block identification concern

-
Hallo Everybody,

I found nice engine, but seller is not willing to take any more photo to identify it properly. Can anybody help me if this is 400 block based on photos below ?

Thanks in advance,
M.

View attachment 1715212726

View attachment 1715212727

View attachment 1715212728

View attachment 1715212729

View attachment 1715212730

View attachment 1715212731

View attachment 1715212732

View attachment 1715212733

View attachment 1715212734

View attachment 1715212735
If it’s cracked on the outside, I would bet money the lifter valley is probably shattered out. Some HD engines also had large bell housing bolt pattern for large SAE Eaton Roadranger transmission. Never buy one of these without looking at it firsthand in person...

Looks like a late model (1976) industrial 413. I wouldn't mess with it even if it was free but that doesn't mean you couldn't make a good engine out of it. You would probably end up throwing everything but the block into the recycle box. Maybe keep some of the sheet metal and maybe keep the crank. So if you are going to buy it you shouldn't pay more than $150 or $200 since all you are buying is a used 413 block. A 440 block for $500 is a much better deal than a 413 block for $150 plus the whole day it will take you to tear that apart and haul the pieces to the recycle yard.

So what is the difference between an "industrial 413" and the 413s from the early 60s MOPARS except for the carbs/intake and maybe the cam?

If it’s cracked on the outside, I would bet money the lifter valley is probably shattered out. Some HD engines also had large bell housing bolt pattern for large SAE Eaton Roadranger transmission. Never buy one of these without looking at it firsthand in person...
Or rather SAE large pattern semi type bellhousing pattern, rear block flange one inch longer than pass car/light truck type with a longer eight bolt crank to match. A lot of people have bought these cranks falsely marketed as an eight bolt hemi crank... as with all things, if there is a nickel or dime in it, there is crookedness right around the nearest corner!

that has ind heads , and it looks like the late ind 440 block like mine pic'd here for you . if it is wahat mine is . its a great buy , you can bore them out to a max of 4.5 . very thick cylinder walls .

DSC00729.JPG

DSC00728.JPG

The main problem with 413 's is that pistons are hard to come by . If the crank/cam drive is gear driven it is a reverse rotation motor . You CANNOT make it standard rotation because of the serretions on the rear main seal . The block is a really good piece , though . I'd gab it for cheap but otherwise it's a boat mooring .

I wouldn't buy that if it was local....nothing usable but the block, and it sure looks busted and cracked in various pictures

-
Back