blower motor = too much draw?

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
OK...if I have the blower running w/ lights on it runs at discharge, the left blinker function eratically, but doesn't work w/ blower on.

lights on, no blower - charges

how do I test the draw of the blower motor?

what are my options if it draws too much?

Wouldn't it blow the fuse if it was drawing too much? Maybe your alternator or regulator is going.

Standard operating practice for the older single field charging system. Whats your idle speed? Raise it slightly and the problem will probably go away....or change to the newer dual-field alternator system. The new ones put out more current at idle to solve this problem.

You have a multimeter with an ammeter function? Just turn on the blower to full blast, and remove the fuse. CAREFULLY clip to the fuse terminals and hook the meter to the two fuse clips. Turn on the key, long enough to read amp draw

If the blower sounds OK at high speed, does not blow fuses, and seems to be blowing a good amount of air, my guess is that it is OK

So far as the alternator PLEASE remember that alternators do not just simply "work" or "not."

They can work fine

They can be several different amperage ratings, from 35 or so to 60-65, depending on age, and "who rebuilt" it

They can have problems such as a partially shorted field, or

One or more open or shorted diodes,

or a problem with the stator windings,

any problem l of which can quickly turn a 60 A. unit into a 20A unit.

WHAT THIS MEANS IS you could have some problem with the alternator, or not,

or it could be the pulleys (have been changed?) so the unit is not turning enough RPM at low engine speeds, or ?? could the belt be slipping?

Also check for voltage drop in heater motor circuit.

Well this gives me alot to check - do regulators "work" or "not work" like alternators?

Well this gives me alot to check - do regulators "work" or "not work" like alternators?

Usually, the newer solid state ones either work or not, but the older "points type" (original type 69/ earlier) can produce too much or too little voltage.

OF course either type MUST be at the same voltage as the battery negative (ground)

And the "sense terminal" (ign) must be the same as battery.

Do you have mechanical points type, or electronic voltage regulator?
Some mechanical regulators can be adjusted to provide more or less charge. It is a bit of a PIA, and temperature plays a part in the adjustment…

Electronic regulators are preset, so it comes down to if it works or not. That said, other contributing factors enter into how well a good regulator will regulate based on the voltage it is reading in the electrical system. If it is seeing high voltage, doubtful, but possible, it will throttle down the alternator’s current out-put.

If regulator sees low voltage, a more common problem caused by poor connections, switches, and bad wiring, the regulator will step up the current flow based on faulty information.

Do headlights go bright than dim when car is idling in gear, and other electrical loads are present such as heater motor on high, wipers on, air conditioning running, electric radiator cooling fan, or big high power sound system cranked up?

I think that your alternator may have trouble keeping up at low rpm. As suggested previously, bump up idle speed 50 to 100 rpm and see if the problem goes away. This may or may not be a proper fix.

One thing you can do is remove the alternator, take it some place for testing, which should determine any deficiencies.

On the other side of the coin, the harness feeding the motor may have developed a voltage drop, and or motor has dragging bearings. Or, you have too many high draw electrical devices that are not stock loads competing with the heater fan.

OK...if I have the blower running w/ lights on it runs at discharge, the left blinker function eratically, but doesn't work w/ blower on.

lights on, no blower - charges

how do I test the draw of the blower motor?

what are my options if it draws too much?
I can almost guarantee you that your 40+ year old fan motor is drawing too much juice. They did when they were new! It's best to run the motor through a relay to take the strain off the bulkhead connector and all the wiring and switches under the dash. Have the charging system tested to make sure it's putting out what it should and go from there.

-
Back