block filler

-

phil

Reaction score
Have any of you guys here driven your race/street car on the street with a filled block? If so did you have to add any type of oil cooler or have any overheating problems?

drive my 340 all around town in the summermonths with no watertemp problems at all! cant tell about the oiltemp since i dont have anything to measure with but the last teardown a few years back did not show any signs of oil running to hot, this 340 is filled to about 1½" from the deck, i would not recomend this to anyone but it has worked fine for me

I use the guide of no more than 1/2 fill, and it makes running an oil cooler mandatory. Why do you need to fill it if you don't mind me asking?

Yes why would you need to do this. Have never had any problems cracking any mopar block

The block was already filled when i bought the car and i want to convert it to prostreet/race.

Deanster: "Fill" is a concrete-like substance marketed as a cylinder stabilizer kind-a-thing. It's a powder mixed w/ water and poured into the water jackets to assist in keeping the cylinders round under duress. It's to help maintain cylinder pressure. I can't think of the brand names used. W/ a block on a stand, one cyl. bank is leveled while it's poured in. After it sets, the other cyl. bank is leveled and process is repeated. Streetability depends on how high the jacket is filled and I guess, a bunch of other factors. In a race block, we used to fill them to the freeze plug level. I believe the block must be honed, if not bored and honed, afterwards. (Because the stuff will move the bore around. ) I don't remember the specifics.
Years ago, I read that Bob Glidden built his engines on the floor because he thought the stress from hanging on an engine stand would distort the bores. This was before "fill". (As far as I know.) I'd love to talk w/ him about engines and performance theories. What about the stress of a drag launch w/a solid mounted engine? Seems those cylinders would be moving around some. I raced a bit of stock eliminator, and these were the kinds of things my partner and I would talk about. How much beer we drank affected what we remembered!

Phil, A lot depends on the level of the fill, and how well it was done. It's farily common to do it for strength when you have to use a stock block, but if it's for the street, extra care should be taken to get ALL the air bubbles out to prevent hot spots. Is it a complete fill, or 1/2? Oil is as much a coolant as the water jackets...

I was told it is filled to the freeze plugs. Also if it matters this is a 440 i have. Thanks

It is filled to the freeze plugs. And it is a 440 i have if that matters. Thanks

Fill is more commonly used in blower motors. I have a good friend with two blower cars and he says it is manditory. I keep trying to get him to run a mopar in one of his diggers if he wants to go fast and watch everyone else work on their cars.

That would be a "short fill". Maybe less than half depending. Witht he structure of an RB, I'd say an oil cooler should be used, but you should not have issues with it if it's not past the plugs. Honestly, I'm not sure why they would do it tho... It doesnt help with main issues, and that low won't help the cylinder walls much either.

got friends who run their block 1/2 way and drive on the street and runs 9's in the 1/4

-
Back