dallas ward

Reaction score
Hello
So I hav a 1969 dart with a. 8 3/4 sure grip
The leafs hav been moved in 3/4 per side
What's the biggest rim I can run
Any way a 15 x 8 with a 4" bs will fit or
Is the biggest going to be a 15 x 7 with a 4.50" bs

I would use this method to determine what wheel fits on YOUR car. Relying on what others have used on their cars can be a costly mistake.

I fit a 255/60r15 on my 73 dart with a 15x8 4.5 backspacing rim, really right but fits. But it's hard to say if it will fit on yours, I just measured everything to make sure it would fit.

Biggest I could get under my stock located s/s spring 69 Swinger were 255/60/15s on 15x7 w 4.25 backspacing. Not much room either way. have 1/2" between tire and wheel lip, 1" between tire and springs. With your springs being moved in a little, I would guess a 15x8 would fit w about 4.5 bs. I tried 15x8s w 4.5 on my car and they were about touching my stock located springs, so I could not use them. I was lucky to have a buddy w assortment of rims to try.

Biggest I could get under my stock located s/s spring 69 Swinger were 255/60/15s on 15x7 w 4.25 backspacing. Not much room either way. have 1/2" between tire and wheel lip, 1" between tire and springs. With your springs being moved in a little, I would guess a 15x8 would fit w about 4.5 bs. I tried 15x8s w 4.5 on my car and they were about touching my stock located springs, so I could not use them. I was lucky to have a buddy w assortment of rims to try.

Sorry, I said that backwards. The 8s w 4.5 bs were touching wheel well opening w no tires, it was the 8s w 5.5 bs that were touching my springs. Why I ended up w 7" wheels w 8 3/4 stock located springs. An 8 w 5.5 bs may better fit your car if springs have been moved in an inch.

I think my front rims are 15 X 8 but I got my car jacked up and I have the wider track width because of the '74 disc brake set up.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC04280.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 879
  • DSC04279.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 821
  • DSC04275.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 811
  • DSC04274.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 758
Search, there is a lot of info on the 67-69 Dart. All other cars have different wheel wells.

I have 17x8 with a 5.375 or 5.5 (I can't remember) back space with a 245 wide tire, butttt, I have an A-body 8-3/4 with 4x4.5 bolt pattern which widens the track. So it depend on your rear. I need to roll the inner fender a tad (due to quarter panel replacement on one side) but otherwise the spring are in the stock location.

My front are 17x7 with a 4.75" back spacing and a 215/50/17 tire and 73-up discs.

Good luck fining off the shelf rims......

Do some measuring of a rim on your car. I have a 71, so different, but I wound up with 5.5 BS on 15x8 for a 275 tire. It centered it perfect on mine, with the springs inboard roughly 1/2.

Its not hard, just do some measuring. Its the BS that is key to making it fit, and not rub the outer fender.

You should be able to fit a 275/60/15 with the offset spring kit. The key is measuring carefully. You may have to order custom offset wheels as well. I've got 275s under my 68 sedan with 15 x 7s and 4.75bs.

Seen couple guys with a 15 x 8 with a 5.5 backspace
Would like to run the biggest I can

Whats your plans for the front as that rim with that BS will not clear your upper A-arm. I had 15x7.5 with a 5.375 BS (Centerline Convo-Pro's) and it made physical contact with the A-arm and required a .188" spacer to clear it, but then the tire (225/60/16 at that time) sat flush with the outside lip of the fender. This rim, however, was a great fit for the rear. You can see below, the top picture was with the same 15x7.5 rims/tires front and rear. Bottom pic is new combo with proper offsets to clear body and suspension.

Attachments

• pict0004.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 20140808_135637.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 742
Hello
Is the biggest going to be a 15 x 7 with a 4.50" bs

You asked about the biggest tire but then just mentioned rims. With the relocation kit that you have 10.5" section width is max and it will require the correct backspacing on the rim.

Sorry looking for rim size

I have centerlines for the front
They are 4 or 5" wide

Just need to know if the 15 x8
Will fit

I see others have 15x8 with a 5.5 bs
And wondering if that would also work for me

-- Anybody get a 15 x 8 to fit
If so what back space --
-- This is a 15 X 8 with 275-60-15 tires. The springs were moved in with a off-set kit, 3/4", I believe. - The wheel wells were not modified. - I had the BS changed, on the Mopar Wheels, but don't remember what it was. - Car now gone.

