Bluetooth radio build.

-
Can you using the blue LED for dial illumination or are you using the stock 12V bulb? I heard the Dodge and Plymouth versions were different only in that the Dodge radios light came on with the dash lights and the lower line Plymouth was radio power switched....from my rebuilder.

Thats so cool, how did you get the station preset buttons to manipulate the bluetooth board? They have some pretty stout single board amps available that would fit in there no problem.

I removed the "tuner" part of the tuner assembly and installed microswitches that the pushbuttons hit. The bluetooth board has a harness for the inputs that originally had another separate pcb with tact switches on it. The BT module I used did not have an on board amp so the outputs went to the inputs of the amp module. Pretty simple wiring really. The hardest part is finding room to mount everything.

Can you using the blue LED for dial illumination or are you using the stock 12V bulb? I heard the Dodge and Plymouth versions were different only in that the Dodge radios light came on with the dash lights and the lower line Plymouth was radio power switched....from my rebuilder.
The blue light is the power light on the bluetooth board. But I was looking and the light in the top has a blue filter on it so it should match well lol

I removed the "tuner" part of the tuner assembly and installed microswitches that the pushbuttons hit. The bluetooth board has a harness for the inputs that originally had another separate pcb with tact switches on it. The BT module I used did not have an on board amp so the outputs went to the inputs of the amp module. Pretty simple wiring really. The hardest part is finding room to mount everything.
Do you happen to remember the parts that you used? Got any links for them?

Im still using a bulb for radio illumination. I think I used a green gel on the bulb since my car is green. If going led it might take some trial and error because led's tend to be too bright for an application like this.
Im pretty sure all of them were switched on with the dash lights.

Ok, you're a genius. So spell it out for the electronically retarded. How does this change the original radio? "What all" does it add? ......answer like I am stupid please, because I really don't even know what "Bluetooth" actually is.

Rusty, it really depends on what modules you install. You can install a radio module if you listen to radio. No good stations around here so I just installed bluetooth. With BT you could stream radio from your phone so there is still a radio option there.
Bluetooth basically connects to your phone and you can send music from your phone to the car stereo wireless.
I have 13,650 songs on my phone I can listen to with the push of a button. No fumbling around with cd's.
I discovered bluetooth a few years ago. Now I have it in all my vehicles and both of my garages. Its a great invention.

Ok, you're a genius. So spell it out for the electronically retarded. How does this change the original radio? "What all" does it add? ......answer like I am stupid please, because I really don't even know what "Bluetooth" actually is.
Bluetooth connects to your phone and sends the signal from your phone to the speakers. So with this setup I can play music from my phone to my car speakers. In my radio (moparmikes is alot fancier than mine) basically its just a prop to look original the only function it has is the volume knob. Everything else is gutted and does nothing but appear original lol the knob still turns the tuner and the needle still moves but it dont do anything.

Bluetooth connects to your phone and sends the signal from your phone to the speakers. So with this setup I can play music from my phone to my car speakers. In my radio (moparmikes is alot fancier than mine) basically its just a prop to look original the only function it has is the volume knob. Everything else is gutted and does nothing but appear original lol the knob still turns the tuner and the needle still moves but it dont do anything.

So then, if I wanted to retain a radio function, how would I control it?

So then, if I wanted to retain a radio function, how would I control it?
If you wanted to keep the radio functional I would do something else lol you. Could add a bluetooth board and wire it in with the existing wiring all you need to run bluetooth is 12 volts. They make boards like the one mike used that is just bluetooth and doestn have the volume knob and amplifier built into it. It would wire in with your existing radio. But I have no idea how to do that lol that's over my head that's why I went this route it was the simplest why I could figure out how to do it 12 volts and speaker wire.

I wonder if I could run this setup to a external amp and get more sound out of it? I dont know alot about car stereo and how that works. But I know you have to power the amp with the car battery so could I run the speaker wires from this radio to an amp and get more sound out of it?

If you wanted to keep the radio functional I would do something else lol you. Could add a bluetooth board and wire it in with the existing wiring all you need to run bluetooth is 12 volts. They make boards like the one mike used that is just bluetooth and doestn have the volume knob and amplifier built into it. It would wire in with your existing radio. But I have no idea how to do that lol that's over my head that's why I went this route it was the simplest why I could figure out how to do it 12 volts and speaker wire.

Ok, let me as this. Is there "something" I can wire into my little Kenwood shaft radio that will allow me to put say a USB port on it?

Ok, let me as this. Is there "something" I can wire into my little Kenwood shaft radio that will allow me to put say a USB port on it?
Send me a picture of it? It may have a aux port If it does you can get a aux bluetooth that will plug right in it. That's how I did my truck radio to get bluetooth

This is what I used in my truck simple cheap and effective

Screenshot_20200508-235915_eBay.jpg

This one has a cassette deck. LMAO Note I said "shaft radio". LOL
Never heard the term "shaft radio" lol I remember when I was younger we had cassette that plugged into cd players so you could listen to CD thru your cassette player. I wonder if they have those for bluetooth haha lmao

Never heard the term "shaft radio" lol I remember when I was younger we had cassette that plugged into cd players so you could listen to CD thru your cassette player. I wonder if they have those for bluetooth haha lmao

This is a shaft style radio. See the two knobs? They are on shafts that come through the dash.

VIXEN RADIO.jpg

There WERE cassette adaptors at one time, you pop it in and there is a input to the gizmo and you plug that into your phone etc

Yeah but that's not what I want because it empty spins the cassette motor and I ain't lookin for that.

There are also fm transmitters that connect to your phone. Tune radio to specific station and listen to your phones music

Use the fm transmitter type. It plugs in cig lighter and will trnsmit bluetooth to the radio through the fm channel programmed in.
This is the simplest was to add BT to a vehicle. Down side is its not hidden.

bluetooth fm | eBay

-
Back