Blacked-out grille?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I've always thought the '70 Duster grille was kind of... I don't know... nerdy? Cheesy? I just don't think it looks right on a car like the Duster; it only looks okay on Valiants. So, I was wondering, do you guys think it would be a good idea if I blacked-out the grill myself? Specifically the part around the grille itself that is the matte silver/metallic gray finish. I still have a bunch of leftover multi-purpose spray paint that I used for my air cleaner and wheels.
Would that work okay? And would it be hard to revert it back to the stock finish if I changed my mind? Thanks for your time guys...

theyre not that bad, but if you absolutly hate it and want a stock look then find a shark tooth grill, that would look even better than a black out stock grill

Ugh, I like the shark-tooth grilles even less. Just visualizing a Charger-style blacked-out recessed grille makes me think that it would look really good on a car like this. When I look at pictures of my Duster on the computer and turn the brightness way down, the grille gets really dark (duh) and sinister looking and it makes the rest of the car look a lot better.

Ugh, I like the shark-tooth grilles even less. Just visualizing a Charger-style blacked-out recessed grille makes me think that it would look really good on a car like this. When I look at pictures of my Duster on the computer and turn the brightness way down, the grille gets really dark (duh) and sinister looking and it makes the rest of the car look a lot better.

you dont like the shark tooth grill? whats wrong with you lol. My duster is a 74 so i cant bolt up a shark tooth grill too it, but if i could i would. I guess im just not crazy about a black out grill, it just looks like somthing someone would do to save money like on a drag car, (just like painting bumpers body color instead of rechroming) but if thats what you like then go for it, thats what counts. good luck

A member here has a Valiant Signet grill on his Duster and I think that looks way cool. Especially all polished up. Someday I will put one on mine... not like the sharktooth? I don't like the 700$ repops we all see advertised in our favorite Mopar magazines

Yeah, a '69 Valiant grille would look great. Arguably the best looking grille from it's 17 model year run. They are hard to find, though, and are usually bent up. The center rocket used on the Signets is the icing on the cake!

I wouldnt black it out. The Plymouth rocket breaks the grille up nicely and shooting the grille black just looks bad, IMO. Something a high school kid would do to 'customize' it.

I tried a blacked-out 69 Valiant grill on my 71 duster and it did not look good.

However I have F/B bumpers painted to match the car - the back grill might look better with a vhrome bumper below it.

I repainted the sharstooth grille metallic silver and it looks great!

P1070209.JPG

P1010005.jpg

I tried a blacked-out 69 Valiant grill on my 71 duster and it did not look good.

However I have F/B bumpers painted to match the car - the back grill might look better with a vhrome bumper below it.

I repainted the sharstooth grille metallic silver and it looks great!

exaclty ^ the sharktooth looks cool, speaking of 69 valiant grills, how much do decent, not junk, but not show quality, grills go for?

I've thought of the '69 Valiant grille but they're too hard to find. I would really like to see a picture or something of a '70 grille that has had the outer gray/silver area blacked out. I don't think it would look cheesy or bad, but I'm having a tough time visualizing it in my head.

exaclty ^ the sharktooth looks cool, speaking of 69 valiant grills, how much do decent, not junk, but not show quality, grills go for?

I had one for sale on ebay for $250, but here we no takers. I'll hang onto it until I can sell it for that amount. Headlight bezels not included (they're the same as a 71 duster) and not hard to find.

jeff

P1060204.jpg

Sorry dudes, while the blacked out grill treatment may be fine for some, I do love that grill just that way it was. Ethier way, it is your car and you should do it up as you feel fit.

I had one for sale on ebay for $250, but here we no takers. I'll hang onto it until I can sell it for that amount. Headlight bezels not included (they're the same as a 71 duster) and not hard to find.

jeff

hmm, i think im gona buy one, a guy has one for sale that he offered me for a very good price and they seem to be getting harder to find. I always like to have spare stuff lying around even if i dont need it

hmm, i think im gona buy one, a guy has one for sale that he offered me for a very good price and they seem to be getting harder to find. I always like to have spare stuff lying around even if i dont need it

I've got a lot of "spare stuff" you're more than welcome to come take off my hands!!! LOL

I didn't really black out the grille, more like detailed it. I used a satin black and it really cleaned up nice. I do get a lot of compliments on the grille.

Duster Front View.jpg

I am going with a black grill, i need something to break up the orange and complement the other pieces. the plymouth sign will still be chrome. This is just a photo shopped picture but is a really good estimate of whats to come...

73DusterComplete-v1.jpg

you got that right!

HE he he he, That-A boy! I say GOD bless the resto guys, cause if I get my hands on it, it ain't never going back to OE. Well, fat chance anyway. He he he. It's just the way I am. Mod it, change it, make it different.

Screw the cookie cutter ways. OR just go get a chevy if you like the cookie cutter.

7DUSTER3. (Whistles) Nice ride Bro.

19duster74 Now thats a blacked out grill I just very well might go and copy! That looks reallly good.

70 was black from the factory, At least 340 cars were. 71 was sliver/black

IM000752.jpg

72 was also silver and black but reversed from 71.

Whoa, that's cool! I think what I'll try is cut out some black construction paper in the shape of the parts of the grille that I want to black out and stick it on to see how it might look.

I've always thought the '70 Duster grille was kind of... I don't know... nerdy? Cheesy? I just don't think it looks right on a car like the Duster; it only looks okay on Valiants. So, I was wondering, do you guys think it would be a good idea if I blacked-out the grill myself? Specifically the part around the grille itself that is the matte silver/metallic gray finish. I still have a bunch of leftover multi-purpose spray paint that I used for my air cleaner and wheels.
Would that work okay? And would it be hard to revert it back to the stock finish if I changed my mind? Thanks for your time guys...

I really think it's a preference thing... but, to me, some colors look better than others with a blacked-out grill. Lighter colors more so than darker ones.

Jerry

mycar at drag.jpg

I like it blacked out but it depends on the car and stripe combo... you need a light colored car and a black stripe helps... just my opinion, but maybe I'm bias...

-
Back