Blocked A/C?

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
I just got a '70 valiant, and checked out my A/C unit the clutch and everything is stil running, but when I charge the system, It says it's already full, but yet I don't see any coolant in the lil viewfinder window. How do I check for blocks?

The sight glass should be running clear if the system is fully charged. If you are not getting cooling then you need to start with pressure tests to determine if you have a good compressor or system failure. If the expansion valve is bad you can have good charge and no to low cool. You can also have plugged filter/dryer as additional culprit. These are the most likley spots although a plugged condensor, evaporator, or internally collapsed hoses are also possible.

ok, so how do I do find out which is the culprit? I've never played with anything A/C.

That is what I have an A/C shop that I trust to take my cars to. I do not have the gauges to measure pressure on the high and low side, which will tell you if the compressor is working, and that along with line temperatures and more training than I have, will help narrow down where the problem is. My '97 FDakota had a plugged orifice that I managed to diagnose because I had good pressure drop across the compressor, low suction pressure and the line coming out of the evaporator while cool was not cold, hence low overall flow. But that was an easy one. Usually if the dryer is plugged you have extremely low suction pressure and low discharge pressure because the compressor has nothing to work with. If you have no pressure difference across the compressor then there internal problems with the compressor. Requires gauge set and some understanding of the system and you can eliminate parts of the system. It is also possible to overcharge a system to the point that it loses it's effectiveness...you have to have the pressure difference across the expansion valve or there is no cool.

-
Back