Blown Slant Six Dyno Test

-
I like it either way. I think it's a cool build and proof that the slant 6 can make power. I'm sure 100 different guys wouldda done it 100 different ways.
I bet 95 of them would have used Cometic head gaskets.

I think maybe @Charrlie_S got it right. I think maybe it was meant to be an N/A build from the rip and somehow a blower fell in their laps. I see no other explanation for cast pistons on a blown motor runnin 10psi. I mean THREE THOUSAND for a blower but wouldn't spend SIX HUNDRED on pistons? that tells me the blower was an afterthought. Even so, it's still cool.
This right here.

For the cost of building the /6 super and charger you could have built two small blocks that made more power than 320 hp and kept there head gaskets.
Yeah but then you'd have an engine well over 50% of Mopar guys have. Bein different is cool.

That's what I thought, You're a Prince, :rolleyes:....

Typically in RoadKill half assed fashion.

I learned a lot from them when they were writing magazine articles back in the late 90s. I followed their Green-Brick project for long time. They knew stuff.
But when they went to TV, something happened.
Some of the stuff they do:
would never be done in the real world, or
is just not well-thought out, or
is of very little value or application, or
is just plain stupid.
A lot of this, seems to be due to time-constraints. Like roadkill is just spare-time employment/ let's-get-it-over-with, chit. I can't watch it any more.
I mean, they know their stuff, but seem to have lost the heart for it, like somebody else is pulling the strings, or maybe they are just bored.
The dyno-guy is pretty cool tho.

Last edited:
:eek::eek:
I learned a lot from them when they were writing magazine articles back in the late 90s. I followed their Green-Brick project for long time. They knew stuff.
But when they went to TV, something happened.
Some of the stuff they do:
would never be done in the real world, or
is just not well-thought out, or
is of very little value or application, or
is just plain stupid.
A lot of this, seems to be due to time-constraints. Like roadkill is just spare-time employment/ let's-get-it-over-with, chit. I can't watch it any more.
I mean, they know their stuff, but seem to have lost the heart for it, like somebody else is pulling the strings, or maybe they are just bored.
The dyno-guy is pretty cool tho.
Green brick? That's Ehrenburg & crew from Mopar Action, Dulcich had nothing to do with that, unless there's more than one One Lap of America Valiant...in a parallel universe..

Speaking of steel-shim Slanty gaskets, Charrlie_S got stuck with a pair of them, 3.51" bore. Somebody here bailed on 'em, He had them posted on .org, FYI.

What was the combo, for comparison, cam-static CR-etc....?
All that was available from the late to early 80's. TRW .030 over forged stock ratio pistons, Crane truck cam, ARP main and head studs, self ported head with oversize Ford valves. Pontiac 301 V8 draw through turbo with 600 Holley. All in a 73 Valiant with 3:23 posi, automatic with dual fuel tanks, regular gas and aviation fuel in other.
Ran 13.20's at 103 mph with 18 lbs boost with to much exhaust pressure at 32 lbs..

What kind of management did You use for the fuel mixing?
& "3.23 posi"......Oh no You DIH-ent!!! Lol!

What kind of management did You use for the fuel mixing?
& "3.23 posi"......Oh no You DIH-ent!!! Lol!
Yes, 3:23 posi. 3:91 posi times did not improve. Engine made most effective torque crawling up through RPM range shifting at 6,000 RPM with 3:23 posi.
Fuel monitoring was done with used oxygen sensor and volt meter reading less than .500 to .400 volt.
Always wanted to try a two speed power glide with transbrake and appropriate converter with home made adapter. Never did.. Too much fun as is!!

Yes, 3:23 posi. 3:91 posi times did not improve. Engine made most effective torque crawling up through RPM range shifting at 6,000 RPM with 3:23 posi.
Fuel monitoring was done with used oxygen sensor and volt meter reading less than .500 to .400 volt.
Always wanted to try a two speed power glide with transbrake and appropriate converter with home made adapter. Never did.. Too much fun as is!!
Nice! Lol....."posi" is a GM term for limited-slip, "Sure-Grip" is Mopar's, hence the callout....We as FABO members are obligated to...lol!
I was curious how You mixed/switched from, automotive & av fuel....

Nice! Lol....."posi" is a GM term for limited-slip, "Sure-Grip" is Mopar's, hence the callout....We as FABO members are obligated to...lol!
I was curious how You mixed/switched from, automotive & av fuel....
I used a three way ball valve up front. At the track I flipped the valve, removed a bowl screw from the Holley, turned on electric pump to flush with avgas. Race.

Don, what track did you run, back then? I ran my turbo Valiant at Island Dragway, in NJ back in the early '80s. I used a Modified Corvair turbo with a 500 Holley 2bbl draw thru on a 170 slant.

Don, what track did you run, back then? I ran my turbo Valiant at Island Dragway, in NJ back in the early '80s. I used a Modified Corvair turbo with a 500 Holley 2bbl draw thru on a 170 slant.
Neet! Maple Grove, Numedia, Beaver springs and South Mountain dragways..

-
Back