Blew it up... GRRRRR!!!!!

-
I cheated and bought one from comp. the new ones are sweet they are marked so you don't even have to use calipers. by the way I know you dig the home made tools, check out the spring compressor i came up with in the home made tools forum. its cool the stuff you come up with when your broke! :cheers:

Right on! I'll check it out....

Dammit John!!! I thought the Mistress was finally minding her manners. Sorry to hear about this additional chapter to the epic Mistress saga.

Hope you get her worked out and back to terrorizing unsuspecting Prius dweebs.

Yeah, it's just another chapter in my epic adventure with this car. I'm fed up with the valve train in this car. I had originally set it up with Crane rollers that gave me grief as far as contact with the valve stem. I went with the stockers as a "temporary" solution. I have *maybe* 300 miles on the car and I punched out 2 more. Granted, they were used, but like Mark pointed out, it's unlikely it was time for them to go.....but everything appeared to be lubricated. No apparent galling or scorching.

<sigh....> I'll price out my options and pray my Wife doesn't go thermo-nuclear over todays capers. I'm going to bed......

Did you ever fix the issues with the valve stems? I recall you having issues. But not the solution. If you had poor geometry, which on shaft mount rockers is almost always an issue with the valve job, you have the same poor geometry. The bad harmonics they cause are still there and that's why you're punching holes in the rockers.

John, if you need some parts, call me. I have "Stuff" layin around.

Well, maybe not totally blown up, but I shoved 2 pushrods through the rocker arms this afternoon. Cylinder #1.... I'll probably pull the intake to make sure there's no further damage to the lifters. I punctured #1 cylinder exhaust rocker when I first got her running. I wonder why cylinder # 1 again... I installed used rockers and am planning to buy a set of new ones, but why? I hope there's nothing wrong with the lifters or the bore in the block.....

And here's the kick in the ***. About 15 minutes before this happened a young lady in, of all things... a Prius snarls at me while at a red light. I politely thanked her for saving some gas for me and lit `em up on the green. A few miles later I'm running on 7 cylinders.....

Sorry to hear it man,but hey you gotta do what you GOTTA do
To keep these eco green loving prius drivers in there PLACE.
:cheers:

Just for everyones information,i have bone STOCK rocker gear in
my 318 behind a 474. lift cam an ive never had a problem with it since ownership which is 6 years now. I probably just jinxed myself:munky2:

Damn John, that sucks. I just had a similar experience. 3KRPM on the highway and soon heard a large "toc toc toc". Sheared a rocker arm bolt ><

DSCN4058.jpg

DSCN4060.jpg

Did you ever fix the issues with the valve stems? I recall you having issues. But not the solution. If you had poor geometry, which on shaft mount rockers is almost always an issue with the valve job, you have the same poor geometry. The bad harmonics they cause are still there and that's why you're punching holes in the rockers.

I had issues with the Crane Gold Roller Rockers. They were rolling out to the edge of the valve stem. I swapped in the stock rockers & pushrods and all was well.... until I punched a hole in #1 cylinder exhaust rocker a few months ago. Yesterday I punched out BOTH rockers on cylinder #1. All the previously installed stock rockers were used pieces.... I'm suspecting an oil presuure issue now. I think when I installed the TTI's I might have pushed against the oil pan sump and bent the pick up either away, or cracked it, and now I have a suction-leak when it's hot.... Either way, it looks like she's off the road for now. I'm in the process of selling the house where I store the car and can't afford (money & time) to tear it apart now. After we sell the house and move I'll worry about this F`in car..... For now I'll probably stick 2 more stock rockers in there so I can move it around and fix it later. The block is un-decked, the heads are new Edelbrocks, and all the lifters and the cam is new. <sigh....>

John, if you need some parts, call me. I have "Stuff" layin around.

Ya got 2 stock rockers?

So out of morbid curiousity... did you have the Edelbrock's corrected before you ran them, or just bolted on? And, did you check the sweep with the stamped rockers too, or they have a larger wear surface so they were'nt quite so much "on the edge?"

So out of morbid curiousity... did you have the Edelbrock's corrected before you ran them, or just bolted on?

Ok, this is news to me. What do I have to do to "correct" my new Edelbrock heads?
Everyone else just bolts the damn things on....

Ya got 2 stock rockers?
[/QUOTE]

I do. I'll toat them along with me to your house on the trip day. OR sooner?

Ok, this is news to me. What do I have to do to "correct" my new Edelbrock heads?

A lot of the time, they're either not square, or have burrs, or need the valve seats gone through. I was dead-set on them at first for my Magnum, but heard they need machining. For that much plus machining, I could buy two sets of iron heads (Magnum engine)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Edelbrock heads are known to have tight valve guide to valve stem clearances. They really should be checked and corrected before installing. Also a good idea to have the valve job gone over too.

Actually, if the heads are bought from a shop that knows what they're doing, they will never be installed "OOTB". Usually, the guides are too tight, and the mass production on the seats means some heads are perfect but most are not in terms of concentricity and SEAT DEPTH. The seat depth is the valve job, and that is what determines the geometry on a shaft rocekr system. Roller rockers, with their smaller contact patch will show issues before stock stuff. I'm not saying this is THE reason for your issues, but if there was a problem with one rocker design on a shaft type system, theres a very strong chance there is a problem with all of them. Other issues Ive seen personally are deck surfaces too rough for MLS gaskets (Edelbrock says they are smooth enough... but they dont always test that way), missing valve seals, and once a spring with no dampner. Correcting these issues costs me up to $400, but IMO it's well worth it.

This has to be the best reason I've heard so far. And I'll tell you why.....

Last night I replaced the two offending rockers and pushrods with another pair of used pieces so I could check the oil pressure. I removed the oil sending unit and screwed in a brand new Snap On oil presuure gauge I have. As I was torqueing down the rocker shafts I heard a distinct "snap" sound, as if a valve was sticking.... on both sides. Never noticed this when I assembled it the first time. Upon start-up the oil pressure was 50 lbs. at idle cold, 20 hot.... with no noises. I was also driving her hard this past weekend.

Me thinks I keep the revs down and plan on opening her up again.... Thanks for some solid advice Moper. As much as I don't want to do a valve job on new heads, I think this is the most viable explaination.

It never ends....

It's hard, but keep the faith Man... PC guys call this "debugging code"...lol

I'm trying.... I'm trying.... 8)

I'll get this car sorted out one of these days. Thanks again for some good advice!

BTW: I forgot to mention this.... both pushrods were slightly bent. That's why I'm inclined to agree with Moper.

Great advice I don't want to do.... but it has to be done. Thanks again!

Dave @ BGS ? I might do that... this winter.

-
Back