biggest tire that can fit in minitubbed a-body?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished tubbing my 71 scamp reusing the stock tubs and im going to move in my springs. my question is how tall and wide can i go on my tire? i have about 14inches(if i can remeber) between the inner well to the outer....also, what backspacing would i have to run on the wheels in order to stuff maximum meat under there?

thanks
Matthew

great question! i'm curious to the response. i'm in the process of that now.... finished springs and now i'm doing the wheel wells...

heres my car-70 dart , tubs moved in flush , lips trimmed flush , springs moved in.

rear is moved back 1.5"

15 x 10 welds w/ 7.5 bs

hoosier slicks 29 x 10.5 . these are about 13.5" wide at the sidewalls when mounted

for a 29 or taller you will have to either :

trim the quarters at the front

or move the rear back

unless you have a narrowed rear that tucks the tires under the wells real good

hey 496dart, i think im going to be moving my rear back 1 inch, but not sure yet...are your tubs the stock tubs or aftermarket ones? and are you running ss springs? From what i understand your tires have a 13.5 section width and are 29 inch tall with not clearance issues at all? how much of a gap is there between the wheel lip and the sidewall on your dart? my wheel lips are flush as well

I can get M/Ts 28x12.50x15 on 10" wide wheels. The M/Ts are 13.2 from side wall to side wall. I also moved the front bottom of the fender lip 3/4" for 29s but stuck with the 28s.

60.JPG

My minitub/spring relocate project will be done in the next couple of weeks.

I plan on running MT 325/50R15 tires on 15X10 wheels. Backspacing will be determined when I convert my rear brakes to 11" and add the Yukon axles.

315x60x15 m/t et street radial on a 15x12 centerline. forgot back spacing though...
springs moved in and wells moved over.
That tire is 29.7 tall ! hits nothing even with my 300lb friend in the pass seat

thanks for all the replies guys...but its hard now cuz you guys are all over the board with the sizes you run lol....tensec340, are you using stock tubs moved flush with the framerail? and did you move your rearend back at all or trim the front quarters? i always heard that the tallest tire you can run in the stock tubs with the tub flush to the framerail is 28.5, and width is up to measuring....how did the 15x12 fit on that tire, cuz on the M/T site, they only recommend going up to an 11 inch wheel...im assuming you have quite a bit of backspacing in order to be running this combination.

anybody else out there know what the biggest size i can stuff in the stock tubs is, or just want to say what they are running....i was going to go with the MT 325/50R15 on a 15x10 inch wheel (like BrianT) to be safe, but now seeing tensec340 running a 315/60R15, I am wondering if i can go taller in the stock well? Also, how would i determine what backspacing the wheel will need for the tire i am going to run?

Steel wheels from a 2002 volkswagon jetta will fit if your bolt pattern is still 5x4"...all joking aside, here is a good link for determining the backspace of the wheel you want to run http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Decide what size tire you want to run first I think that's in there somewhere. You need to pick a rim width and then take into account the distances of things like your springs, frame and such from the wheel mounting surface. The backspace is going to send the center of your wheel/tire combo in or out.

What you might want to do first is pick a tir wide. An old trick...tie a log nut onto a string, tape one end of the spring to ur quarter panel top center o fthe wheel opening and let the string dangle until it rests. Measure the distance from the string to the closest thing in your wheelwell and thats how wide of a tire you can go.

Check out that link...but start with a desired tire width.

What you might want to do first is pick a tir wide. An old trick...tie a log nut onto a string, tape one end of the spring to ur quarter panel top center o fthe wheel opening and let the string dangle until it rests. Measure the distance from the string to the closest thing in your wheelwell and thats how wide of a tire you can go.

Stroker had the first part right. Here is how you can measure the rest. At least that's how I plan on determining offset.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/wheelspacing.shtml

those sites seem like a good starting point for sizing up what im going to run....im going to use that to determine for sure obviously, but id still like to hear what size tire some of you guys are running under a minitub that reused the stock tubs

hey 496dart, i think im going to be moving my rear back 1 inch, but not sure yet...are your tubs the stock tubs or aftermarket ones? and are you running ss springs? From what i understand your tires have a 13.5 section width and are 29 inch tall with not clearance issues at all? how much of a gap is there between the wheel lip and the sidewall on your dart? my wheel lips are flush as well

stock tubs.

