Biohazard

-
Cudos to you and all of your hard work!
It's not as easy cleaning stuff up as some people think it is.
It should look great when you re assemble it all!
Good pics, BTW!

It's not as easy cleaning stuff up as some people think it is.

So true - thanks for recognizing. Plus, everything I clean the gunk off of starts to oxidize. Turns out the goo was a wonderful preservative. :(

Great pics, BTW!!

What's a thread without pics?

Some good news: A guitar I've had for sale for many many moons finally has generated an interested party. It will cover the cost of the trans work so I may be able to get more resto stuff.

Obligatory pic:
DC125C0002_zps021fd7c2.jpg

Just found your thread and read it all. You are very detailed in cleaning, and for good reason, "WIFE's Nose".
Good luck with the rest of detailing and reassembling.

Wife's health just to be specific. And its a real challenge. Some of the available cleansers leave fumes behind that are as damaging as what you're trying to get rid of. You can't just douse it with Febreeze, y'know?

When I say everything 'soft' on this car is toast...man, I mean everything. That's why I did all the transmission seals - that's why all the belts and hoses and window felts and trunk seal and the interior and some stuff I probably haven't thought of yet all has to go.

This chunk of junk is the rear transmission mount.

tmount_zpsbc4630c8.jpg

tmount2_zps7b2cd587.jpg

This week I accomplished......
....absolutely nothing.

Thanks for reading.

You sure have a nice, solid car there. Too bad you had this major mold problem to deal with. But it looks like you will have a virtually new car when you finish it.

Your cruise control could have been a factory retrofit kit. I don't know if they ever offered one for that car, but they did offer such things back in the 70s.

I bought a new '74 B300 van and then two years later bought a kit from Dodge that had all the pieces in a box to do a correct, original not add-on looking cruise control installation.

Good info, but I've already promised the system to another member. Regardless, it's not "factory" original and ditching it makes my job, overall, a little easier.

Thanks for the comments...it will certainly be clean. But I have no immediate plans to redo anything on the exterior aside from fixing the nose panel mess and keeping everything detailed. Probably some correct hubcaps.

So I got a gallon jug of POR15's "Marine Clean". If you're not familiar, it is a water-based, enviro friendly degreaser that works VERY well. I had used it to clean up my GTI's engine when I had pulled and painted it so I'm versed with the product.

Marine Clean boasts being able to work just fine diluted 5:1. So, I did that and used it on some of those gunk pockets that accumulated around the K frame. Also sprayed it on the underside of the K and thought I would see what it would do to the undercoating (road and motor grime has stuck famously to the undercoating). The area of undercoating I tried it on was up under the front fenders - mind you, these areas were already pretty well cleaned. After rinsing the Marine Clean from this area, brownish water rinsed away and I can actually see that the area is cleaner.

I intend to continue using it further aft along the underbody to get rid of as much foul smelling grime as I can.

Beginning the restoration of the HVAC assembly.

Here's a shot of the evaporator and heater core housing. Shot many pics to aid in re-assembly.

IMG_1524_zps842eb819.jpg

Evaporator fins mushed-in in a few places. Started combing them straight with a small screwdriver.

IMG_1528_zpsd511e387.jpg

Got the cover off the evaporator housing. All this insulation, padding, and whatever needs disinfecting -- probably more importantly than any other part of the car.

IMG_1527_zps7be1a38f.jpg

Filthy, nasty debris screen:

IMG_1530_zps7e1ee80d.jpg

There was dirt, dust, dog hair, spiderwebs, and an old paper parking stub up in there.

Ordered the Detroit Mopar Technologies full HVAC resto kit today. Along with copious amounts of disinfecting ammonia, I have quite the project ahead of me.

Any opinions? Paint the wheels to match and go with dog dishes or just use correct full wheel covers?

simply love this thread,amazing and dedicated!

Thank you so much! It is a task with a purpose, that much is certain.

Got bizzy with the HVAC assembly (or disassembly) before the weekend even started.

Here's a look at that part of the HVAC box that houses the A/C evaporator. It is basically the black sheet metal box with an unpainted sheet metal liner inside of it and fiberglass insulation in between. I had already gotten the evaporator out.

IMG_1533_zps354ac1c9.jpg

Peeling off the insulation...easy enough..but there was plenty of glue used to put it in there. I want it all out!

