anyone know how to make more lowend power with stock 318 heads and would a smaller cam make a noticable power increase

that cam is killing a boatload of cylinder pressure,and along with being over-carbed,no offense,but that thing probably sounds like a pro-stocker,but has to be a lumbering turd. i'm suprised it will even spin the tires. well,you didn't specify how small the tires (tire?) are.lol.

Too much cam..too much carb for a basically stock 318...if the converter is stock its not enough for that cam also...

Too much cam.. too much carb for a basically stock 318,and if the converter is stock its not enough for that cam...

that cam is killing a boatload of cylinder pressure,and along with being over-carbed,no offense,but that thing probably sounds like a pro-stocker,but has to be a lumbering turd. i'm suprised it will even spin the tires. well,you didn't specift how small the tires (tire?) are.lol.

thats what my scamp sounds like, I don't know the size of my cam as I got it in a trade, and my stockish 318 won't turn the 275/60 bfg's:angry7: car sounds wicked but a neon could out run me to 3500 rpm.

1" spacer under the carb will help a bit!!!!!!!! Make sure the timing is at full 36 at around 2000rpm. Simple change of springs in the distributor. Maybe change the secondary spring in the carb..

Start with 68's (Jets) in the front of carb and 70's in the rear then put a set of plugs in it and make a good run down the raod and pull them to see if they have a brownish color! If not, go up by 2 in the front and rear and make another run and check again. should be good around 70-72's.. Good luck!! As stated below, most likely too much cam/carb.

Big cam for a 318.

Make sure it has plenty of initial timing in it, like 20* or more.

Would probably run better with a smaller camshaft like an MP 455 lift cam, XE262H or something like that.

If you put the stock 318 cam back in it and a holley 600, you'll think it has 100 more horses. That cam you have now has 248.5 degrees duration at .050" ground on 108 lobe centers. Your cylinder pressure is goin out the tailpipes.

-
Back