borgeson u joint

-

twister360

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these to replace rag joint on 74 Duster? Part number and vendor?

I don't like them. If your Duster has a Rag joint, it isn't stock, but the U-joint doesn't accommodate chassis flex and can bust stuff.

I like the pot couplings, and wish someone would sell me the wire lid retainer off of one.

Actually mine has the original steering coupler but it and the headers don't get along. I've often heard the original coupler called a rag joint but it is original to car. The headers are installed and I can't get in there to modify it so it does not hit the coupler. What about the joint from Flaming River @ about $200.00.

i just did mine. got mine from summit racing. you need 3/4"x36 spline for the steering box end and i used 3/4 DD shaft and then i welded and blended it into the factory steering shaft. i still plan to sleeve and pin the joint. this greatly improved the steering in my car. the factory joint in mine was very sloppy. this has ZERO slop.

unijoint2.jpg

i just installed one on my ramcharger it completely took the slop out of the steering getting them for my power wagon and the dart when that time comes

I've used them for several years with my 67 dart and 66 cuda with no issues. There is a mopar specific part number available. Just give them a call.

i just installed one on my ramcharger it completely took the slop out of the steering getting them for my power wagon and the dart when that time comes

If you had the coupler like the classic mopars and had slop it was put together wrong at some time.If the metal pieces that go on the pins are put in wrong that will cause slop if put in correct there is no way of having slop due to the coupler

Just put the Flaming river in my 71 Dart. Had the same problem with the heades and the cap on the rag joint. It's pricey but nice!

Attachments

• 2013-02-21_18-45-26_945.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 361
i just did mine. got mine from summit racing. you need 3/4"x36 spline for the steering box end and i used 3/4 DD shaft and then i welded and blended it into the factory steering shaft. i still plan to sleeve and pin the joint. this greatly improved the steering in my car. the factory joint in mine was very sloppy. this has ZERO slop.

unijoint2.jpg

Younggun, I've heard both 3/4-36 & 5/8-36. is there a deliniating year in there somewhere? I've got a '73 with PS

You have 5/8" 36 spline on your PS box. Steering shaft is 3/4 dia.

The spline is specific to Mopar. Don't get stuck with the 36 tooth unit intended for Vega steering box like I did. Doesn't work.

-
Back