Blower not working

-

Sasalmond

Reaction score
New to the boards, i have a 73 dart custom slant 6 that i got about 6 months ago from a friend in a straight trade for my 89 civic. The car is all original and documented from when his grandma bought it new. For some reason my ac/heat blower will not work. I dug into it back when winter hit and i unplugged the fan speed switch and plugged it back in and it did start working as normal but my turn signals quit. Today i messed with it some more and got the turn signals to come back but now the blower went out again. I am assuming there must be something tied together but i have no clue were to even begin. Any help would be great i would love to get the ac up before the really hot weather hits.

First question, "do you have" a factory service manual, and or wiring diagram?

You can download them here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

More manuals and more info here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Also from MyMopar, you can download non-Mopar wiring diagrams, that are simplified, and don't always show all the connectors, BUT are sometimes easier to follow

Determine which fuse gives you power. Measure BOTH sides of the fuse clip with the blower switch ON see if you have power there. It "seems to be popular" on the AC equipped cars for the blower switch itself to give trouble.

Thanks for the reply, i do have the fsm and began testing the fuses. I was leaning twards the switch because it is very crunchy and i have been looking for a replacment. I was not aware the switch itself could affect the radio and turn signals that way but it is worth a shot and it is obviously in need of replacment anyway.

Actually the two cannot affect each other because of the switch. You'd have to look up circuit routing. Ma was BAD about using "unrelated" connectors for junction points. The other thing that might be happening is "coincidence" that is, you are wiggling yet another bad connection somewhere, causing the "other problem"

Let's see where the turn signal power goes / comes from..............

On page 8-152, find in the index the turn flasher, at A-19, and go there

Follow wire D1-18BK off the right of the page, through the next page, 8-159, and down the page on 8-160, to where it junctions at CE2(B) with wire B1-18W

this point is right at the bulkhead disconnect.

Now follow wire B1-18W off and through the bottom of the next page.......

and through 8-162....

and then up the page 8-163, where you can see it junctions with the RADIO connector......

and on up the page........

and off the left on wire X12-14R

follow that into the right side of page 8-162, and you can see that this junctions with the BLOWER SWITCH and then goes on down to the FUSE PANEL!!!!

Yet another thing you can do is refer to page 8-114 or therabouts which gives you a list of what fuses supply what

Some of this gets confusing between heat / AC. It might be a bit more clear if you refer somewhat to the 72 book. This could very well be WRONG as per changes made in 73, but the thing is, the 72 book has the "old way" of drawing the diagrams. In this case, the AC wiring is in the heating / AC section and not the electrical (section 8) I only mention this because sometimes, "it's easier to follow" than the new style diagrams

Below is the 72 diagram, from page 24-52. Again, don't go by this literally, use it as a guide to help visualize

Attachments

• 72AC.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 126
Classic Industries has the HVAC control switches sometimes; they are in their catalog. Not the cheapest source for parts but it IS a source.

In my older cars, I added a relay that is actuated by the "blower high" switch output. That keeps the L-M-H switch and the push-button elec/vac switch from melting. The other positions have a series resistor which limits the current. For those who don't do this mod are wise to limit use of the "blower high" setting, or things will likely melt. Not a Mopar thing. Most owners of my 1980's M-B 300D's have a melted #8 fuse-holder, which powers the blower relay box.

this car have a aftermarket radio installed ? It's kind of common to find the cut to splice, twist and tape, methods of shade tree radio installers caused the faults.
Flasher module for turn signals is attached to right side of ashtray hanger so disturbing the signal circuit at radio / climate controller area can happen.

no everything is original on the car and working. I am off work again for the week so i can dig a little more into it and see if it is just a coincidence that they keep alternating back and forth.

-
Back