Black M Code GTS at Mecum

-
I seen on here, about a year age where someone said they only made automatics. That's not correct as I knew of one that was a 4 speed. 69 Barracuda M code.

That sounds like a similar story to the one my grandpa told me a couple of decades ago. His golfing buddy of 40 years had an uncle with a friend who had a brother that bought a 1976 Plymouth Duster with a 340, new from the dealership in early 1976 when Plymouth was trying to get rid of all the leftover A body parts at the factory since the Volare was coming out. That rare 1976 Duster 340 also left the factory with small bolt pattern KH front disc brakes and a 8 3/4 rear end!!!

Yup, true story.

:rofl:

Since M-codes only came with auto’s, I’d imagine there were people that swapped them for 4 speeds very early in life.

I know of a 70 396 Camaro SS that was dealer swapped out for an 454 LS6 motor 2 months after purchase. Column auto A/C car.

NS1RM23 here bought it from the widow. We couldn’t figure out why it was so original and dated looking but had non numbers swapped motor.

Months after he sells the car, window finds and mails over paperwork with extra keys. Lots of paperwork. Had dated notes of conversations with GM reps prior to purchase. And specifically mentioned the Hot Rod magazine article that suggest the swap with part numbers. Had Invoice from dealer for swap. Even had a expensive corvette AM/FM multiplex radio installed.

Last edited:
Since M-codes only came with auto’s, I’d imagine there were people that swapped the for 4 speeds very early in life.

I know of a 70 396 Camaro SS that was swapped out for an 454 LS6 motor 2 months after purchase. Column auto A/C car.

NS1RM23 here bought it from the widow. We couldn’t figure out why it was so original and dated looking but had non numbers swapped motor.

After he sells the car, window mails over paperwork and extra keys. Lots of paperwork. Had dated notes of conversations with GM reps prior to purchase. And specifically mentioned the Hot Rod magazine article that suggest the swap. Invoice from dealer for swap. Even had a expensive corvette AM/FM multiplex radio installed.
Well this was about 69 or 70 and I didn't ask the owner if it was original but it even still had the factory hub caps on it. I think it would have been all stock.

Well this was about 69 or 70 and I didn't ask the owner if it was original but it even still had the factory hub caps on it. I think it would have been all stock.

Mopar never put a 8 3/4 behind a 440 4-speed car. A-body Dana didn’t exist in 1969 as a new assembly. Also needs a special driveshaft they would not have on the assembly line. And other parts would have to be created and calibrated for 4 speed.

There’s much more involved then one axle assembly for a factory install.

Last edited:
Um I owned many Mopars 4 speeds without the dana 60. As a matter of fact I currently own a 1969 383 4 speed dart and 2 b-bodies 440 4 speeds all with a 8 3/4.

Um I owned many Mopars 4 speeds without the dana 60. As a matter of fact I currently own a 1969 383 4 speed dart and 2 b-bodies 440 4 speeds all with a 8 3/4.
ps they did have a a body dana also.

ps they did have a a body dana also.

no they did not.

Are you thinking of the 68 Hemi Dart/Barracudas? ... they used a B-body Dana and B-body 8 3/4 with large bolt pattern. That’s why those cars have odd looking rear rim to move the tire inward to make up for the wider rear end.

Specifically the 440 motor and 4 speed from factory. The 440 with its power, larger displacement, and stroke has more torque than 383. So the factory installed other parts with it to accommodate that. This is for warranty, safety, and reliability reasons.

Also factory 440 4-speed B, and E bodies got special transmissions with 18 spline input shafts and different stronger gear sets. There are carb changes, leaf springs, etc that go with a 4spd and 440 car.

A lot more to a 4spd car than just the trans.

Last edited:
no they did not.

Are you thinking of the 68 Hemi Dart/Barracudas? ... they used a B-body Dana and B-body 8 3/4 with large bolt pattern. That’s why those cars have odd looking rear rim to move the tire inward to make up for the wider rear end.
I'm sorry I guess I'm just still learning. Just really wanted to know if it was my old black 440 Dart.

I'm sorry I guess I'm just still learning. Just really wanted to know if it was my old black 440 Dart.

No big deal. You are certainly not even the first person. There was a lot not commonly known about M-codes up until 20-25 years ago.

Some of this stuff takes you down a path and makes unexpected turns. And I’ve seen magazine articles from day one then all the way to late 80’s perpetuating misinformation. That doesn’t help the situation.

it’s a learning experience and we are all still learning

And I’ve talked to old technicians that said they replaced 8 3/4’s with Dana’s for warranty on E and B bodies. Might have been after a repeated repair/offender.

-
Back