Bottoming Out!! Need S/s Springs????

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
Ok...finally got the demon back and have been workin on'r... runnin great, but everytime someone rides in the back i bottom out over bumps..by that i mean..the tires rub the outter rear fenderwells...i think it's bc of the stock slant 6 springs.. ok well... I've heard about how if you get 2 of the same # s/s springs yoou shouldn't have an akward stance..can anyone confirm this or give me any better info???..what else would i need to give this babe like a 1.5"-2" lift...hopefully just the springs???...just got brand new kyb shocks....will these work with newer s/s springs???i hope so.. :-(.. Anyone got any complete list/prices of all this stuff...so far i got summit for around $260 including shipping...What's with this ESPO guyz..i junted but couldn't find any spring info...on there site that is..thanks to all...

Have you thought about running shackle bars with the springs? The funny lift on the passenger side isn't that bad either, i got my s/s springs from mancini...

PICT1284.jpg

PICT1283.jpg

rspo said that i have worn down slant 6 springs...and that the 340 springs were stiffer anyways..so what do ya'll think i should go with? maybe a spring that is 1" over a 340 spring, or should i go 2" over a 340 spring..i'm just thinkin that a worn down slant 6 spring might be 2" lower than a 1" lifted 340 spring???any tips would be great

Had the exact same problem you do. Sagging old 6cyl leafs in my Dart. Replaced 'em with 002/003 S/S springs from Mancini. Ride height was perfect (for me) after they went on. Went from wheel lip on qtr below the top of the tire, to wheel lip just above the top of the tire. Cranked my T-bars up a little to get the front up some and the rake is perfect! (again, for me) Some prefer a lower stance.

Passenger side sits a little higher than Driver side to account for twist when you launch but it doesnt bother me.

Before & After pics attached....sorry I dont have a good side shot of After.

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

What's with this ESPO guyz..i junted but couldn't find any spring info...on there site that is..thanks to all...

the people at espo took the springs off the site to draw attention to the rest of the stuff they sell. they still sell them you just need to call them....

i have espo springs on jamie's dart and really like them... i got the +1" ones.

also hear alot of happy guys that bought the jc whitney springs.

I had extra springs lying around from M bodies.
I just took them apart and swapped some leaves in to get the ride height and stiffness I wanted.
It's not rocket science since I did it.
If you have some or can get some cheap that’s the way to go.
Build what you want and you know it will be good.
Seems like it was just one leaf to do it.
I wanted very little "lift" since Mopar meant for the spring to have little or no arch at rest.
But I had the same problem with load because of my 15 inch tires and wider rear.

Why not just put a good set of Air Shocks under the rear.....put it where you want depending on the amount of weight you have at the time. Back in the old days, it was the 'fad' to see who could get away with having their car jacked up the highest without getting a ticket from the local state troopers.
On my 73 Duster that I've recently finished, I put air shocks on it so if I want to travel low and lean, I just let out some of the air. If I want to have that 'old days' look, I pop it up where I want it ....... just my 2¢ worth.

Greg.......mtn_jake

To compensate for the right side being higher with S/S springs just turn up the left side torsion bar to level the car.

Chuck

i was thinking air shocks..but i just put in some new kybs and don't want them to be a waste of $$$...

i was thinking air shocks..but i just put in some new kybs and don't want them to be a waste of $$$...
Just my .02, but I would DEFINITELY stay away from longer shackles. Back in the '70's air shocks were the way to go, but now I'd definitely look to S/S or XHD springs as the right way to go. I've learned over the years that it's best (and cheaper) to save up and do it the right way once rather than keep paying for different wrong ways.

Had the exact same problem you do. Sagging old 6cyl leafs in my Dart. Replaced 'em with 002/003 S/S springs from Mancini. Ride height was perfect (for me) after they went on. Went from wheel lip on qtr below the top of the tire, to wheel lip just above the top of the tire. Cranked my T-bars up a little to get the front up some and the rake is perfect! (again, for me) Some prefer a lower stance.

Passenger side sits a little higher than Driver side to account for twist when you launch but it doesnt bother me.

Before & After pics attached....sorry I dont have a good side shot of After.
I like the stance - looks aggresive.

how rough are the ss srpings..i've heard bc they are for teh track, that they are really rough

I like mine alot. I think if you use really heavy duty shocks they ride good. I used a pair of Dakota truck shocks. The ride is firm to say the least, but not harsh. I also flipped the front hangars to eliminate the excess lift which I don't need for my wheel/tire combo and it appears to be a nearly stock ride height.

a guy told me that gabirel shocks are great...i'm thinkin of maybe just rearchin' these and doin that..or add a leaf and do that..i'm just soooo confused..lol....plus there's a pic of a dart sport on ebay with ar shocks..to me..looks like the perfect ride height..let's see if i can post the pic

ca76_3.jpg

My car rides better with the S/S springs than it did with the worn out 6 cyl leafs. It's not bad at all.

no doubt beatnik that your ride looks awesome..i can see a huge difference..like 3-4" difference....looks awesome...i just have been tryin to find someone with pics...on a dmeon,duster,or dart sport..due to it'll give me an idea of the stance..

Beatnik, Looks great without the extra trim too. Thats one of the first things I did to my dart when I bought it. Hopefully I'll get mine sitting like yours, it looks great.

man i wish i has a 71 swinger DROOL!!!! guess i'll just settle with my 56' fairlane...debatin on a 2.3l turbo conversion or a turbo diesel conversion :)

I used to have air shocks. Now I have SS springs. Air shocks rode like a buckboard. Super stock springs are a much more comfortable ride. I'd like the rear to sit down a little more. Maybe they'll settle a bit after I get a spare in the trunk and drive it some more.

DSC00071 (Small).JPG

-
Back