Body Stripes

-

ermarccio

Reaction score
What do you guys generally do for flat black stripes? I have a '68 Barracuda and it's ready for paint. It's Frost Blue and originally had the flat black side stripes. I'm debating having the stripes painted on and under the clear coat. If I go this root the black will be glossy, but really clean and easy to maintain. But what are my options to keep the flat finish? Do most of you go with vinyl stripes or paint the flat black on over the top coat? Or are there other options?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

I recommend a vinyl stripe in satin (not flat) black.

This way you can remove the stripe if you want at a later date. Another plus of a vinyl stripe is that if you ever get in a situation where you need to re-align a fender or door it's much easier to put on a new sticker than repaint half your car.

Cleaning is not an issue with modern automotive vinyl, you simply wash your car like you normally would.

DSC00055.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any issues with wax sticking around the edges or discolorong them? I'm pretty sure I've seen the vinyl stripes available at YearOne. Would you recommend those or are there better?

Thanks again!

Paint the stripes in flat black...once they are dry..tape them off and do the rest of the car

I hemmed and hawed about whether to go gloss or flat for the side strip on my car. I finally decided on a gloss vinyl stripe. I like the look much better than the flat color and am glad I went that way.

NewTires007-1.jpg

The modern strips are so thin that I have not had any issues with wax build up in the four years the strip has been on the car.

I got my strip from these guys http://www.performancecargraphics.com/ they did the custom engine size call out for no addtional cost.

Thanks for the info guys!

Anyone know how the black '68 side stripes came originally? Flat/matte or semi gloss or high gloss? Where they painted on or were they a vinyl sticker?

I am gonna be painting mine soon I work for a paint co and asked around. The suggestion I am gonna go with is to paint the main color, then clear and then tape off area to be striped scuff area and paint with a single stage flat black. if you are going to go with a gloss black it makes things simpler in that both colors would get a clear coat.

I am gonna be painting mine soon I work for a paint co and asked around. The suggestion I am gonna go with is to paint the main color, then clear and then tape off area to be striped scuff area and paint with a single stage flat black.

That is not a very good way to go, in my opinion.

Machine cut stripes in something like 3M vinyl would look better, be more exact, and last longer.

Don't know why people are hung up on flat. Satin (semi-gloss) is what would be correct, and maintains it's sheen, unlike a painted flat.

-
Back