Bought a Truck!

-
I'm going to pull the box off and rework the shocks/airbags in the rear because the guy that put them in just bolted everything in place and they are looser than all hell. I also don't like the shock extensions sticking 1 1/2' out of the bed so I am going to weld in a cross member for the shocks and patch the 2 square holes cut in the bed. I may also box in the frame where they had it C-notched.

Here is the back side of the crank out of the 66 Dart.It is already turned 0.10 and the end of the crank is drilled and goes in roughly 2 1/2" anyone know what bearing I will need?

Photo0125.jpg

Stock 225 with headers, 2bbl and electronic ignition, I will be upgrading to HEI and GM one wire. :snakeman:
Photo0123.jpg

Photo0122.jpg

This came with it along with a factory blue tint windshield and some misc parts. Eventually I will swap over to a floor shifted aluminum cased OD 4 speed
Photo0120.jpg

I got rid of the ugly stock blue wheel and put on the original Superior 500 I have had hanging on the wall.
Photo0121.jpg

Shotty craftsmanship!!! It will be fixed!

Photo0116.jpg

Photo0118.jpg

Photo0119.jpg

Photo0117.jpg

It cleaned up pretty good. extra points to whoever can ID the front bumper:-D

Photo0113.jpg

Photo0114.jpg

Photo0124.jpg

dang! you do have some work "cut" out for you...you'll need leaf springs too! yes. please fix that hack job in the bed...thats just WRONG!

Aloha

Nice, been watching that truck come up on Craigslist since before I deployed. Very glad he didn't get what he originally put it up for LOL, you worked him way down congrats :)....Craigslist is the bane of my existence, still have massive work to do on the fish and here I am looking at 2 possible daily drivers...'68 Dart or '69 Javelin SST....I need another vehicle like i need a hole in the head, they should have AA for CVB(compulsive Vehicle Buying)....anyway back to the truck I don't envy you having to redesign and redo his hack job, thats atrocious.

Digging the steering wheel, much better.

Is that bumper off a Ford pickup?

That header looks to be in pretty good condition considering your locale.

dang! you do have some work "cut" out for you...you'll need leaf springs too! yes. please fix that hack job in the bed...thats just WRONG!

Aloha

The shock extensions aren't that bad, alot of guys install them like that it's just that they didn't have a welder so they bolted it al in and it worked it self loose. Most guys will leave the shocks out when they install airbags and that is a bad thing! Either way it is getting fixed!

Nice, been watching that truck come up on Craigslist since before I deployed. Very glad he didn't get what he originally put it up for LOL, you worked him way down congrats :)....Craigslist is the bane of my existence, still have massive work to do on the fish and here I am looking at 2 possible daily drivers...'68 Dart or '69 Javelin SST....I need another vehicle like i need a hole in the head, they should have AA for CVB(compulsive Vehicle Buying)....anyway back to the truck I don't envy you having to redesign and redo his hack job, thats atrocious.

What was he originally asking for it? I saw it for 900 and tried to offer 700 cash but he was sticking firm to 900. I figured that 900 for a rust free SWB truck with a title wasn't too bad of a deal. The airbag kit alone is worth $300.

There is still a little tweaking that I need to do but I am liking how it is coming out.

I ended up using some A-body 8 1/4-8 3/4 shock plates and threw in the 2" lowering blocks I had just to see how it will look. Going with the A-body plates gave me the lower shock mounts back in the stock location. The uppers are close to the stock location and will fit but they are twisted just a hair and I am afraid that they may end up binding so i have a 4' piece of 2" tubing that I will cut down to the right size (33 5/8 I think) and weld that in front of the stock crossmember to match the angle of the shocks.

The guy I got it from also took out all but 2 of the rear leafs, I will feel better after I add at least one more to each side. Anyone know of a good truck in the yards to take the leafs out of?

Photo0127.jpg

These are the bolts that were holding in the shock towers that were sticking up through the bed. All 4 were like this! "Remember kids lock washers are your friends!"

Photo0129.jpg

Photo0130.jpg

Photo0131.jpg

Photo0132.jpg

You can kinda see the goofy angle that the shock is at.
Photo0133.jpg

Here we are with the air let out of the bags...

