Black plate 65 Dart!

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
I wanted to share with you guys this 65 dart 270 I just picked up. Orginally purchased from Earl Ike Dodge in Inglewood California on April 3, 1965. The car still has the black plates on it as well as the original dealers license plate frame! The car was last registered in 1994 and has been off the road since then. The previous owner bought the car from the original owner and it was supposed to be a father son project. Well lets just say it didn't get too far along before his son lost interest. Dad had the engine rebuilt, installing a "sports" camshaft, long tube header, and a mopar aluminum two barrel intake manifold. At the same time the transmission was rebuilt. The engine was started, broken in and then sat.

I cannot believe how solid and rust free this thing is! Not one single hole in any sheet metal at all! I went through and found all of the trim for the car that was piled up inside. I found the orginal owners manual still in the glove box and also found the build sheet still under the back seat! Very cool to find all of that stuff.

So I took the carb off and rebuilt it, drained the fuel tank, changed the oil and replaced the fuel pump and she fired up! It has a nice lopey idle, it sounds awesome! My intentions are to do the body work and paint, redo the interior and drive her for a while. We will see what happens after that. Here are just a few pictures of the dart, let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• DSCN0739.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN0734.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN0745.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN0736.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0741.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN0744.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN0743.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 323
Mmmmm, kinda partial to those, nice find.

Attachments

• MoparFest%2009%20004.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 314
I was wondering who bought this car. I almost bought it myself, you pretty much stole it for what you paid for it.

real solid, good luck with it what are the plans? Drag car, restomod?

Congrats....nice find & cool project....please keep us updated on your restoration....!!!!!! 8)

Rickster

I was wondering who bought this car. I almost bought it myself, you pretty much stole it for what you paid for it.
Did you go and look at it in person? I did get a heck of a deal thats for sure.
real solid, good luck with it what are the plans? Drag car, restomod?
I'm gonna do a slight resto mod, keeping the slant six in it for sure. Going to paint it the original color and keep the interior close to original aswell.
Congrats....nice find & cool project....please keep us updated on your restoration....!!!!!! 8)

Rickster
Will do! Now thats it's up running and driving again it will be much more fun :burnout:

Nice find !
It's obvious that whomever the prior owners were , they were Chrysler fans !

I believe that Earl Ike Dodge was on either Florence , or maybe even La Brea / Hawthorne ( CA 107 ) .
I'm siding with Florence , as that was thee premiere shopping district , until the Watts riots ( only a couple of months after this car was purchased ) . There's a number of lots on Florence that appear that they were home to car dealerships at one point . ( I used to make deliveries all-over south Los Angeles , with Inglewood being one of the cities I delivered to daily ) .

What are your plans for those hard-to-find , 1965-issue plates ? Can't very well use 'em in Arizona ! Send 'em home :angel4: .

CA cars are great! Mine came from Stockton Motors, they went out of business a few years back.
ebaygrille12-22-02.jpg

Nice find !
It's obvious that whomever the prior owners were , they were Chrysler fans !

I believe that Earl Ike Dodge was on either Florence , or maybe even La Brea / Hawthorne ( CA 107 ) .
I'm siding with Florence , as that was thee premiere shopping district , until the Watts riots ( only a couple of months after this car was purchased ) . There's a number of lots on Florence that appear that they were home to car dealerships at one point . ( I used to make deliveries all-over south Los Angeles , with Inglewood being one of the cities I delivered to daily ) .

What are your plans for those hard-to-find , 1965-issue plates ? Can't very well use 'em in Arizona ! Send 'em home :angel4: .
Any info you can find would be greatly appreciated! I was thinking about putting the plates on ebay actually. What do you think they are really worth?
well have to get together on that slant! pm me with the specs on it!
Will do!

Any info you can find would be greatly appreciated! I was thinking about putting the plates on ebay actually. What do you think they are really worth?

I've started a thread about Earl Ike Dodge :

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=136187

Looks like I should've stuck with my initial hunch about it being on La Brea 8-[.

As far as listing those plates on eBay : why not put 'em up for sale ( or trade , whichever you prefer ) on this forum ? I'm sure there are a few fellow forum members whom have a c.1965 Dart , Valiant , Barracuda , etc. , etc. , that live in California , and would LOVE to have vintage plates on their ride in order to replace those butt ugly new(er) white plates :pukel:

keep the plates, later down the road u may wanna prove its an orignal black plate cali car,,,my 2 cents,,,,also nice find, wish i was that lucky

Kick *** car! Same color as my '65 Sport Satellite... I like it even better on your Dart though... and the motor is already done, lucky dog... keep us posted :)

I just noticed in the pic where your orange box is located, you may want to move that especially if you will sit in traffic regularly with the car... The heat may get to her... maybe someone who has one located there can share, I could be wrong.

keep the plates, later down the road u may wanna prove its an orignal black plate cali car,,,my 2 cents,,,,also nice find, wish i was that lucky

I totally agree, would not sell the plates. You've got great history documented with the car an pretty amazing it is wearing it's original plates 46 years later!! All lost for a few bucks on Ebay...

Great score and best of luck with it.

-
Back