Bought an actual working record player today...

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
So we found a late 80s Panasonic stereo system today with a turntable, dual deck cassette players, and AM/FM stereo. The speaker boxes were trash, so I removed the speakers and pitched the rest. I have an older CD player stereo that the speakers are compatible, so that wasn't an issue. Also, the rack that the stereo itself sits on was trash. But, here's the kicker. Every component of the stereo itself works. Both cassette decks work (surprisingly even rewind and fast-forward), the radio picks up very well, and the record player rocks! The only problems that we have come across is that we think the belt is getting a little worn, as I can't adjust the 33 rpm speed adjust pot enough to bring the record up to the correct speed, and we didn't get a 45 rpm adapter. That last part is what my wife is most upset about because she has a sh*tload of old 45s that she hasn't been able to play in over 20 years. But all in all it was a fun evening. The boys looked at it and both asked, "What is that? That's a funny looking CD!" :banghead: Oh, the ignorance of youth!

Anybody else out there still rocking the turntables?

I got a radio with a turntable for free and my 45's play on it.

I still have my Pioneer turntable from my college days. I bought it in 1973. Works fine!

Glenn

yes..brought a bunch of stereo equipment back from overseas while in the AF,,,,still got the technics turntable, pioneer and teac cassette decks...pioneer sx-1250 receiver that weights about 66 lbs..plus a set of bose 901s..

and got two boxes of LPs....

I have the Technics stereo system I bought while in highschool working $3.00 and something an hour minimum wage job on the weekends, saved every single cent to buy it, while my friends working the same job spent all their money on drugs, alcohol and had nothing to show for it, should have seen the look on their faces when I showed it to them, priceless. All these components are still in mint condition because I wouldn't allow anyone back then to touch them.

There's one music store in town that still sells vinyl, gonna have to stop in there tomorrow to see if they have an adapter for the 45s. Also gonna have to see about picking up a new belt as well. Other than that, it wasn't a bad find.

Now, after all that is said and done, we have to rebuild our vinyl collection. That should be fun! Rummage sales, here we come!

Have fun with that stereo! I fire mine up every now and then. The sound from vinyl is deep compared to the flat digital sound. (except for the pop and hiss)
LOL tmm

The pop and hiss is the sound of my childhood! I would spend hours in my room as a kid listening to my old record player, and I love the pop and hiss! It took me a year to get used to CD's because I didn't think they sounded right without it. I figured it would take me awhile to get used to the pop and hiss again, but when that needle dropped and The Police started playing Synchronicity 1, it felt like I had come home! I just thank God that this time around, I don't have to deal with my mom's Donnie and Marie Osmond records!

Just got my 60s70s80s vinyl collection back,about 70 classic albums.Looking at thrift stores/garage sales for a good one.

The pop and hiss is the sound of my childhood! I would spend hours in my room as a kid listening to my old record player, and I love the pop and hiss! It took me a year to get used to CD's because I didn't think they sounded right without it. I figured it would take me awhile to get used to the pop and hiss again, but when that needle dropped and The Police started playing Synchronicity 1, it felt like I had come home! I just thank God that this time around, I don't have to deal with my mom's Donnie and Marie Osmond records!

That's good! Funny. My folks listened to Buck Owens and Patsi Cline.

I still have Van Halen I an II in the original case at moms house I used to listen to when I was a kid on this huge living room size stero that still works.
Mom used to listen to Willy Nelson.

60's Grundig stereo and it works!

Dual turntable

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Camera Oct 2012 311 (Medium).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Camera Oct 2012 312 (Medium).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 136
I am stuck in the 60's... I have 2 turntables one an old B&O 4002 turntable I paid $20 at a yard sale in 1990 girl friend, boy friend fight selling off his **** while he was gone..This turntable cost over $800 in 1984 needed a $20 belt...I travel Florida and my customers were giving me of boxes records since CD were making them obsolete..Or so they thought...Have 1450 albums and over 1850 45's..I bought a Seeburg DS 160 Jukebox in 2000 to play the 45's ..Last year you can see the record being played..I play them all the time...If your wife needs any Beatles 45's ask I have 2 or 3 of each one..Pay to ship records are free...Rick

Technics eliptical baby! Nothing like Traveling Wilburys on vinyl on a Sunday morning.

I just used mine Friday night (for the first time in years, though).

I have a late 70s/early 80s sanyo (when they actually made GOOD stuff).

I also inherited an early 70s Empire, complete with real glass, and teakwood dust cover. It needs a little TLC, but it is badass, and arguably the pinnacle of tt design.

There is a fairly hardcore vinyl/tt cult following.

...and you can carfully place those 45s on the platter, and play them without an adaptor.

I had a great Gerard recored direct drive strobe speed light, Treva sold it but here in my area
I see a few around, so I will be replacing mine record player to listen to my vinyl :coffee2:

I bought my first vinyl back in the mid-60s and still have everything I ever bought. Most all is in pristine condition because back then I got in the habit of recording - first 8 track and later cassettes - from the vinyl to tape to play either at home or in the car.
I still have a Sony turntable I bought over 25 years ago but I need to find a new needle for it. I also got in the habit of cleaning the vinyl everytime before it was played. Now I've got to check to see if I still have the cleaning equipment for it.

Yep. Occasionally get the vinyl out. Running an old Dual transcription turntable that I've had since 1973. Oldest daughter used to call the LPs "Daddy's Big Black CDs". LOL

I remember her coming in saying how she'd heard this new song on Christian radio that went "Jesus is just all right, Jesus is just all right." I asked her if it sounded something like this as I put on one of my records and cranked it up. The Doobie Brothers doing "Jesus is Just All right" popped her eyes wide open.
"That's it, but this is a whole lot better."

My dad has Pioneer turntable that he bought in the late 80's - as well as a Technics that he bought in the late 60's. Haven't used either in quite a long time. Turned on the Pioneer a couple of months ago and made a MP3 recording of some of his records to play at a fundraiser for my oldest son's Marching Band. It was fun telling my kids how a record worked vs a CD! My parents enjoyed listening to their records again as well!

We stopped at a record store today (yes, we still have one) called "GB's Records and Tapes." That place is loaded to the gills with old vinyl! My sister-in-law knows the guys that run the place, so we spent over an hour in there shooting the bull and browsing. Right before we left I told them about the stereo I bought, but that I didn't have a 45 adapter. The guy reaches into a drawer and hands me one, free of charge! That's how you get business! I had looked online last night, and the cheapest one I found was on ebag for three freakin dollars! Some wanted almost $20! For that price, the damn thing better turn itself off and on. But I will definitely be going back to that store! I found sh*tloads of vinyl that I want! Just gotta wait till I have the funds.

Hmm I need to go to Il then! I can't find any local.

A high quality LP with a nice cartridge/needle will blow away any sterile digital sound. LPs got a bad rap because the record companies like Ktel and others were cutting out a billion copies per master and then the owners used those low quality cuts for place mats and who knows what else, then played 'em with absolutely trashed needles. Wonder why LPs didn't sound all that great....?

Still have the Acoustic Research manual turntable and Sansui receiver/tuner from 1973 - along with most of my LPs. They still sound great: early Queen, Deep Purple, Yes, ELP, Kansas, James Gang........

-
Back