ss springs

plenty between tire and quarter lip , same on springs to tire - i would have to go measure it--but its fine, nothing rubs

you say nothing rubs...is it a track only car, or do you drive it on the street too? I wont be going SS springs, so im not too sure if i can go with a 29 inch tall tire, but i'll have to measure all that...13.5 section width sounds about righ as to what can fit underneath i think....anybody else out there want to share their combo?

moved the wells to the frame, rear is all stock size and placement.
as for the 12" I had them so I tried it and they sit perfect on the rims.Dont remember back space but it was on the big side.
the only thing i needed to trim was the very lower front section of the 1/4 ,about a 1/2 at the bottom up about 3" and at that point to zero. You could not ever tell unless you looked for it.
Tire 315/60R15
Section Width: 12.40 in
Overall Diameter: 29.88 in
Sidewall Height: 7.44 in
Radius: 14.94 in
Circumference: 93.87
Fits real nice,have about 3/4 on both sides
I'll get some pics this weekend

Rumblefish has some rear shots of my car,I'll get him to post up one

heres my car-70 dart , tubs moved in flush , lips trimmed flush , springs moved in.

rear is moved back 1.5"

15 x 10 welds w/ 7.5 bs

hoosier slicks 29 x 10.5 . these are about 13.5" wide at the sidewalls when mounted

for a 29 or taller you will have to either :

trim the quarters at the front

or move the rear back

unless you have a narrowed rear that tucks the tires under the wells real good

I've got the exact wheel and backspacing.

The only thing I have different is my forward portion of the rear wheel opening was massaged forward 1.5 inches and blended in to look stock.

Otherwise the wheel is so close to the wheel opening it looks kinda cramped.

this is with b body shackles,I broke one of mine the night before the race.
A body shackle sits 3/4 lower.

hard to see in that pic but theres about 3/4 clearence in the front of the tire

Pinks 012 (Small).jpg

Hey guys,

I just finished tubbing my 71 scamp reusing the stock tubs and im going to move in my springs. my question is how tall and wide can i go on my tire? i have about 14inches(if i can remeber) between the inner well to the outer....also, what backspacing would i have to run on the wheels in order to stuff maximum meat under there?

thanks
Matthew
Here's what I found out mini tubbing my Dart Gt. If you use the super stock springs the car will naturally lean one way hitting on one side of the car. I had .625" clearance between the tires but when you go around corners the car will lean and if you have slant 6 torsion bars it will be worse and may hit a little. The following year I put a competetion engineering sway bar in that keeps the car from leaning but allows the suspension to travel up and down. This helped out a lot. I also went to some extra heavy duty leaf springs that sit the car level and sold the SS springs. So running XHD springs,sway bar, pinion snubber only I get 1.58 sixty foot times on a 11.50 car. So the XHD springs will hook up if you're concerned about not running the SS springs. We mini tubbed the car first and then purchased the wheels and tires 15 X12.5 ET streets mounted on a 15X10 rim with 5" back spacing. We then put them under the car and centered them. I measured between the rims for axle width or drum to drum width. The guy who narrowed my rear end was smart enough to ask me what car it was out of to offset the pig one way for a a-body. I believe it was 1" for a-body. Jysnflem

DSC_8374.jpg

DSCN4379.jpg

Hey guys thanks for all the advice...as far springs im not going to be running ss springs....im going to add a leaf to my rear springs, and im keeping my /6 bars even with the 340 in. I dont plan on trimming the front wheel opening, so i think im going to move my rearend back about 1-1.5" and go from there...its good to see everybody's combo and perspective on how it should be done....really helps to know what works for others....if anybody else has any input please share

thanks Matthew

if you get it done and its tight on the inside--the spring side, you can add aluminum wheel spacers , they have 1/4" and 1/2" .

Im sorry---forgot to add that-------- i do have 1/4" spacers on mine. The quarter to tire on the outside is about 1" now. spring to tire is around 3/4" or so

I went out tonight to see the guy that's doin the mini-tub on my Dart. Everything is coming along nicely. A few loose ends and it will be ready to come home for brakes and tires!!

Here are some picts.

9-5-08004.jpg

9-5-08005.jpg

He smeared both sides with some sort of rubberized undercoating to seal the pin holes left from welding and grinding. I am not too happy about it, but have decided to cover it up using dyna mat.

-
Back