Body putty for seams

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi guys. Hope yall are enjoying the summer.
I have been cleaning up the trunk of my 63 Dart converbible so I can paint it and in doing so found that the body putty that seams the seams was contaminated by some oil or something and would pop up in chunks.
This is the stuff that seals the cracks and seams and not body filler so I am trying to find what it is and where I can find it.
Anyone have some help on that stuff?
Also should I paint first then the putty or putty first then paint?
Thanks yall.
John

what you're looking for is seam sealer all the parts stores have it available you just have to order it or ask for it specifically .comes in a bag like tube kind of like cookie dough

You can get 3M firm set seam sealer in a tube that you use with a caulk gun. It will shrink and crack if applied too heavily. A brushable seam sealer in a can works well too. It tends to be a little creamier and easy to spread. You'll find either at an automotive paint supplier or online.

You'll get the best protection by laying down a coat of epoxy primer before applying the seam sealer. That way, if the sealer were to fail, you'd still have a barrier against rust underneath. But the factory didn't do that so...

Attachments

• trunkjimg_01.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 315
When I did the Demon a guy at a body shop told me to buy it at Home Depot. Can't remember exactly the name, but the same stuff a lot cheaper. Worked great, painted over it.

after44 years the sealer on my fish comes off with a fingernail. I will be using a lot of the stuff. Cleaning out the old cracked sealer from my drip rails now.

I used the POR-15 Patch. It is a little pricey however I was using it for its rustproofing qualities.

It may not have been tar but it was black and they were buying it at Home Depot. I though RestoRick.com was selling it also but I dont see it on his site.

On my duster I used a couple different types from my local body shop. It's right around $8 a tube ( looks like a tube of caulk but is actual seam sealer). I used a tan color sealer ( autobody master brand) and also used a black sealer ( transtar brand) both worked great. And bot give you more aesthetically pleasing seams as they not only seal seams but level them.

I etch primed and 2k primed the car and then used the seam sealer and then primer sealered the car to lock it all in. And then base cleared the car. It all came out great.

If you look in my build thread ( link in signature below). I'm sure you will see a lot of pictures of the sealer.

Good luck!

-
Back