Blower noise..?

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't used, listened to or been exposed to a 52 year old heater in 30 years...I'm use to the modern cars and the climate control, whisper quiet heaters, etc.. The reason I ask is, in my non running project I have everything back together in the interior after it was all torn out and while checking the wiring I turned my heater on and the blower seems to make a "noise" on low and gets faster when turned on high.. Kind of like a clicking noise.. Hard to describe exactly what I'm hearing..to the point of wondering if it's normal, 50 year old tech, or if there's an issue. Maybe I can post a quick video /sound bite of what I'm talking about..
I will say it almost sounds like something that if you tapped on it with a rubber mallet it would "fix" it... If that makes sense...
72 Demon non A.C
New video by Jo69 Ha69

Last edited:
Should be quiet. Sounds like your fan is making contact with the housing- it doesn't take much to tweak the squirrel cage out of round or off center, they're very light aluminum.
1710444415741.png

My fan makes noise that sounds like bearings. At low speed it is quiet at high it is noticeable while driving

NOTE:THIS IS NOT THE OPs BLOWER MOTOR SOUND

The video follows this pattern:
switch is off then moved to low, then to high, then back to low, then off.

This is a 2 speed blower, in a heater only, 67 Dart, original motor with 324,000 miles

New video by Dana Nance

Last edited:
I had one Oak Leaf in the squirrel cage and it was making a clicking sound as it rotated

My fan makes noise that sounds like bearings. At low speed it is quiet at high it is noticeable while driving

NOTE:THIS IS NOT THE OPs BLOWER MOTOR SOUND

The video follows this pattern:
switch is off then moved to low, then to high, then back to low, then off.

This is a 2 speed blower, in a heater only, 67 Dart, original motor with 324,000 miles

New video by Dana Nance
Actually, fairly similar to what I'm hearing...only maybe more "uniform"..

Remove the four/nut firewall retaining plate. Turn on the motor. Grab the motor by hand and twist in different directions. Does it change the sound?

These old girls it is very common to get leaves and junk in them, and unfortunately the box has to come apart to clean it out.

I did this with mine, and it’s not too bad.
I lubed the end of the blower shaft while it was out and also drilled a tiny hole in the back of the blower motor so I can put a few drops of oil in that rear bushing with a syringe.
Smooth and quiet.

No, he should rebuild the heater box, it's 50 + years old, who knows what may be in there, from mouse nests to a tootsie roll wrapper. Order a kit from DMT.

Should be quiet. Sounds like your fan is making contact with the housing- it doesn't take much to tweak the squirrel cage out of round or off center, they're very light aluminum.
View attachment 1716221441

No, he should rebuild the heater box, it's 50 + years old, who knows what may be in there, from mouse nests to a tootsie roll wrapper. Order a kit from DMT.
I did refurbish it... Got out a ton of leaves and other debris.. Guess I should have serviced the blower motor at that time, but figured it'd be good.

-
Back