Blacked out, flat black, "murdered out" Lets talk FLAT BLACK!!

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I have ordered 2 gallons of "Hot Rod Black" acrylic laquer primer.

I drive the Dart Lite a lot! I have driven it every day for the past 2 weeks. I will enjoy it this winter too (provided I can get the accelerator pump rod and choke hooked up).

I am going to flat black it out. The primary reason is protection. Right now, every morning there is a layer of dew sitting on all horizontal surfaces of the car. The roof, hood, and trunk are showing the most fade because of this. This will also allow me to fix certain areas, and re-prime for protection and appearance.

I am going to DA the entire car, pull window trim, pull tail lights, and bumpers, etc. This will be a quality prime job to protect the car through the winter.

I have seen some flat black cars here, pictures floating around from time to time.

Let's see your flat blacked out A bodies!

laquer and protection typically dont go hand and hand

why not just get a typical urethane primer and just spray that, its all flat color when its dry anyways, or better go epoxy, then when you wanna start doing body work or whatnot, just scuff it up and you can lay filler right over top of it

I do like the look on alot of cars... kinda like the almost finished look, pretty popular in the up and coming car thing but i wouldnt just shoot primer or anything. the best way i have seen to do this is the new hot rod flatz paint.
dull primer like finish with protection that will last a few years as apposed to primer which will last months or unprotected laquer...
what year and model is your car? i rattle can primered a 65 dart and
a dodge 54 pickup just to sell em quick and i have a few pictures..

DSC02457.jpg

65 dart.jpg

I just got done spraying a couple parts in the hot rod flat black. It sprays nice, just make sure your air compressor can keep up with the gun. I put 2 coats on my hood, nose piece, engine compartment and hood scoop and it took me almost 1/2 gallon. Just becareful to take your time and try not to run or sag it as their is no fixing the paint once its down. You have to sand the panel and redo it. No cutting and buffing with the paint either.

I know it is not the best primer for protection, it is better then the exposed metal I have now. It should get me through the winter, and then I will try to repaint this spring.

I wanted the flat black rat rod look for my 63 Dart. I used Caterpillar's semi-gloss black enamel with an overcoat of Rustoleum's fine textured flat black.It gave me the primer texture I wanted and also sealed everything so I don't have the moisture absorbing problem you get with primer. Whole paint job ran about 200 bucks. Mike

P15.JPG

most of your acrylic lacquer primer is like a sponge... you will need to sand it all off after driving it over the winter... I made the mistake of driving my 1st car around in primer... then sanded it smooth and painted it. The primer had absorbed road grime, which filled in the pores with oil, and made it non-stick.... the paint went on fine but, once I got a little chip, it peeled off in large sheets.... the primer looked great underneath though!

most of your acrylic lacquer primer is like a sponge...
iirc, acrylic lacquer primer will also absorb water- it won't really protect what would otherwise be exposed metal from rust if it's exposed to the elements for an extended period of time.

(I could be wrong- that's just what I heard many years ago)

-
Back