Birth of a 1970 Dart Convertible

-
Coming along fast. Put a seat and a roll bar in that sucker and drive it! LOL
Well, would a redneck go to that extreme? A milk crate will do the trick. LOL Of corse my son Dustin ask me that last night dad can we put the slant 6 in there and can I drive it. :eek:ops:

We made the final cut last night. You know if this car could speek and tell all the joy that it has brought to people, I'm it was with so many smiling faces. :icon_smi:
I'm sure it will bring lots of joy if and when I get it done.

Attachments

• 100_1304.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,366
I started cutting sheet metal and cutting spot welds till I broke all my cutting tools. everything seams to be in great shape but the driver side wheel house cap. some one did some repair already. I'm not real good shaping tin if it was wood its a snap. I think to fix it right i will have to take the cap off. a friend of mine is a teacher at our local college that means a road trip, what better way to spend your birthday. the double nickel wow.......... work to 11 then out of there. :cheers::cheers:

Attachments

• 100_1312.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • 100_1313.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • 100_1314.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 100_1287.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,356
Yep, somebody was in there before you. Feeling like an archeologist yet?
Looking forward to seeing this progress through the Winter. Nice job on the deconstuction.

I cut all the spot welds on the quarter panels where they connected to the top opening. I took those pieces over to my old garage where my 70 sits and laid those on top of the quarter panels, wow the roof line lines right up, what more could I ask for. There is a bend that is under the boot chrome, I was worried about that. I removed that wheel house cap it needs a lot of work so I’m going to try to locate one at Desert Valley auto parts. I got a door there for my 67 convertible, it cost plenty but it was worth it. i would like to get all the spot welds all cut and start on cleaning and painting this weekend.

Attachments

• 0127121640.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,333
  • 100_1318.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,330
I worked on cutting spot welds most of the day yesterday. Then off to a birthday party for my sister in law. I would of like to said that I'm not going but, I've been working on this nonstop all week, I would of been grounded for a month. Just kidding my wife is great with whatever I'm doing. After the party right back to the grindstone. I got all the parts cut and started the windshield frame and it was challenge, I got one side cut apart. I was very unhappy with my work on this part. I was getting frustrated and should have quite. I'm going to leave the other side to when I dismantle the windshield frame on the 70. I think today clean and work on a ford ranger with Dustin.

Not much left now maybe the trunk pan. I removed radiator support and 8 3/4 and what a surprise that was. I tried to spin it 360° with the leaf springs and couldn't. possy. WOW. I took it over to the other to the garage and put in the 70. It's been a long time since this car had has rubber under it. Maybe tomorrow we will move it to the new garage. Working on this in the last week has played a toll on my neck. About 2 1/2 years ago I had 2 discs removed and 2 more is bad. It sucks to get old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_1324.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,305
  • 000_0011.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 1,286
Well we moved the 70 to the other garage after I got home from work. This will be its home for a while. If I have time tomorrow, put it back on the rotisserie. Soon it will be point of no return. Do you guy's think wile this thing is all apart maybe a mini tub? Then farther down relocate the springs. Just a thought, I hope I don't hurt myself thinking. While we are thinking I was going to paint this go mango when I was doing 70 340 4 speed clone. So that is out and I like that yellow but I want a car that no one has. Any Ideas? Time for this old man to go to bed. Goodnight

Attachments

• 0130121736.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,280
  • 0130121736a.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,289
Dustin and myself finished dismantling the convertible. Removed the k-frame and cut spare tire well out. When we flipped it over not much left of the frame. I was thinking of the tork boxes but I'm better off with new. We still had time to get the 70 on the rotisserie. It was such a nice day here 56°. this would be great for the rest of the winter. Ya right

Attachments

• 100_1348.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 100_1343.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 100_1340.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,251
With a lot of head scratching and racking my brain and boy did that hurt............. I decided to remove the frame connectors that I fab and welded in, what a waste, hah. I'm going to install 2x3 x.1875. Open up both frame rails and try to install this into both. Time will tell if it is doable. I think I'm making progress. My goal is to have all these parts in this car by to end of Feb. we will see.
Jim

Don't forget to get the torque boxes out of the convertable donor. I see they are still on it.

I'm going to put after market, they are stronger and new. I don't like welding with old metal. I must be spoiled.........

There is no more cuts to make on this car. A buddy come over last night and wanted the cross member.

Attachments

• last2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,173
  • last.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,170
you should cut the torque boxes out and sell them. worth money, new ones are almost 400.00 all 4 (for the factory correct ones)

I was thinking about it but as rusty as the frame is they mite be junk after I get them out. After flipping this over and seeing the frame I didn't feel so bad cutting this up. If someone is interested in them just let me know and I will remove them and see. I have tried to save any and all parts. Thanks for the interest.
Jim

Hell of a project! Can't wait to see the end. I do like that picture of the yellow one. Made me drool. Good luck!!

I went to buy 2x3x1/4x 6' tubing, Sticker shock............... they wanted $130 for each and that was 3/16 to boot, WOW!!!!! My buddy has a service center, I went to him first, he could get me a stick 24' for $175. I mite have to take a 2nd loan on the wifes ram. Any takers.....

Attachments

• 0525091803.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1,184

I got to play with my favorite tools, sawzall and grinder and removed the frame connectors this weekend. I started cutting into floor to get access to frame rails. I will mock up the new frame connectors today after work. I’m still trying to locate the wheel house cap. I bought some parts from a member and he said that he has one and would send pictures, well no pictures and no parts. I was reading another post about this member and it doesn’t sound good on my part. i well give him benefit of the doubt. Everyone that I have bought parts from on here has been great fokes to deal with, one guy ruins trust in everyone. Well enough babbling, time to get around for work.
Jim

I'm sure most of you knew that I was talking through my BUTT when I said that at the end of February I would have this put back together. This is quite a task just tieing the frames together. I finished cutting the hole in the floorboard. All that I got to cut now is the transmission cross member. I ordered the steel today and it will be here on Thursday. Cut some more spot-welds on some of the brackets, I will let Dustin wire brush them and shoot some paint on them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Well my steel come in today I was surprised!!!!! Got a little work done got the rail cut to fit in the hole. I made 2 cuts to offset it because the frame rails don't line up. I set in place and it seems to fit well. Do I still call this a unibody when I weld this all together? Well it is bed time up at 3:45 to be work at 5, 18 - 20 hour day, I'm thankful that I got a good job.

Attachments

• 100_1355.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 100_1353.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 100_1352.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,100
  • 100_1351.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,056
Jim,

Got the Radiator support today. It looks great. Thanks for helping another vert live.

Steve
68 Cuda Vert
Charleston SC

I didn't want you guys thinking I gave up already. I got 1 frame rail almost welded in, all I got left to do is just weld the floorboards back together then off to passenger side. The front frame is 2 1/8" and the back is 2 1/4" on the bottom and 2 3/8" on top so I welded a 1/4" piece along the side in the rear. The front and rear don't line up so I made 2 cuts to offset the front and rear so I grooved it welded it together and welded a patch or gusset. Here is a picture with my cell, but it's not the best. The first is where I removed the frame connectors. The 2nd is the frame rail.

Jim

Attachments

• 0212121751c.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 0212121751a.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,062
-
Back