Bought a duster shell , vin # is on a blacklist , now what ?

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Hi guys , bought an old duster shell that i had a couple of years ago , flipped it and bought it back , the car is all appart and in pieces, as good parts for my 69 valiant , but anyway the vin # is on a blacklist on internet , someone put the vin on sale on ebay a couple of years ago , tought about selling the duster to my little cousin for his 1st mopar but dobt want to well him a car that the vin as a redflag on the net...i think the webmaster of the site is a member here if im not mistaken, did you guys ever been in thi kind of position ? Thx

This all sounds like a huge pile of manure, selling vin # and all. It doesn’t sound legal either.

Was the VIN number actually sold? Or just listed for sale?

If you actually have the VIN tag still you might be able to talk to @Alaskan_TA about it.

If the VIN tag was sold online, well, that's going to be a problem. It may not be an unsurmountable problem, but I don't know Canada's laws well enough to advise. I know in California there are ways to get a car missing a VIN tag registered, but that varies significantly state to state so I'm sure Canada is a whole different ball game. And if the buyer of your cars VIN has used it to register a different car, well, that's a real problem.

Blacklist? ... What does that even mean ?

It's just listed on the Hamtramck website, the VIN is typed out and the notes say the VIN was listed for sale (or sold, I don't know the VIN). Basically it would be searchable, so if you typed in the VIN and searched it would pop up as illegally listed for sale or sold.

Legally it doesn't mean much unless law enforcement has it flagged too, or they check the 'net before they go through the process of issuing a new VIN or something. Again, it depends entirely on how Canada treats this sort of thing.

But if you were going to buy a car for sale and did an internet search on the VIN and found out the VIN was sold online, well, that would be an issue for the seller. I know I wouldn't buy a car like that unless there was a VERY good explanation from the seller and a corresponding check to the DMV to make sure I wasn't getting a stolen car. Or even one I couldn't register. But more than likely it would mean I wouldn't buy the car, which is probably how most people would treat it.

It was up for sale on ebay but didnt sell , i didnt know that the guy put the vin on ebay , car is a pile of poop but can be restored or being converted to a race car etc , it was a couple of years ago but dont want to sell that to my 19 year old cousin , just wondering if somebody had this kind of problem .

This all sounds like a huge pile of manure, selling vin # and all. It doesn’t sound legal either.
I wasnt the guy who put the vin for sale , i bought the full car , completly appart and in boxes , and a lot of important parts are not there anymore , air cleaner and # engine and trans

See if you can get the original vin tag. Contact the seller if possible.

Happens often with cars that are being parted and the dash goes one way, the shell another direction.

It was up for sale on ebay but didnt sell , i didnt know that the guy put the vin on ebay , car is a pile of poop but can be restored or being converted to a race car etc , it was a couple of years ago but dont want to sell that to my 19 year old cousin , just wondering if somebody had this kind of problem .

If you have the original VIN tag I don't think you have a big problem. Again, I don't know the DMV rules where you're at but if you have the original VIN tag I would think you could get it registered/titled legally.

If you do have the VIN tag you might try contacting @Alaskan_TA and see if he'll remove the VIN from his list. It's there to keep people from getting ripped off, if the VIN stayed with the car I would think that's not as big a concern

OP has still not answered the "big question."

Is the dash frame in the car and is the VIN tag on the dash? Further, most all these cars (after 68) had additional body stampings with the partial VIN, usually on the rad support and the rear fender/ trunk lip. DO YOU have the title?

OldManMopar claims (and I'm not disputing, he knows his stuff) that there were some Dusters manufactured WITHOUT additional body stampings.

on dusters, body stamping is usually on package tray near dr side speaker hole

Exactly rad support as no numbers on them , even grinded the paint to bare metal , the dash is appart and the vin is in a sandwich bag , the car is at my name ( registration @ canada ) nothing left to restore it really , i mean as a matching number car , its best to be a street strip car or a race car , but still the vin # as a black flag on it and it sucks , it happen in the years that it wasnt at my name anymore. Unfortunately lots of guy around the world put vins on the net and yes it sucks it you dont have the complete car and # matching drive train

-
Back