Both headlamps blew at the same time ?

-
Well I couldn't find a clear fault in the harness, I'm losing a little bit at every brake in the circuit. Gave mark at MAD a call and ordered one of his amp gauge bypass kits. Once I get the wiring i'll put it in, and give the bulkhead connector a real good clean then test again .... I'm confident I will see a difference once the bypass mod is done ..

There are only so many connections in that circuit. I've outlined them, but you are right, "it does add up."

Another approach you can take is to use (a) relay(s) to take the load off the wiring and ignition switch harness.

Never thought about using a relay to bear the load. I'll see what happens once I do this amp gauge bypass, hoping it does something!

Finally got around to doing the amp gauge bypass. Almost gained a full volt over the ignition harness. Volt gauge seems to be more steady, before it would bounce back and forth at idle. Headlamps no longer flicker at every stop light ! after a good test drive I put a meter on the battery and was at 14.4, then checked at the ignition side of the ballast that feeds the VR and was at 13.8. When I was taking the female terminals out of the bulkhead connector, both the red and black power wires were melted to the connector. Hopefully all is good from here on out !! Thanks to all for the help / advice ...

Well you gained quite a bit. The 13.8 shows the VR is doing exactly what it's supposed to. The 14.4 shows there's still some drop there, so .6 volt

When you take a breath and get things settled down, you might take a look at the ignition switch and connector, or go ahead with the relay project.

I suspected the ignition switch when I was checking things and not really finding a definitive problem. I checked voltage going into ignition switch before connector, and voltage coming out of switch after connector and it was only a .1V difference. that should have eliminated the switch and connector being an issue .... Now if I can just get over the fear of blowing more headlamps I will be fine !

-
Back