IMG_1539_zpscb246a27.jpg

Here I am, peeling the drip tray out of the HVAC box. Have you any idea how nasty that insulating fibre is??

IMG_1540_zpsd57db543.jpg

Other side of the drip pan.

IMG_1540_zpsd57db543.jpg

Can't wait to get rid of this stuff! Could hardly pause long enough to snap pictures.

IMG_1540_zpsd57db543.jpg

In the next pic, you can see the drip pan in the background.

IMG_1543_zpsa446fe77.jpg

There is a foam panel glued to the flapper door.

IMG_1544_zpsa52dce92.jpg

Bucket of crud scraped from the HVAC box.

IMG_1545_zpsddc10774.jpg

After pulling out all of the loose insulating panels, I soaked the inside with that plant oil to let it sit overnight. Hopefully, the glue and goo will come off more easily.

Those unpainted sheet metal panels are going to the sandblaster to get completely de-gunk'd. Hey, why not? I'm taking some other stuff so may as well toss it all in a box. The black outer part of the HVAC box got sprayed down with ammonia to make sure it is completely de-con'd.

I did get the manifold heat valve unstuck so now both manifolds are going to get sandblasted so there's no accumulated carbon on the insides.

Thanks again, sir. I hope your prophecy pans out!

I was pretty excited when I figured out how to remove the HVAC blower from the housing. The deeper I can get in disassembly, the better I feel about just how 'clean' the car really is. This is the mounting ring and rubber seal that goes around the fan motor and bolts it to the housing. It has been separated, cleaned, and is sitting out to dry.

IMG_1548_zps60d1a424.jpg

Submerged the evaporator in a solution of Borax along with the drip pan and the mesh screen that shields the evaporator.

IMG_1546_zps01f261ce.jpg

Ultimately, this didn't really do anything for these parts. I can still smell that they are contaminated so I went back to Lowe's and cleared the shelf of all their ammonia. I will re-soak all of the HVAC internals with the ammonia as I have very high confidence in that technique.

I also pushed a can of flush through the evaporator and followed up with half a can of acetone. When I take the core to the A/C shop to pressure test it, I'll also have them connect some shop air to really clear it out.

1/2" birch plywood. I chose it over oak for ease of sanding.

First cut was a simple tracing.

IMG_1551_zpsfa8bc8cd.jpg

Used a beastie of a file to start, then a palm sander to even off the bevel.

IMG_1553_zps9ea91a37.jpg

Punched out the mounting points with a 3/16" drill bit followed by a 3/4" wood bit. I just eyeballed how deep to go for the recesses.

IMG_1554_zps6ae7ff1c.jpg

So lets have a gander at the really wack slab of plywood that came outta the car. Here's the side that was covered with carpet...

IMG_1555_zpsdc922757.jpg

...and the black side.

IMG_1556_zps9f2ea0e5.jpg

Due to it's smell, I was so happy to toss that thing on the heap.

Start with a quick reminder about my interior, driver's side cargo panel...it was hacked to accomodate a dealer-installed 6x9 speaker:

IMG_0932_zps94f186b0.jpg

Craig's list helped me locate a replacement outside Atlanta (4 hours) and my wife had a doc's appointment last Friday. I took the day off and made good use of the fact that we were going up that way anyhow.

IMG_1559_zpsb9dcf082.jpg

The gentleman just happended to have a pair of front parking lamps for a '69 (sure was nice of the DOT to put the year on the lens!) so I brought those home, too.

IMG_1558_zpsffa90ce4.jpg

Might be putting the cart before the horse but at best, it's one less thing I have to hunt for and at worst, I have a decent pair of lamps to trade.

I wetted a rag and just wiped some of the dirt off the chrome to see how it looked underneath. Aside from some crazing in the lens (normal) these appear to be in pretty decent shape.

IMG_1560_zps14147f70.jpg

Did some more cleaning today. Soaked, with degreaser, the underside from the pinch weld back to where the front seats mount - from side to side. Got a lot of dirty brown rinse water doing this (also evicted a fair number of spiders - a hint to me that the project is moving a tad slower than it should).

Also removed the exhaust system it it's entirety. More on that when I can post the pics to go with it.

-
Back