Attachments

• Dart 68.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 862
I want to run a 15 x8 but don't know what backspace
Have seen a few guys with a 5.5 backspace

I'm not going to run a street tire the car won't hook

I run cheater slicks
Most times it won't hook on the street with cheaters

Hooks awesome at the track

I need to know about backspace as i have seen posts with people getting 8" rims on darts with shackles moved in

Your best bet is to measure your car. A rim of known dimension helps. A Percy's wheelrite would do it to. When you look at tires, look for the width at the side wall bulge. Also use the correct width tire for your rim width.

Hi Dallas, Here's a thread I did some time ago on just what you may be looking for, at least it should help.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=297526
I'm still running Nitto 275/50/15's on a 15x8 with 4.5 backspace with offset spring kit. I do have rolled lips but I didn't do them. I also have a narrowed 8 3/4 so you'd need more backspace if your running a stock "A" body rear end.
I think it might help as there's lots of input.
Dano's referring to tire section width at the sidewall and there can be a big difference between manufactures.
There really is no substitute for measuring as well if you can get it close.
Best/Brian

-- Hello
Is the biggest going to be a 15 x 7 with a 4.50" bs --
-- Move the springs in to the sub-frames. - This is My 69 Valiant.

Attachments

• Under The 69.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 739
These are 15x8's with 26x10.50's. (275mm) before I did the mini tub. Now I run 12.50's on 11.25" rims.

Attachments

• 2013-05-31_18-07-02_756small.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 668
You asked about the biggest tire but then just mentioned rims. With the relocation kit that you have 10.5" section width is max and it will require the correct backspacing on the rim.

OP your not listening;

If a 10.5 section is all that fits in there, then;10.5 x 25.4mm =266.7mm.The closest size to that is a 265; and at a .7 checking rim, that woulda been on a 7.5 inch rim. If you put a 265 on an 8inch rim it will grow perhaps 6 to 10 mm making it a 271 to 275mm or 10.7 to 10.8 inch section. But if you mount it on a 7 inch rim the profile might diminish those same 6 to 10 mm, making it a 259 to 255 section,or 10.2 to 10.0.
Now to make this successful with an 8incher, it will have to be very carefully centered.....And here's the trick; you can run the tire sidewall pretty close to the spring,say 1/8. But you have to stay away from the spring side of the tub if you are into cornering. About a half inch if the tire is well supported. But you for sure need to stay away from the fender lip; 3/4 to 1 inch;depending on the body sway, and rearend side-shift,which increases with higher arched springs. But the fender lip and inner tub wall is not always the trouble spot. As the tire gets taller it starts to rub on other things in there. And for straight-lining, a tall tire is what you need in a Dart tub.
Now heres another thing; you need to consider your driving style. The profile on the 8 inchers will not give much,if any, wiggle room for aggressive cornering.On 7s you can corner body wise, but you will need to run a higher tire pressure to avoid the tires rolling over the treads, which causes the back-end to steer the car.

So the order of things is this; choose the tire. Then the rim. Then the bs.

And as to bs; A hair too much is better than not enough, cuz with too much you can add a wheel spacer. But with not enough, you are kinda screwed, cuz the tire is into the fender.

As a side note; The checking rim for a 275 was probably also a 7.5 inch rim, making a 275 tire on an 8incher about 287mm or 11.3inch section.And on a 7incher it might be 265mm, or 10.4. Now I have run 275s on 8.5 inch rims(68Barracuda) and that works very well.They corner reasonably well at 28psi, straightline well at 24psi, and have a long treadlife at 26psi. But on 7s, those 275s will corner like crap, unless you really pump up the pressure, which will lift the outside of the tires off the pavement, and then it will hook like crap in straightline mode. And unless you run a very low tire pressure, it will burn off the centers of the treads in no time. The 50 series are worse than the 60s.

Diminsioning the tubs is pretty easy with any old rim(the wider the better) mounted on on the axle,using nothing more than a plumb-line,a sheet of posterboard taped to the floor, and a stick of wood clamped across the rim edges. But you have to know the height of the tire you plan to run.

And as a final fairwell,With street suspension, almost nothing hooks on the street without a traction aider.

And as to bs; A hair too much is better than not enough, cuz with too much you can add a wheel spacer. But with not enough, you are kinda screwed, cuz the tire is into the fender.

I've run a 1/8" to 1/4" spacer frequently. Make sure you get quality billet spacers.

There you go!
That's how I set mine up too, for 325/50s; to run a spacer. Then after "massaging the inner walls, the front corners, and moving the axle back, I was able to run without them.Just. (Barracuda tubs)
I sometimes wonder if all the 108wb cars had those same or similar sized larger tubs. Right from the Plymouth: Barracuda/Duster to the Dodge: Demon/Dart Sports.I bet they shared the same floor-pan dimensions..Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

-
Back