Blown Slant Six Dyno Test

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I knew that Steve Dulcich had built a slant and was going to dyno run it, but I had never seen any results.
Well that short show was on today so I watched and stole a couple images.
Sorry if this old news, but it was news to me.

Steve built an, unknown size to me, 225 with flat top cast pistons, stock rods and stock cast crank.
Mild cam, Offy intake and clifford shorties were used from what I could see on TV.
The block was decked and the head shaved for 10 or 10.5 to one.
They used race fuel and around 30 degrees total on the first pulls, no blower.
Second pull was Torqstorm blower with a 750 Holley, 24 degrees total.
Third pull was a smaller pully on the blower.
Head gasket blew out on number 5 cylinder on last pull.
Not much love by Frieburger or the dyno operator.
Sorry I didn't catch anymore details.
MT Slant Dyno Test (1).jpeg
MT Slant Dyno Test (2).jpeg
MT Slant Dyno Test (3).jpeg
MT Slant Dyno Test (4).jpeg

340 power with more torque..sounds like a winner! Use a Cometic I guess......

They used some bullshitty cheapass head gasket and KNEW it when it went together. I just don't get it.

The belt kept slipping I think that's the main problem with that kit.
Really? As far as that belt wraps around the blower pulley? I guess the only other fix is a wider or cogged belt.

Yeah that gasket was either the Victor, like Justin said or it was the old Fel Pro Print O Seal, which are still around. I have a few. Certainly not good enough for 10.5 and 10 PSI. Maybe they wanted that as the weak spot and not something more expensive. Didn't it have cast pistons in it too?
Sure did. I see Steve 2 or 3 times a year in passing at different events. I’ll ask a few questions next time I run in to him.

Sure did. I see Steve 2 or 3 times a year in passing at different events. I’ll ask a few questions next time I run in to him.
I don't know squat about dynos and such, but in my humble opinion, they would have done better building a more purpose built blown engine from the start. Maybe they were trying to show the difference in a hot N/A street build and a blown engine. They succeeded at that. But I honestly don't think anyone would build a slant 6 for the street that required race gas. I give it to um. It made the power.

I don't know how much money this guy has into it, but he has a Duster that he bought brand new, I think, with the /6 in it still (72?) with a supercharger etc. & runs in the 10s. It's on You Tube (check it out) & was in Mopar Action a few years back. It's gold w/black stripes. It's not a race car either & I'm pretty sure it's street legal. When I see stuff like this, I like /6s even more. The one Dulcich built, although kind of using some questionable parts, was still pretty impressive. I watched that episode of Engine Masters AGAIN last night too.

He has a good amount in it. But anyone is going to have a chunk in a 10 sec car.
Steve Nitto. He uses a pro charger.
SCN_0373.jpg

I don't know how much money this guy has into it, but he has a Duster that he bought brand new, I think, with the /6 in it still (72?) with a supercharger etc. & runs in the 10s. It's on You Tube (check it out) & was in Mopar Action a few years back. It's gold w/black stripes. It's not a race car either & I'm pretty sure it's street legal. When I see stuff like this, I like /6s even more. The one Dulcich built, although kind of using some questionable parts, was still pretty impressive. I watched that episode of Engine Masters AGAIN last night too.
Steve Nitti..... & yes, purpose-built for boost.

I think they mentioned the goal was to see if they could make same HP as a 69 383 car, what 35 hp which they did with that $2800 air.
Steve mentioned he finished the build late one night with whatver had gasket was laying around. Typically in RoadKill half assed fashion.
I figure the guys would up with the TorqStorm piece free and another engine to screw with on another episode and Steve got his pay check and Freeburger got to ridicule the slant!:lol:

I think they mentioned the goal was to see if they could make same HP as a 69 383 car, what 35 hp which they did with that $2800 air.
Steve mentioned he finished the build late one night with whatver had gasket was laying around. Typically in RoadKill half assed fashion.
I figure the guys would up with the TorqStorm piece free and another engine to screw with on another episode and Steve got his pay check and Freeburger got to ridicule the slant!:lol:

$2800 air
and how much in machining and other parts?

you know where this is going, right?

I like it either way. I think it's a cool build and proof that the slant 6 can make power. I'm sure 100 different guys wouldda done it 100 different ways.

They used some bullshitty cheapass head gasket and KNEW it when it went together. I just don't get it.

Given that they used cast pistons on a boosted build, maybe the intent was a bolt on supercharger in a typical street slant?

For the cost of building the /6 super and charger you could have built two small blocks that made more power than 320 hp and kept there head gaskets.

For the cost of building the /6 super and charger you could have built two small blocks that made more power than 320 hp and kept there head gaskets.
They don't spend their own $$$$$$
They did it to show results from their type build.
There are people that have an interest in the slant.
No one argues the fact of more cheap power available from the SB.
Freeburger hated the build, nough said!:poke::BangHead:

Given that they used cast pistons on a boosted build, maybe the intent was a bolt on supercharger in a typical street slant?
I think maybe @Charrlie_S got it right. I think maybe it was meant to be an N/A build from the rip and somehow a blower fell in their laps. I see no other explanation for cast pistons on a blown motor runnin 10psi. I mean THREE THOUSAND for a blower but wouldn't spend SIX HUNDRED on pistons? that tells me the blower was an afterthought. Even so, it's still cool.

They don't spend their own $$$$$$
They did it to show results from their type build.
There are people that have an interest in the slant.
No one argues the fact of more cheap power available from the SB.
Freeburger hated the build, nough said!:poke::BangHead:
He's a dick. Almost as bad as Randy Bolig. Don't get me started on HIM. lol

But what if You only have one car? Where do You put the other one? Lol....backup??

-
Back