Blueprint Engines 408ci Mopar Motor

-
Yup... Choose which two of the three you want.

So your agreeing with me?

I cant tell if your being sarcastic.
Blame the internet for not being able to display sarcasm!

I wholeheartedly agree nemisis...lol. I just heard it a different way and remember it that way...

I did buy the blueprint 408. If you put all the parts down on a piece of paper and price them all out, stroker kit, rebuilt heads, intake. w/p, f/p, carb, MSD dist+wires and machine shop(especially here in Calif)your labor the price comes out to almost the same. I agree 100% to build it yourself and check it to make sure it is absolutely perfect. I was in the need for speed and while doing the rear end,front suspension and tranny, here came the crate engine. The problem I had was an oil leak at the rear seal area,which I had to pull the engine back out (that sucked)they paid the freight to send it back and forth and repair it. In a way it was good so I spent the time to paint the engine compartment (which I should have done the first time). I only complaints I have is the carb is way too lean-its a 1411 and I jetted it to the 3rd level of the 1407. The bypass hose is hokey going from magnum top-end to the old style water pump. I have almost 3k miles and so-far so good.

The real advantage of buying a crate motor is time. You don't have to spend the time to gather all the parts, assemble and machine, clean and clearance every thing. It's a real time saver even if you take it apart and check everything.

I bought a MP crate short block for my car because I had one week to get it back running before the last two points races of the season. I was in second place then so I couldn't waste time waiting for parts to arrive and then the machine shop time which would have surely been at least a month. Yes I took it apart, I needed to cut the valve reliefs anyway, so I added Milidon rod bolts, ARP main studs and balanced everything while it was apart. It's been in my car for over 6 years now with out a problem. I ordered it on Monday, got it on Tuesday, did what I needed to do and had it back in the car running by 4PM the next Saturday ready to go racing that night, then it rained. lol

There is a guy on Maryland Mopars who put one in his car and he likes it. But I have read plenty of horror stories about them that I would not buy one. If you are on a tight budget I'd look for a good standard bore magnum 360 and freshen that up, change the cam, and drop it in. Make a lot of power for not a lot of money and you can build it with good parts for less then that crate engine.

I'm with nemesis on this one. Haven't heard much good about Blueprint engines. Cheap is well CHEAP. Save yourself some $$$. Don't do it.

I'm with nemesis on this one. Haven't heard much good about Blueprint engines. Cheap is well CHEAP. Save yourself some $$$. Don't do it.

Geez I read about half the first page before I realized that this thread is from OH DAM NINE

Zed's Dead, Ned.

i013795.jpg

The guy pitted next to me at the track last weekend had a 408 blue print engine in his 68 cuda.
His cuda was in the fast class (stock tire--red lines)
He was running 12.70's.
The motor ,according to him, had over 30 thousand miles on it.
It's a street car and he told me he drives it everywhere.
If a engine is not built right and you drive it hard it will break pretty fast.
If it's built good......they don't break.
If you get a bad engine,you will know soon after.

My personal favorite is to find a good running engine that someone else already had rebuilt, or is original and lowish miles. This is for money savings, if you don't mind blowing thousands on a full rebuild, go for it, that's always nice :)

I bought a basically stock 318 and swapped cams, heads and intake and for less than 1500 I have an almost brand new, strong running engine to use until I decide on a long term plan.

Damnit...I just re-bumped a dead thread didn't I. Sorry!

-
Back