Photo0134.jpg

That's looks much, much better. Now ya just need some billet shocks to set it off. :thebirdm: :poke: :snakeman:

Wylde1.

What was he originally asking for it? I saw it for 900 and tried to offer 700 cash but he was sticking firm to 900. I figured that 900 for a rust free SWB truck with a title wasn't too bad of a deal. The airbag kit alone is worth $300.

He's deffinatly dropped it a lot. The posts started about a year ago, it went up about the same time as another swb d100 with a 440 from bremmerton area, your trucks owner was asking around 2500-3k if i remember right, i remember it was over 2k because it was more expensive than the other one and in worse shape lol.

He's deffinatly dropped it a lot. The posts started about a year ago, it went up about the same time as another swb d100 with a 440 from bremmerton area, your trucks owner was asking around 2500-3k if i remember right, i remember it was over 2k because it was more expensive than the other one and in worse shape lol.

The guy told me that he needed 900 bucks to get his motor out of the shop. I tried to offer 800 but he wouldn't budge.

The motor out of Nikkis 66 Dart is back together with a new cam 10 under mains and rods, stock pistons, gasket matched head with cleaned up valves and new valve seals, new water and oil pumps and fresh paint! I am going to paint the headers with white header paint, and use the offy intake and holley 390 that was on the 48 chevy.

As for the transmission I want an aluminum cased OD 4 speed to replace the 3 speed that is in the truck now but I have a 23 spline NP435 with a bell housing that came with the truck, I don't really want to use it so I might just leave the 3 speed in the truck for now and just put in one of the ebay clutch kits for $130.

I will leave the 3.55 in the truck for now until I get an OD tranny then I will drop in the 3.23 that I got from the artist formerly known as C-stripes.

Anyone have experience with the cheap ebay chromed valvecovers? They don't have any baffles in them so how much oil leaks out the top?

Crappy cell phone pics, it is painted good old engine red!

Photo0191.jpg

yeas my garage is a friggin mess, I know! We just bought the place and I still have to build work benches and get the bath tub, washer/dryer and fridge out of the garage. In order to do all that I need the truck to be running...catch 22!

Photo0190.jpg

Photo0189.jpg

I will leave the 3.55 in the truck for now until I get an OD tranny then I will drop in the 3.23 that I got from the artist formerly known as C-Stripes.

Looking good JR. That is the 3rd member that I was trying to sell you. I ended up doing a trade with Jeremy instead, but it looks like it found you anyway.

Another cool build JR. and at a great price :happy10:
I know you will get this dun and dun right 8) congratulations on a cool purchase :happy10: know I will go back and read your help thread :read2:

Can't help wih the oil pan but you can use a grommet availible from almost any parts store that has bucket with a slit on the bottom that works as a baffle for the VC. Also, you'll most likely have to hammer the sealing surface flat and use a small right angle die grinder with a 80 grit disc to get the chrome off or the gasket will seep.

Got the new motor, clutch, and old 3 speed back in yesterday. I just have to take care of a bunch of little things when I get back from Nevada/Utah on Thursday.

100_5874.jpg

100_5875.jpg

100_5877.jpg

I still have to adjust the valves for the new cam, rob the alt bracket off the slant in the 48 chevy so I can put in a GM one wire, install the HEI unit and wire up the headlight relays. Going with the GM alt and HEI unit replaces all the stock mopar crap like the ballast, ecu, voltage reg, and a handful of old crappy wires with 2 wires! It will look cleaner under the hood, out perform the stock mopar junk and be cheaper/easier to replace when I need to!

I already installed the new under dash harness that came with the truck when I got it. That took care of alot of problems. I also found out where all the slop in the clutch pedal was coming from. The z-bar pivot only had 1/2 the bushing (Thanks Ross!) and the tranny mount was split in half and only had one bolt going through it...nice :angry7:

I decided to just put the 3 on the tree back in for now instead of the NP35 4 speed that came with the truck just so I could get it back on he road asap. I was looking on craigslist and found a cast iron OD 4 speed, bellhousing, flywheel, shifter and new clutch kit all for $100 !!!!! The guy is going to hold it for me until I get back next week.

Nice progress, engine looks great. Tune ups will be a breeze with all that room in there too.

-
Back