Big safety changes coming

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To NHRA

IMG_0361.jpeg

If you're running 150mph or anything close to 7.49 in the 1/4 mile you probably should already be wearing one. You only get one life on Earth.

Tom

Heck my 408 would probably be in the 139-140 range. I guess I’m lucky we don’t run 1/4 mile anymore. Only NHRA track I run at is Norwalk and the tech inspector makes me go by NHRA rules. Bill bader Sr promised to let us go by our track rules witch was IHRA at the time. But bill is no longer with us

Look @ Earnhardt wreck looked like a routine encounter but it took out a great Sportsman !

Rules were a lot different then and he didn’t follow the ones they did have. I’ve heard nightmares about his seat.

And how he mounted the belts. Bill Simpson said the way he was doing it would end up killing him. Simpson testified somewhere about that. I think I ran across his testimony on YouTube several years ago.

I agree with this change as it's for the better, but will it be enforced? I mean they don't even enforce they rules they have now.

I agree with this change as it's for the better, but will it be enforced? I mean they don't even enforce they rules they have now.
Heck, I've been to many tracks where they don't even look at the car. Went to a track this spring. Never been there before. Official never got up from his chair. Only thing he mentioned was that my headers might be too low, and cause a problem in staging.
PS: I have a nitrous fogger system.

Rules were a lot different then and he didn’t follow the ones they did have. I’ve heard nightmares about his seat.
A lot of drivers have been killed by neck injuries. Your head is heavy even without the helmet, causes spinal cord injury.
Not a fan of F1, but the finalky woke up some by requiring 'halos' on the cars. I had thought they should require Top Fuel style hoops to protect the heads. That support bar in the middle of the driver's line of sight must be a pain. I imagine the drivers learn to focus past it, but ugly as spit IMHO.

I’m right at the door for requirement…. I should have jumped on the Necksgen sale yesterday that was $50 off.

There is also talk of needing and SFI approved flex plate / flywheel ( read it on Classracer.com ) for all cars. Evidently one came apart at a divisional meet or somewhere . I just installed a new one a few months ago and took a picture of the SFI sticker in case a tech inspector asks. My close friend races a 57 Corvette that runs mid 11's there is also a new requirement that any car that has a removable hard top ( even if raced with the hard top on ) has to have a roll bar I forget the E.T. requirement 13.99 and quicker perhaps. He is the process of installing one but its tight in the drivers compartment. My home track is pretty strict when it comes to rules he was warned several times about going to quick without a bar so he was going to install one anyhow even before the new rule. Like I stated they are strict : even though my Dart has a bar I dialed 11.46 and made the pass without my SFI jacket on and was warned.

141958BA-3AF0-43E4-BB73-E121522ACD9C.jpeg

Last edited:
There is also talk of needing and SFI approved flex plate / flywheel ( read it on Classracer.com ) for all cars. Evidently one came apart at a divisional meet or somewhere . I just installed a new one a few months ago and took a picture of the SFI sticker in case a tech inspector asks.

Back in the day the “cool kids” (those who ran nationals/divisionals) had a notebook they’d carry with them to tech with receipts of said SFI components. My receipt for my new flex plate may or may not have accidentally fallen into my friends folder. He actually had the proper equipment, but the date stamps may have been questionable.

my car has all the right stuff, but I can bet the dates are all well past what they require. Luckily the “for fun” events I attend this isn’t an issue….. matter of fact Ive questioned why i even get my chassis sticker updated.

-
Back